*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #31
Inodoro_Pereyra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hmmm...looks like my comments created some discomfort...

First, if I have offended anybody, my apologies. That wasn't my intention.

Multipletazas: it was never my intention to push you into making a decision, one way or another. As I said before, you're the one who has to be happy with your system. If you like the braumeister, by all means, go for it. I was just stating my opinion.

Also, consider that my beer brewing experience, as of today, is exactly "0". Not only I have never brewed a single beer batch, but I actually don't even drink beer.

However, I have a lot of experience designing and building machines.

My comment above was in response to the comment I quoted. I believe the brutus is more flexible than the braumeister. I also KNOW you can build a brutus at a fraction of the cost.

Let me give you an example.

I'm now in the process of designing a system, for me to hopefully build in the near future. A very important (and expensive) part of that system, at least for me, is gonna be the brew kettle, which I plan to build out of 1/8" thick copper plate. Looking it up online (never the cheapest choice when it comes to metals), a 36"x48" sheet of 1/8" thick copper is $660, give or take a few bucks. That sheet will be enough for a 7 gallon kettle, with a cone bottom and lid.
Add to that a couple of kegs, plumbing, heating elements, etc, and I'm looking at about $1200-1400 for the whole rig. And that because I want a kettle that most will probably qualify as an unnecessary luxury item. I could easily make the rig with 3 kegs (that I can find used for about $50 each), and the whole system would be way less than a grand.
I could even build the kettle out of thinner copper sheet (#16, or even #18 would be more than enough for a 7 gallon kettle), and still keep it under a grand. And, with that, I'd be able to boil a full 5 gallon batch, instead of having to do a partial boil. Not saying it's better than a partial boil, or even that I'd do it, but if I wanted to, I could.

Now, about my "material handler" comment.
If that comment sounded in any way derogatory, again, that wasn't my intention at all. I used to be a material handler at a factory. A material handler is the person who feeds the "recipe" (the materials) to a machine, so it can do its job. He does have control over the recipe (even if he doesn't formulate it), but not over the process. That's why I made that comment.
It's true that micro brewery systems (and some systems here) are fully automated, yet their operator is called a "master brewer" instead of a "material handler". But, in those systems, usually the master brewer has complete control over the whole process, which he can fully customize to his needs. I haven't really looked that deeply into the braumeister's features, but I don't think it gives the user that kind of control.

So, those are the reasons I said what I said. Again, I apologize if anyone felt offended by any of my comments, but, right or not, that's my opinion of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #32
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inodoro_Pereyra View Post

Multipletazas: it was never my intention to push you into making a decision, one way or another. As I said before, you're the one who has to be happy with your system. If you like the braumeister, by all means, go for it. I was just stating my opinion.

Also, consider that my beer brewing experience, as of today, is exactly "0". Not only I have never brewed a single beer batch, but I actually don't even drink beer.

My comment above was in response to the comment I quoted. I believe the brutus is more flexible than the braumeister. I also KNOW you can build a brutus at a fraction of the cost.

I'm now in the process of designing a system, for me to hopefully build in the near future. A very important (and expensive) part of that system, at least for me, is gonna be the brew kettle, which I plan to build out of 1/8" thick copper plate. Looking it up online (never the cheapest choice when it comes to metals), a 36"x48" sheet of 1/8" thick copper is $660, give or take a few bucks. That sheet will be enough for a 7 gallon kettle, with a cone bottom and lid.
Add to that a couple of kegs, plumbing, heating elements, etc, and I'm looking at about $1200-1400 for the whole rig. And that because I want a kettle that most will probably qualify as an unnecessary luxury item. I could easily make the rig with 3 kegs (that I can find used for about $50 each), and the whole system would be way less than a grand.
I could even build the kettle out of thinner copper sheet (#16, or even #18 would be more than enough for a 7 gallon kettle), and still keep it under a grand. And, with that, I'd be able to boil a full 5 gallon batch, instead of having to do a partial boil. Not saying it's better than a partial boil, or even that I'd do it, but if I wanted to, I could.

If that comment sounded in any way derogatory, again, that wasn't my intention at all. I used to be a material handler at a factory. A material handler is the person who feeds the "recipe" (the materials) to a machine, so it can do its job. He does have control over the recipe (even if he doesn't formulate it), but not over the process. That's why I made that comment.
It's true that micro brewery systems (and some systems here) are fully automated, yet their operator is called a "master brewer" instead of a "material handler". But, in those systems, usually the master brewer has complete control over the whole process, which he can fully customize to his needs. I haven't really looked that deeply into the braumeister's features, but I don't think it gives the user that kind of control.

So, those are the reasons I said what I said. Again, I apologize if anyone felt offended by any of my comments, but, right or not, that's my opinion of it.
Sounds good man i take no offense what so ever. You know how to work copper? thats pretty cool. I didnt want to spend the 300 dollars they were asking for the cool copper lid for the braumaister so im going to take a shot at making it my self. im not sure how to make that but ill figure it out. if you have any pointers let me know as i could use them .

Old 03-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

Just a question if you dont bree or even drink beer why would you make a system like that? do you sell them?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #34
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipletazas View Post
Sounds good man i take no offense what so ever. You know how to work copper? thats pretty cool. I didnt want to spend the 300 dollars they were asking for the cool copper lid for the braumaister so im going to take a shot at making it my self. im not sure how to make that but ill figure it out. if you have any pointers let me know as i could use them .
Thank you. English is not my native language, and, despite my best efforts, I'm still painfully limited at it, so I'm permanently worried that my words may be misinterpreted. Last thing I want is to create bad blood. I come here to learn, and to eventually give a hand, if I can.
Copper is by far he easiest metal to work with. All you need is a few hammers, some wood to make a form onto which to mold your piece, and a good arm. Anyways, for what I see, you live not so far away from me, so, if you decide to go for it, shoot me a PM, and I'll help you.

Quote:
Just a question if you dont bree or even drink beer why would you make a system like that? do you sell them?
I never said I don't brew... I said I haven't brewed BEER yet.
Right now, I've been unemployed for almost 1 1/2 year, fixing computers from home to survive, so the prospect of buying grain and the other stuff to make beer is definitely out of the question. So I've been brewing very small batches (less than 2 liters each) of "something", using chick peas as the grain, and baker's yeast. That way I can learn the process, without wrecking my very flimsy economy at the time. I have even "malted" a couple batches of grain, so, right now, I have 3 batches (1 bottle conditioning, and 2 in the fermentors for the last 3 weeks) waiting to be tasted, and an infected batch, that I tasted and dumped down the drain (it was beyond horrible) yesterday.
Meanwhile, the reason why I don't like beer is because "beer" ( as I "knew" it up to a short time ago) is bitter, and I have a really sweet tooth. But lately I've been reading everything I could get my hands on about beer styles, and I think I found a style I might like (hefeweizen) to a point that I may want to brew it regularly, especially with added fruit (I'm thinking about a mango hefeweizen in the (hopefully) near future...).

And, who knows? Maybe I could sell it in the future, if people are interested...

Old 03-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. English is not my native language, and, despite my best efforts, I'm still painfully limited at it, so I'm permanently worried that my words may be misinterpreted. Last thing I want is to create bad blood. I come here to learn, and to eventually give a hand, if I can.
Copper is by far he easiest metal to work with. All you need is a few hammers, some wood to make a form onto which to mold your piece, and a good arm. Anyways, for what I see, you live not so far away from me, so, if you decide to go for it, shoot me a PM, and I'll help you.

I never said I don't brew... I said I haven't brewed BEER yet.
Right now, I've been unemployed for almost 1 1/2 year, fixing computers from home to survive, so the prospect of buying grain and the other stuff to make beer is definitely out of the question. So I've been brewing very small batches (less than 2 liters each) of "something", using chick peas as the grain, and baker's yeast. That way I can learn the process, without wrecking my very flimsy economy at the time. I have even "malted" a couple batches of grain, so, right now, I have 3 batches (1 bottle conditioning, and 2 in the fermentors for the last 3 weeks) waiting to be tasted, and an infected batch, that I tasted and dumped down the drain (it was beyond horrible) yesterday.
Meanwhile, the reason why I don't like beer is because "beer" ( as I "knew" it up to a short time ago) is bitter, and I have a really sweet tooth. But lately I've been reading everything I could get my hands on about beer styles, and I think I found a style I might like (hefeweizen) to a point that I may want to brew it regularly, especially with added fruit (I'm thinking about a mango hefeweizen in the (hopefully) near future...).

And, who knows? Maybe I could sell it in the future, if people are interested...
You should try Hoegaarden. i love this beer in the summer. Hefeweizen is one of my favorite styles. I tried a beer called purple haze the other day which is infused with rasberry and it was pretty good if you like the fruit infused beers.

sounds cool. about the copper work. maybe ill just pay you for the hood build, drop off the copper and you call me when its done.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Quote:
You should try Hoegaarden. i love this beer in the summer. Hefeweizen is one of my favorite styles. I tried a beer called purple haze the other day which is infused with rasberry and it was pretty good if you like the fruit infused beers.

sounds cool. about the copper work. maybe ill just pay you for the hood build, drop off the copper and you call me when its done.
Hoegaarden... For what I just read, that's witbier, right? Is all witbier sweet, like hefeweizen? I will definitely try it in the future, thanks for the tip.

Not a problem. Whenever you're ready, PM me, and we'll take it from there. Just be aware that I don't have the equipment to braze it yet, so the hood will have to be one solid piece.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #37
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well from what i understand the braumeister should be on its way any day now. communication with thorsten has been good he responds to my emails quickly.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #38
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just got my 5 gallon system.. its big! looks great I will post more pics when its up and running. thanks! Thorsten your the man!

img-20110325-00151.jpg  

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #39
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice! What place in FL did you buy that from? 2hr north of you means around 45min south of me here Just curious

As far as Speidel goes; they are an extremly well organized and good company. They have made brewery and winery equipment long before many of us even know how beer was in spelled.

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #40
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

morebeer4u.com

the guys name is thorsten.

he is in cape coral.. i think you can go see it in person at his location but he has no stock available. anything you buy he will have to order from speidel and it ships direct to you.

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Quick Reply