Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 AM   #471
waynemil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 21
Default

I'm such a knucklehead--All I had to do was look left to your profile, but I was so fascinated by the cinematography i could not take my eyes off the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
You are dead on. I was born and raised in Gainesville them moved and finished 8-12th grades in Starke which is where I'm sure I picked up my "accent". Moved to Ocala in 91.

Where did you go to high school?

Back to Wayne. I use ice water for the entire chilling process pumped thru the chiller with a sump pump.
__________________
waynemil is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #472
clasley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 40
Default Simple Whirlpool Attachment

Tested a simple mod on my 20l unit to add more of a whirlpool to the pump output. Used a 1" length of 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD silicone tubing press fit into the pump output with a 1/2" copper street elbow on top. Fits nicely under the bottom of the malt pipe and left me with a nice center cone. If you're using an immersion chiller there should just be enough room under the bottom plate of the malt pipe to replace the elbow with a 45 degree elbow directing the wort up to distribute the heat better.

I didn't run into any issues adding this to the mix - don't curse my name if you try it and do. I can't imagine removing the malt pipe and fishing around in hot wort to work this out would be much fun.

-Chris

dsc_0017.jpg   dsc_0014.jpg   dsc_0013.jpg  
__________________
clasley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #473
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,955
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemil View Post
I'm such a knucklehead--All I had to do was look left to your profile, but I was so fascinated by the cinematography i could not take my eyes off the screen
OMG I almost lost my beer!!
__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #474
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,955
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Chris,

I'm lost a bit. Did you try it on a brew day or with just cool water? I would imagine you wouldn't want to add that until after you removed the malt pipe eh?

Rob

__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #475
clasley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 40
Default Feet Edge Guards

Wanted something under my 20l to keep it from sliding around and keep the stainless 'feet' from scratching my new stainless table. Found just the thing at the local auto parts store - car door edge guard. Comes in a few colors (I went with clear) and it's cheap, <$4 for 2x27" pieces. I used a heat gun to soften up the bends around the corners. I'm sure there are several manufactures out there but here are the details on what I found to work:

Cowles Products U-Door Edge - T3800

-Chris

dsc_0028.jpg  
__________________
clasley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #476
clasley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Did you try it on a brew day or with just cool water? I would imagine you wouldn't want to add that until after you removed the malt pipe eh?
Threw caution to the wind and tried it on my last brew day, a Belgian Dubbel with 13.5 lbs of grain. Put it in before I added water - heated, added the malt pipe and crossed my fingers. Ran the entire process with it in place without a hitch. Next time I may not be so lucky but it seems to be pretty solid.

-Chris
__________________
clasley is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #477
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,955
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasley View Post
Threw caution to the wind and tried it on my last brew day, a Belgian Dubbel with 13.5 lbs of grain. Put it in before I added water - heated, added the malt pipe and crossed my fingers. Ran the entire process with it in place without a hitch. Next time I may not be so lucky but it seems to be pretty solid.

-Chris
Cool. Good to know. Let us know if that changes.

Good find on the edge tamer. EVERY time I have brewed I cut my finger(s) when cleaning the BM out when I lift and dump...EVERY time.
__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #478
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 981
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

This thread rocks! I'm definitely going to try Chris's whirlpool mod when I get mine as that's something I was thinking about. I mean you have a pump... Why not a whirlpool integrated? Brilliant!

You'll have to keep us updated on how the mod holds up through your next few brew sessions. The only thing I can think it might impact is that the pump has to work a bit harder on the bend to keep up the circulation through the grain bed. If you didn't have a problem with a large malt bill though, it would appear to not be an issue.

Rob - wondering if this would help or hurt your channeling issue?

__________________
Kegged: Waldo Lake Amber, Notty as Helles, Vanilla Porter, Sweet Stout (nitro), NB Surly Furious Clone, Petite Saison D'ete, Le Seigle Belge Saison, BM Cream of 3 Crops, Edworts Apfelwein
Bottled: Nada!
In Process: Braggot
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld
makomachine is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #479
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,955
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Chris - How many pumps are on the 20L?

__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #480
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 1,955
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
This thread rocks! I'm definitely going to try Chris's whirlpool mod when I get mine as that's something I was thinking about. I mean you have a pump... Why not a whirlpool integrated? Brilliant!

You'll have to keep us updated on how the mod holds up through your next few brew sessions. The only thing I can think it might impact is that the pump has to work a bit harder on the bend to keep up the circulation through the grain bed. If you didn't have a problem with a large malt bill though, it would appear to not be an issue.

Rob - wondering if this would help or hurt your channeling issue?

Good question - thoughts?

Rob
__________________
Yambor44 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I met the Boulevard's Brewmaster Friday DannPM General Beer Discussion 1 02-02-2011 05:56 AM
braumeister noobster101 General Beer Discussion 22 06-03-2010 04:50 PM
#1 cool job: brewmaster Spunkmeyer General Beer Discussion 9 06-03-2008 04:50 AM
how to contact sierra nevada brewmaster grrtt78 General Beer Discussion 8 02-07-2007 06:19 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS