Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #391
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm hoping it is just a bad part and not worn as I have only used it 4 times now. To the untrained eye (mine) all the insides look nice and clean and new (not worn).

It started as an intermittent noise on the first brew session (I think I mentioned it in one of the videos) and yesterday it was pretty bad and constant. Either way, I will be getting a new pump. I just hope I pick the "right" one to replace when the new one arrives!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #392
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Yambor44, My pump runs while the temperature is ramping up to boil temperature. When it is reachrd and the boil countdown begins the pump shuts off. I get a similar sound but not nearly as loud every time the pump rests, then turns back on. I know it is from air cavitating in the pump. It didn't do it at all the first two brews, but now does it every time the pump comes back on. I find I have to pause the system and when it starts up again the sound is gone. Do you get that sound when first starting out when the controller cycles the pump on and off to purge the air out of it?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #393
Yambor44

Recipes 

I know the sound you speak of and this isn't the same. I can actually hear it make both sounds at the same time. I hear the purging sound the pump makes plus this sound which is constant now as you can hear on the video.

Ralf from Speidel sent me the following email after hearing from Thorsten:

Dear Rob,

Thorsten Stein has informed me that you have problems with your pumps.

I’m sure that it is the impeller inside.

I will send you two new impellers.

Please tell me to which address we should send it.

I don’t think that you will have the possibility to visit the homebrew conference in San Diego.

I’m sorry for the troubles.

Thanks

Ralf

I really appreciate their efforts in the area of service after the sale.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #394
hfk2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You might want to remove the pump and run it without the impeller and housing just to make sure it isn't a pump bearing or bent shaft.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #395
Drachental_Des
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

These pumps don't have bearings or shafts, they use a magnetic induction system to drive the impeller which is the only moving part.

If the central "spike" on which the impeller spins is even fractionally out of true you will hear the impeller striking the casing wall.

What you can do is to remove the pump body from the BM and run it with the impeller in place. You should see it spinning fast and true.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #396
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefeater View Post
Haven't heard that noise. Doesn't sound right so I'd pull it to see if something was trapped in it.

I don't think the pump is supposed to run during the boil.

Yesterday was the first try with the new stainless screens. They worked great. Sank right to the bottom and stayed there without letting through any grains.
Are these new screens standard equipment or aftermarket? I was never able to pull them up on that Norwegian website.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #397
clasley
Recipes 

My 20l unit was delivered three weeks ago with the stainless screens. I've brewed three times now and they work great. Just kegged the first batch should have a tasting in a week or so.

On the motors - mine does the same thing intermittently. I wonder if our 60Hz power is playing into any of this. I would assume since the motors are designed for 50Hz that they're running faster at 60Hz?

-Chris

Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #398
wreals
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like MoreBeer is dealer for the Braumeister now.

Now they have the 20 and 50 liter models in addition to the 200L which they been carrying.

http://morebeer.com/search/104230/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Braumeister_Electric_All-Grain_Brewing_Systems

Also, if you're attending the NHC, they are raffling a 20l Braumeister.

- Bill Reals
www.reals.net

Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #399
Yambor44

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreals View Post
Looks like MoreBeer is dealer for the Braumeister now.

Now they have the 20 and 50 liter models in addition to the 200L which they been carrying.

http://morebeer.com/search/104230/beerwinecoffee/coffeewinebeer/Braumeister_Electric_All-Grain_Brewing_Systems

Also, if you're attending the NHC, they are raffling a 20l Braumeister.
Yeah, I got like 4 emails today with links to that.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #400
gustavf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarzisi View Post
@wreals As I understand from one of the Norwegian forums, one method to overcome the inherent capacity limits of the braumeister is to mash twice. The first mash uses half the grain bill and proceeds as normal. After the first mash is complete, remove the malt pipe and empty the spent grain, refill the malt pipe with the remainder of your grain add some top off water and mash in the wort already produced. Finally you can increase the efficiency with a sparge if needed. (Remember I'm getting these directions off of a translated Norwegian site, I have not tried this method myself, YMMV.)
You have probably read my posts at bryggeri.net.

It is certainly possible to mash several times. I mashed and sparged as normal on the Braumeister, then moved the malt tube to a fermentation bucket and continued the sparging. After sparging, you have enough wort in the Braumeister to do another mash and I heated the wort from the fermentation bucket and used as sparge water.

If doing this, be careful not to get any grains in the wort, as this is likely get stuck in the pump. Clean the malt pipe after each mash, remove any visible grain from the wort and try to find a way to flush the pump between each mash. If the pump stops working while you have the Braumeister full og 1.080 wort and the malt pipe inserted, things are getting messy quiet quickly. (Yes, I have tried.)

I am very happy with my Braumeister, but it is not a very good system for brewing the really big beers. Adding some malt extract to ramp up the OG a bit works fine, and for the occasional barley wine or imperial stout a double or trippel mash is possible. If you normally stay below 1.065, or somewhat higher for the 50 liter version, I can fully recommend this system.

Quick Reply