Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #481
hfk2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Chris, did you run the pump with elbow in place after cooling and did it whirlpool the hops and trub in the center of the pot?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #482
clasley
Recipes 

Yambor44 - the 20l has one pump.

hfk2 - I ran it with the immersion chiller to get to temp then removed the chiller and whirlpooled for another 10 minutes or so, shutoff the pump and let it all settle out. The cone wasn't perfect but it was an improvement from before.

-Chris

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #483
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post

hfk2 - I ran it with the immersion chiller to get to temp then removed the chiller and whirlpooled for another 10 minutes or so, shutoff the pump and let it all settle out. The cone wasn't perfect but it was an improvement from before.

-Chris
I just use a stainless strainer hanging inside my fermentation bucket. Catches all that gunk!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #484
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

-Chris
Did you previously whirlpool with a spoon, like I do? Just trying to understand what the improvement is based on.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #485
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Good question - thoughts?

Rob
I'm thinking an indirect path to the grain bed can't hurt, but I'm no expert. It would seem to make it a lot more 'even of a flow of liquid - but there is probably only one way to find out.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #486
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Threw caution to the wind and tried it on my last brew day, a Belgian Dubbel with 13.5 lbs of grain. Put it in before I added water - heated, added the malt pipe and crossed my fingers. Ran the entire process with it in place without a hitch. Next time I may not be so lucky but it seems to be pretty solid.

-Chris
One other question. How was your efficiency compared to previous batches? Not sure if you've brewed that particular beer before, but just thinking through it from a percentage basis.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #487
clasley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Did you previously whirlpool with a spoon, like I do? Just trying to understand what the improvement is based on.
Yes, previously I've used a spoon. The results were as good or better - need more data points (aka more beer) to make a final judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
One other question. How was your efficiency compared to previous batches? Not sure if you've brewed that particular beer before, but just thinking through it from a percentage basis.
It was down a bit (~5%) from what I've been seeing but I milled this at home. I usually get my recipes pre-ground from Brewmasters Warehouse - this batch was from my local homebrew shop. Again more data points/beer needed.

-Chris

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #488
waynemil
Recipes 

I like your idea Chris, that is what my dip tube mod looks like to drain the beer. i was thinking about your mod and might add about 15 inches of silicone tubing so the wort actually exits at the top of the wort chiller. I think Jamal had a picture of this on one of the brew forums, it was for a basic kettle, not the Speidel, but for anyone using the immersion chiller. I will try and find the link.

Wayne

Quote:

-Chris

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #489
waynemil
Recipes 

I found the link for a cool mod to make a whirlpooling immersion chiller. Read the whole article-- really informative and interesting. One note, the extra copper in the picture is just a reflection not another chiller. Seems like we could put a piece of tubing into the output of the pump and let it exit right at the chiller. Any of you engineer types give it a try and report back. Here is the link:
http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemil View Post
I like your idea Chris, that is what my dip tube mod looks like to drain the beer. i was thinking about your mod and might add about 15 inches of silicone tubing so the wort actually exits at the top of the wort chiller. I think Jamal had a picture of this on one of the brew forums, it was for a basic kettle, not the Speidel, but for anyone using the immersion chiller. I will try and find the link.

Wayne

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #490
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm at page 12-13 and saw a nice blueprint for a dip tube for the 20L unit. Sure my physics is rusty but how come a pipe that is bent low is able to suck wort up?

The problem I had was that when I was tipping the unit forward to get last of the wort to flow into the FV, unless I had the BM over the edge of the table the unit was resting on the control unit which I reckon isn't healthy.

Quick Reply