Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #2191
BierFest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only real problem i have had with my braumeister is what many others have had - the hop leaves block the outlet valve when pouring to my fermenter. However overall its not a problem that makes me regret buying the braumeister.

I have been looking at many ways to resolve this and was going to get an Stainless hop spider type container with a hole in the center to sit down through the center rod. This would resolve this problem but also would probably result in a faster clean up time too.

However I have just spotted that Speidel appear to have a small filter now available for this problem. The only thing is that I cant figure out where/how you fit it to the braumeister - http://speidels-braumeister.de/shop/...ess/Hopfensieb

Does anybody else have one? Or perhaps it is just a container for the hops? Unfortunately the website has no further information on this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #2192
flemming
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It looks like it just slips over the top lip of the Braumeister and the screen simply covers the outlet port. This isn't something you put the hops into, but rather a really coarse filter to keep them from entering the spigot.

Robert

Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #2193
ShakaZuluXI
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well...after reading this entire thread through twice, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 20L Braumeister from Thorsten at MoreBeer4U in Florida. The 4-6 week wait now starts. Have an electrician coming this week to install the 220v outlet for me in the garage. I'm also hoping to go down to Key West for a "brew camp" that Thorsten is going to set up for me in January. Sounds like he helped a guy open a microbrewery in Key West using the industrial sized Braumeister units...so I hope I can make that trip work....that would be really cool to see. If I do go, I'll be sure to report back here and provide any photos I take.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #2194
Sprouthog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I also got a 20l two weeks ago and brewed my 1st batch last week. Loved the ease of use and clean up. One kettle no pumps no tubing. As far as the poor boil, not at sea level. Boil over at 99. I know to keep my eye on it now when it gets near the boil. No pump issues with a course grind at .45. 78% efficiency was good for first time. Think I can increase that with some tweaking but I hit my OG. Used pellet hops, whirlpool, chiller and a double screen strainer on the out flow. Wort at 67 and going through strainer aerated it to perfection.

Thanks everyone who posted and helped me throughout the process.

Primary:
Secondary:
On Gas:
On Tap: IPA, Czech Pils, Guinness Clone, Bohemian Pils, Oktoberfest, Schwarzbier.
Bottled: American Lager, Bohemian Lager, Aplwein, Cranberry Weizen, American Wheat Ale

On Deck:

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #2195
beefeater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, this tread has become long!!

Haven't brewed in a while, but today I'm starting my catching up with a two-brew day.
Just finished cooling the first one, an APA and as soon as it is in the bucket I'll rinse out the Braumeister quickly and start heating water for the second brew, a hopilicious IIPA

Since my Braumeister brewdays are so laid back I've been browsing the web a lot today, catching up on brewing stuff. I came over this video on Youtube. It's probably been posted before but this tread is too long to read through now.

Anyway I really liked it so it can't hurt to repost it

Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #2196
brautim
Recipes 

Default Question for 50L BM owners.

Does anyone know when mashing, if the BM uses 1 or both heating elements?

I'm asking this because when using the 20L malt pipe and the [spiedel] recommended 23 litres of water for the mash, when the mash starts and the pumps begin the level of water outside the mash pipe drops just below the top element of the outer heater. I added another 4 litres so that the elements were covered just in case, but I'm now wondering if only the inner element is activated by design.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #2197
OooGeeMac
Recipes 

Sorry if this has been asked recently...I am interested in the Braumeister 200L. Does anyone know of any brewpub/ nanobrewery in the United States using one?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #2198
Sprouthog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by OooGeeMac View Post
Sorry if this has been asked recently...I am interested in the Braumeister 200L. Does anyone know of any brewpub/ nanobrewery in the United States using one?
Post 2193.

Contact Thorsten at MoreBeer4U, he is the Speidel US rep. If anyone knows he will.

Primary:
Secondary:
On Gas:
On Tap: IPA, Czech Pils, Guinness Clone, Bohemian Pils, Oktoberfest, Schwarzbier.
Bottled: American Lager, Bohemian Lager, Aplwein, Cranberry Weizen, American Wheat Ale

On Deck:

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #2199
rkovatch
Recipes 

I have the 50l and have made a few of the mods suggested on this thread. I purchased some silicon tubing to seal the top filter on the malt pipe, but the wall of the tubing is too big.

1) I tried to fit it in cold. Does the malt pipe need to heat up and expand before it will fit?

2) Does anyone have a link or specific example of what they used? I ordered the high temp tubing from Northern Brewer, which seems too big.

Thanks in advance for your help. This thread has been a great resource.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #2200
rkovatch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brautim
Does anyone know when mashing, if the BM uses 1 or both heating elements? I'm asking this because when using the 20L malt pipe and the [spiedel] recommended 23 litres of water for the mash, when the mash starts and the pumps begin the level of water outside the mash pipe drops just below the top element of the outer heater. I added another 4 litres so that the elements were covered just in case, but I'm now wondering if only the inner element is activated by design.
That is a good question. It would make sense that only the inner coils are being used, but I am not sure. Once a boil is needed then all coils are on deck. I would be interested to know. Have you found the answer yet by chance?

Quick Reply