Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #2091
DeGarre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Some people like to squeeze out those extra couple of gravity points by sparging in the Braumeister, but there's really no need for it.
My first 2 brews I did not sparge. I did hit the OG and got a lot less than 20 litres of beer. Now I sparge, hit the OG, and get 23-24 litres of beer.

You do the math

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #2092
hunmojo
Recipes 

Hey guys first of all I just want to say that this is an awesome thread and LONG at that. I got to page 89 before i started skipping around....but I will head back when i have time.

I am here in Europe helping my friend invest in a small brew pub. What we have imagined is a small brewery attached to it, well it would be like a small show room (that we use to supply the few taps of beer we would have.
What sparked our interest was the possibility of having 3-4 50L systems because of space savings. it would certanly meet our needs for beer, since its a small pub. Running 4 different batches we would be able to do very nice designer beers, and seasonal offerings monthly if we wanted. (while supplies last..lol). My question is as overall impression from everyone. Is a setup like i just described do these systems offer enough versatility for us to be able to crank out any style of beer, and experiment.

We would also like to keep is small because we figured we would offer people a chance to brew themselves as workshops..

thanks for the info really looking for your help, especially people, who are brewing frequently on a bigger scale with these systems..

Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #2093
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

hi where are you hunmojo? i think that a new small brewery in the netherlands called oersoep started out on a couple of 50L speidels but i'm not sure. might be worth contacting them for advice. met the guys once and they are friendly!

on an unrelated note, when does a thread reach 'sticky' status? we're almost 2100 posts in

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #2094
hunmojo
Recipes 

haha yea I agree its long past sticky....

Im in Hungary. right now. But originally from Seattle. i work in a bar with a tittle of "creative manager" whatever that means... Im prety much in charge of food stuff experimentation,, anything alcohol related, working with brew pubs and other bars..
Thanks for the insight... I will contact them right away..

I also emailed speidel about their 200l system. but the reply I got back from them made it seem that the 200L system is even more "limited" than the smaller ones. Reading this forum I was excited to hear people crank out pretty much anything that they would like to make. Where as I got a reply that the 200L can only handle 1.050 Gravity....ouch...now thats not a good system for a brew pub...as far as versatility..

Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #2095
sj_engr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Brewing the second 20G batch on the 50L Braumeister. Tried to max out the malt pipe with 30lb of grain. The pumps did push through with no spouts but I found that draining the malt pipe was super, super slow. Previous had no issues with 25 lbs. Perhaps try 28lbs next or some rice hulls. 30 lbs of grain and 6 lbs of DME for a ~82L of 1.05 boiling away.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #2096
miwibeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_engr
Brewing the second 20G batch on the 50L Braumeister. Tried to max out the malt pipe with 30lb of grain. The pumps did push through with no spouts but I found that draining the malt pipe was super, super slow. Previous had no issues with 25 lbs. Perhaps try 28lbs next or some rice hulls. 30 lbs of grain and 6 lbs of DME for a ~82L of 1.05 boiling away.
In my experience 13kg is close to the maximum load of the 50L malt pibe, but I think one should be carefull not to go to the absolute limit. I have measured the flow during my mashings, and filling the pibe too much reduces the flow considerably, although the pumps are able to push through. I think it's adviceable not to go above 12.5kg (27.5lbs).
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #2097
hunmojo
Recipes 

ok i have gotten through to page 130 roughly... and iv decided to get an BM. now the question is 20 or 50L.,.... ????
im happy to say that money is not an issue for once in my life. when deciding which system to get. so on to the other pros and cons.....

1. I am planing on using this system for a pilot setup to test batches for up cumming brews.
2. all my beers usually fall between 5-6% , but i do like to experiment. and if im spending this kind of cash i dont want to be held back.
3. i am brewing in doors, and with my current cooling fridges set up i can only accommodate 20L-30l batches for fermentation.

the only reason I am considering the 50L with the 20l malt pipe is because it seems to be better equipped with the pumps and heating element. wich would allow me to better stuff the pipe with malt.

another thing im worried about is the lack of rice hulls available here in hungary....it does not exist......will this pose a problem with channeling. or am i thinking correctly assuming that the 50l w 20l malt will solve this problem for me.

i also dont mind buying the hood if it helps, but i didnt really get a good idea weather its helpfull or not, people either say without it boil is lacking with it its splashing all over...9at least when it comes to the 20L)

please honest answers are appreciated regardless of which size yOU use (try not to be biased towards your system) will really help me out. Im ready to push the buy button, i just need to figure out if the 50/20 setup is better than the regular 20, if we are not looking at money here..... thanks guys...

Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #2098
sebring96hbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I received my 20L today directly from Speidel through HomeBrewWest. It looks great. Communication and customer service by Brian at HBW have been great. The weekend can't come soon enough to run it!

Reason: grammar

Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #2099
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wonder how many units Speidel has sold because of this thread alone?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #2100
hunmojo
Recipes 

Any input guys on mechanics. Differences ...

Quick Reply