Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #2121
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeddiman View Post
Does anybody know what the size and pitch of the center rod is on the 20L.
does pitch refer to thread? by size do you mean length? happy to help but a bit lost

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #2122
yeddiman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

dinnerstick, you are correct,

the thread pitch and the diameter of the rod, what size nut fits the threads on the rod

Length of the rod would help also.

all for the 20l

Appreciate it

Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #2123
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i don't have a thread gauge (nor calipers) so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in on the thread, but the rod is 41 cm from the bottom of the kettle to the top of the threads. the bottom 1cm or so sits in a base, so only 40cm are proud. the diameter is 1cm, by measuring with a ruler, not calipers. i bet if you ask speidel directly via their website you will get the specs, they are pretty helpful, but i would hope someone on here will reply

Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #2124
tequilatom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Getting some experience

OK, thought I'd get a couple of brews under my belt before I posted again. (That and recovered from another neck surgery! )
The first brew was almost an epic disaster, trying to get use to new equipment, and new to all grain brewing, but the machine itself performed as expected. My efficiency was way off, in part due to too fine a crush mucking up the flow, and too short a mash (60 min for a dipa). I brewed the same recipe again, loosened up the mill to 1.2mm, and increased the mash to 90 minutes, and it made a big difference. Came real close to the target gravity, and finished with a much better end result. The recipe was based on Kiwi Crossing IPA from Midwest, I increased the malt bill and the hops, turned out to be one of my best brews so far!
I will be brewing Biermuncher's Tits Up IIPA in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to that!!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #2125
mellowmonk
Recipes 

Has anyone made an extension cord for their Braumeister that connects to a standard US dryer outlet (220 i think?). Most of the posts I have seen people are installing new receptacles or have modified the standard Braumeister cord. I have modified my Braumeister cord but it is short.

Could I buy this cord and rewire it with a dryer plug?

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=8951

Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #2126
sebring96hbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowmonk View Post
Has anyone made an extension cord for their Braumeister that connects to a standard US dryer outlet (220 i think?). Most of the posts I have seen people are installing new receptacles or have modified the standard Braumeister cord. I have modified my Braumeister cord but it is short.

Could I buy this cord and rewire it with a dryer plug?

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=8951

I bought this one....

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=11236

The male end matches up with my receptacle and the C13 end matches up with the 20L power port without any further mods. Without seeing a pic of your dryer outlet, it is difficult to provide an answer.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #2127
maducey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have the 50L model and I'm turning it on this Saturday. So what I've learned so far. Nobody fully understands power. Saturday, I will! Your dryer/stove runs on 240v but your house doesn't have 240v like in europe. We don't have 240v on one leg and a neutral, we throw 120v down each leg delivering 220v. Check it out, stick a multimeter into your outlet, you'll find 240 across your two leads and 120 between each lead and the ground.

So I'm under the impression that this has not been a problem for anyone.

Md

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2128
tequilatom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Idea to hold stainless mesh to malt pipe plates

just thought I'd post my idea on how to hold the mesh to the plates on the BM. I originally used High Temp neodymium magnets (good to 300 F) , but the nickel plating corroded rather quickly and they weren't available with an epoxy coating like the ones I am going to try out. They are good to 176F or 80C, which should hold up. Available from K&J Magnetics #D82E. I will post whether they worked or not after my next brew. Hopefully this might help someone else out.

bmscreen-1.jpg   bmscreen-2.jpg  

Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #2129
jdebonth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi all, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a BM, but I can't decide between the 20L and 50L. I am looking for a top of the line solution for recipe development. In the short term i will brew probably only 20L batches as I refine recipes, but in the future there may be situations where i want to brew double batches, and thus this flexibility would be great to have. The cost difference fortunately is not really a factor as I consider this to be a life long purchase.

So I would like to understand the cons of using the 20L malt pipe in the 50L unit as opposed to brewing 20L in a 20L BM. I know some posters have been brewing mainly 20L batches in the 50L systems, and some have mentioned wanting to switch to the 20L. What are the reasons for this?

What I can think of:

- 50L has larger footprint and hence more difficult to handle
- 50L more difficult to clean
- 50L with 20L malt pipe might make dumping grains into the mast ton more difficult as you need to drop scoop lower into the unit?
- more awkward to pull mash ton out after mashing?
- 50L needs 15amp plugs, fortunately my apartment is fitted with these so not an issue
- would need a larger conical fermenter (to be prepared for future 50L batches) and use this mainly with 20L batches, but i think this is a non-issue as I understand it is fine to ferment 20L in say a 55L fermenter.

Anything I missed?

On the plus (doing 20L in 50L BM) I think I get a more vigorous boil, better circulation due to dual pumps meaning I can really push the max gravity limits of the system.

The other option would be to buy a 20L and when double batches are required to do 2 consecutive brews (although) this is a bit more work, specially if double batches are needed more often down the road.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #2130
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Since you are looking long term on this and money isn't an object then I would go with the 50.

It will give you a better boil and more options for the long haul.

Quick Reply