Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #41
FiveKaiBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default voltage converter?

well i am thinking of purchasing a voltage converter for the braumeister.

I have 230v in the garage but a voltage converter only costs like 100 bucks and will let me plug this thing in any where and brew.

the braumeister needs 2100 watts to operate. should i buy a 3000 watt or 4000 watt transformer. the price difference is like 15 dollars and i thing that the more power the less work the transformer has to do.

check these out and tell me what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4000-w-Watt-Voltage-Transformer-Regulator-Step-Up-Down-/370359874691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563b2b 3483

http://cgi.ebay.com/4000-w-Watt-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-Step-UP-Down-/250721815659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a602f 4c6b

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #42
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually went with this converter.

http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/diamond-voltage-converter.htm

the 5000

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #43
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
Please keep posting on your Braumeister experiences. I think you may be he first person on the forums who's actually gotten one and is getting ready to brew. I, for one, will not criticize nor denigrate a system with which I have no experience. I am VERY interested in the Speidels products, so please tell us all you can. I have downloaded the English manual, but there's nothing like hands-on experience.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #44
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so just an update if you do not want to purchase a voltage converter. you have to cut the european plug style off of the powercable that comes with the braumeister and wire it to a laudry dryer style plug and plug it in there ot you can buy a plug adapter and use that on any 220v plug.

just an update

Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #45
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
so just an update if you do not want to purchase a voltage converter. you have to cut the european plug style off of the powercable that comes with the braumeister and wire it to a laudry dryer style plug and plug it in there ot you can buy a plug adapter and use that on any 220v plug.

just an update

Good to know! Any idea when you are taking it on its maiden voyage?

Spoke with Thorsten Monday night and he told me mine may be delayed by one week which will put my delivery date somewhere around the 18th of this month.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
Yambor44

Recipes 

You know, now that I think of it, if they are selling these as USA versions from the USA, shouldn't they be plug and play for us here? I'll shoot Thorsten an email.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #47
clasley
Recipes 

Default Alternative to Modifying Plug?

What about keeping the plug intact and using one of these:

http://www.internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=70200X45

-Chris

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #48
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good morning. I just took delivery of the 20l Speidel Braumeister and was getting ready to "cut the cord" when I found this thread. I noticed some have decided to use a voltage transformer/converter instead of replacing the plug on the cord. Has anyone actually used the converter? My concern would be that the amperage draw through the 120V wiring would set off the typical 15 amp circuits in a normal house wiring. I'm guessing that you are choosing the converter so that you can use the boiler on any household outlet, such as in a kitchen. Has anyone replaced the plug with a 240V 30 amp dryer plug. Our dryer plugs are substantially bigger than the plug and cord that comes with the Braumeister. Can anyone offer their experience. Thank you

Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2
Good morning. I just took delivery of the 20l Speidel Braumeister and was getting ready to "cut the cord" when I found this thread. I noticed some have decided to use a voltage transformer/converter instead of replacing the plug on the cord. Has anyone actually used the converter? My concern would be that the amperage draw through the 120V wiring would set off the typical 15 amp circuits in a normal house wiring. I'm guessing that you are choosing the converter so that you can use the boiler on any household outlet, such as in a kitchen. Has anyone replaced the plug with a 240V 30 amp dryer plug. Our dryer plugs are substantially bigger than the plug and cord that comes with the Braumeister. Can anyone offer their experience. Thank you
I have the 50l version coming. Will the product Chris posted a link too work for you? It is in the post just above yours.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #50
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm assuming the braumeister is 220V. What's its current consumption?
Remember, if you use a 120V/220V converter, its current draw will be about double that of its 220V load (actually a little more, due to internal losses). So, if the braumeister needs 15A @ 220V, it will consume little more than 30A through the converter.

Also, before cutting down the cord and powering it up on 240V, I suggest you read the manual, and eventually contact the manufacturer. Germans are known for building their equipment to very exact specifications, so there's a chance the 220V BM may not withstand an almost 10% higher voltage.

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Quick Reply