Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #421
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Rob / Chris - thanks for the input. It definitely sounds like the 20L is the right fit for me given your input.

Do you use whirl floc or Irish moss in your process? I had some haze issues early on in my brewing process and the addition of those cleared things up for me. I have used both in the course of my brewing - whirl floc seems to give slightly better results in my process from what I can tell.

I've read some that cloudy wort was a problem when people Sparge on this system, but I've dealt with really cloudy wort in my batch sparging that resulted in clear beer with the finings mentioned and a little cold conditioning prior to bottling or in the keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #422
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Chris and I discussed this in a PM I think. We were wondering if the cloudy wort could be the result of the time it takes to chill the wort with the SS chiller from Spiedel. Both the 20l and 50l chiller takes the tamp down to around 80-85 in about 20 minutes but then it "sticks" for another 25-30 to get it to pitching temps.

I have used ice water the entire time and it doesn't chill it any quicker than tap/ice water combination. When I was using my copper IC with my 15 gallon keggles (10 gallon batch) I could chill to pitch in 20 minutes while recirculating.

With the BM I have done it without the pumps on, with the pumps on and with and without while stirring - all the exact same time to chill.

I have my old copper chiller I will try this weekend and post the results.

If I were to do it all over, I would definitely not buy one of the chillers, rather use my own or purchase a new less expensive copper IC.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #423
Yambor44

Recipes 

Also, I have not used a clearing agent with the BM. I will use some Irish Moss as well this weekend if I don't forget.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #424
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Also, I have not used a clearing agent with the BM. I will use some Irish Moss as well this weekend if I don't forget.
I'm guessing that will be a big help and I'm also thinking your chillers will be a factor. My beer got much clearer when I got my large copper immersion chiller vs my smaller one that took forever to get things down to pitching temps. I also noticed better hop flavor as well - have you had any issues with late hop additions not giving the results you've seen pre-Braumeister?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #425
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
I'm guessing that will be a big help and I'm also thinking your chillers will be a factor. My beer got much clearer when I got my large copper immersion chiller vs my smaller one that took forever to get things down to pitching temps. I also noticed better hop flavor as well - have you had any issues with late hop additions not giving the results you've seen pre-Braumeister?
I can't really say. Just now into my 2nd keg of the first beer I brewed on it. It's 2 months old as of June 17th and it was a lot clearer right out of the gate than the first (younger) 5 gallon keg. By the time that first keg kicked, it was pretty clear.

My goal with my pipeline is to get everything to at least 90 days old before it hits the tap. That seems to be the magic number for the perfectly aged beer for my tastes. Some folks go from grain to glass in 2-4 weeks. I find the beer is waaay to green at that point for my tastes.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #426
makomachine
Recipes 

Completely agree on the pipeline comment. My best beers are 90 days in the keg cold conditioned. Unfortunately, they rarely make it that long! I'm hoping with the Braumeister I'll have more brewing sessions to allow for some pipeline myself. Up until now, my brew sessions have been few and far between given time constraints.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #427
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello Makomachine, I have the 20L BM and chose it because even though my old system could handle 10 gal batches easily I always just brew 5 gal batches. The benefit I see with the 50L is if you did 5 gal batches with the small malt pipe you would probably have a better boil due to the higher wattage of the 50L, but someone like Yambor44 could answer that better that me. I use super irish moss and use my large copper immersion cooler to chill with. My wort cools in 5 to 15 minutes depending on time of the year ground water temp) I've found. I too am having a haze issue, it's almost more like a cloudiness. I'm not sure if it's too much protein or tannins getting into the wort due to a rather mild boil. My current batches are 2 or more months old and are still rather cloudy, but do taste good. I plan to take samples at every stage on my next brew to see where the wort begins to cloud. Otherwise I completely enjoy brewing with this equipment.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #428
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfk2 View Post
Hello Makomachine, I have the 20L BM and chose it because even though my old system could handle 10 gal batches easily I always just brew 5 gal batches. The benefit I see with the 50L is if you did 5 gal batches with the small malt pipe you would probably have a better boil due to the higher wattage of the 50L, but someone like Yambor44 could answer that better that me. I use super irish moss and use my large copper immersion cooler to chill with. My wort cools in 5 to 15 minutes depending on time of the year ground water temp) I've found. I too am having a haze issue, it's almost more like a cloudiness. I'm not sure if it's too much protein or tannins getting into the wort due to a rather mild boil. My current batches are 2 or more months old and are still rather cloudy, but do taste good. I plan to take samples at every stage on my next brew to see where the wort begins to cloud. Otherwise I completely enjoy brewing with this equipment.
Sounds like you are covering all the bases and can't see why the Braumeister process would cause haze/cloudiness on it's own. My early brewing days on the stovetop resulted in some cloudiness that I always attributed to extract in general - makes me wonder if it was boil temp given the low boil temps as well. A bit discouraging that it seems to be a problem that many are seeing however. I'm still considering pulling the trigger on the 20L today though- cloudiness alone isn't something that would keep me from buying the unit necessarily.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #429
makomachine
Recipes 

hfk2 / Chris - Are you using the optional insulating jacket? Just wondering if the addition of that is helping with the 20L boil temp.

Also, what type of mash schedule are you running (protein rest / sach rest / sparge / etc)?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #430
Yambor44

Recipes 

As hfk2 mentioned you do get a better rolling boil with the smaller malt pipe in the 50 L unit.

Quick Reply