Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #2131
maducey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Pretty sure they sell a smaller grain pipe for brewing smaller batches with the 50l.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #2132
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Since we're in the topic how do you brew smaller batches on the bigger systems? I'm going to need to do this soon because my recipes grain bill's are too big for the smaller systems.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #2133
tequilatom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You can also modify the 50l malt pipe as I did to brew smaller high gravity batches.
look up what Batfink did in an earlier post (#1631 pg 164). I have brewed 6 gallon double IPA's using his modification, and can plug the holes with stainless bolts if i ever want to brew a larger batch. I used a Greenlee 1/2" hole punch to pop the holes in the tube. For a 16lb grain bill, I had to use 9 gallons of water, lost 2.5 gallons to absorption and boiloff, and 1/2 gallon to trub. Not sure how this will work with lower gravity beers, might want to get the smaller malt tube if you're going to brew those.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #2134
jdebonth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the reply's, I pulled the trigger on a 50L and picked it up yesterday from Brouwland here in Belgium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilatom View Post
You can also modify the 50l malt pipe as I did to brew smaller high gravity batches.
look up what Batfink did in an earlier post (#1631 pg 164). I have brewed 6 gallon double IPA's using his modification, and can plug the holes with stainless bolts if i ever want to brew a larger batch. I used a Greenlee 1/2" hole punch to pop the holes in the tube. For a 16lb grain bill, I had to use 9 gallons of water, lost 2.5 gallons to absorption and boiloff, and 1/2 gallon to trub. Not sure how this will work with lower gravity beers, might want to get the smaller malt tube if you're going to brew those.
Very interesting, I was thinking about this myself, didn't get far enough into this thread to see that it had been done. Great to be able to read up and see how people actually executed this and what results were obtained.

If one does a careful and clean job with the hole drilling and covering up with bolts/rubber o-rings I'm sure the 50L malt pipe can be setup to basically do anything you want it to; high gravity 5L/10L/15L batches etc.

I purchased the small malt pipe but may consider returning this if customising the 50L malt pipe is fairly straightforward. Will look to see how people have done it in the thread.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #2135
rbdanley
Recipes 

Default Temperature probe strangeness

I had a strange event occur during brewing the other day with the Braumeister. During the mash, single infusion at 67C, the BM went into a pump rest at about 50 minutes in. When the pump break was over, the temperature showed 69 degrees, then rapidly increased to 102 degrees, shutting off the pump and heater. Measuring the mash, the temperature was actually 67 degrees.

I was unable to get the mash to finish, so I drained the malt pipe. I completely reprogrammed the BM, setting all mash phases to zero minutes. The BM went to the boiling part of the program, showed the correct temperatures, and finished the boil without incident.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What could cause this behavior? Bad temp probe? Computer glitch? Bad connection?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #2136
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdanley View Post
I had a strange event occur during brewing the other day with the Braumeister. During the mash, single infusion at 67C, the BM went into a pump rest at about 50 minutes in. When the pump break was over, the temperature showed 69 degrees, then rapidly increased to 102 degrees, shutting off the pump and heater. Measuring the mash, the temperature was actually 67 degrees.

I was unable to get the mash to finish, so I drained the malt pipe. I completely reprogrammed the BM, setting all mash phases to zero minutes. The BM went to the boiling part of the program, showed the correct temperatures, and finished the boil without incident.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What could cause this behavior? Bad temp probe? Computer glitch? Bad connection?

Any help would be appreciated.
i would email speidel straight away. their customer service is very good.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #2137
rbdanley
Recipes 

Default Temperature probe problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i would email speidel straight away. their customer service is very good.
Thanks for the advice.

I reproduced the problem using a test run with water. The BM showed 94 degrees when the water was actually at 53 degrees.

I contacted Morebeer.com and they are having Speidel send me a new temperature probe. I'll also contact Speidel directly to see what they think.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #2138
jdebonth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Grain crush fineness

Is anyone having trouble with the flow rate through the malt pipe? I have now done two batches and in both cases have had issues with the flow rate up through the crushed grains. The seal underneath the grain pipe is broken and I can see water escaping/rushing out underneath.

The last brew I ensured a very course crush on the grains (barely crushed open) however the water was still escaping underneath the seal due to low flow rate, particularly at the start of the mashing.

There is no issue with the sealing surface as the empty drain grain pipe sits very flush on the inner surface of the braumeister.

I am using a corona grain mill which I believe might not be giving me the most consistent crush (seems like i am getting some barely crushed grains among some that are almost pulverized). Are people having this issue with the corona mill?

Also, I am using the 20L grain pipe on the 50L model, could this be part of the problem, I assuming this has a higher flow rate than the single pump in a 20L and also dual pumps but with a 50L pipe (which needs to pump up through a longer vertical distance, presumably slowing down the flow rate).

Are you guys generally finding the crush fineness to be finicky with this unit?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #2139
pjk49202

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Used my 20l tube for the first thus past Friday. I did not notice anything wrong/weird with the flow rate. Fwiw, I use my own mill at a factory setting of .4.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #2140
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've noticed that the thread gets very quiet when pjk49202 posts something - I'd look into that disturbing avatar...

Quick Reply