New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
FiveKaiBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
When you analyze the device you start to see that it is a hot water or coffee urn modified with a fairly simple digital controller. They are asking a lot for it, which if you don't mind spending is a pretty cool looking unit. You can build one for a lot less $$$.

Dude show me the plans for building something like this. from what i see this thing has pumps a computer albeit simple that dose rests and different temps etc. boils...

money is not really a issue, but if i have to build one and have to add materials plus man hours(time is money) and it comes out to about the same price, damn id rather buy a professionally built unit that has warranty. i have 4 kids a dog a company to run and,,,other stuff. i just want to open a box pour in some grain and brew.

but i do want to see what others have built that is similar to this machine.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipletazas View Post
Dude show me the plans for building something like this. from what i see this thing has pumps a computer albeit simple that dose rests and different temps etc. boils...

money is not really a issue, but if i have to build one and have to add materials plus man hours(time is money) and it comes out to about the same price, damn id rather buy a professionally built unit that has warranty. i have 4 kids a dog a company to run and,,,other stuff. i just want to open a box pour in some grain and brew.

funny how i forgot to mention Wife in my list of things that take away from "ME" time...lmao i guess she makes up for the time she takes away with "time"she gives me lmao

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipletazas View Post
i just want to open a box pour in some grain and brew.

Well, if you like it, and are ok with the price, go for it! At the end of the day, you're the one that's gonna use it...

Personally though, if you just want to enjoy your brew without any major complications, I'd go for a brew kit. You just literally have to mix it with water, pitch the yeast, slap on the airlock, and wait.

And with all the money you save, you can buy the wife lots of shoes, so she won't nag you about your new hobby...

Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
jeffmeh

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you can afford it and don't want to DIY, then go for it. Everything I have read has been positive. For about $3,000 for the 50l model, I cannot justify it.

That being said, I am looking to go DIY with a single-vessel, full-volume, electric unit. I currently do BIAB with propane, and I do not really see the need to sparge (although I am not at all critical of more traditional methods). I will probably use a basket lined with mesh or a voile bag, a PID with an electric element, and recirculate from bottom to top. I suspect that I can put the whole thing together for under $1,000.

There are some plans for a DIY Braumeister clone at http://arniew.wordpress.com/.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
ocluke

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inodoro_Pereyra View Post
Hmmm...if I understand you right, then you need an extra pot to preheat the sparge water. Also, sparging is normally done by slowly sprinkling the hot water over the grain bed. Standing on top of the MLT with a pot full of hot water doesn't seem efficient, or safe...
True. This may require a 2nd vessel. That said, if you're ok with the volume and efficiency you get from a single infusion mash, I bet you would end up with some delicious beer made with only the first runnings. There was a guy posting somewhere around here about his efficiency with single infusion mashing in it, and I want to say it was high 60's or low 70's. I would totally live with that and just fork over the extra couple of dollars max in grain loss efficiency.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
If you can afford it and don't want to DIY, then go for it. Everything I have read has been positive. For about $3,000 for the 50l model, I cannot justify it.

That being said, I am looking to go DIY with a single-vessel, full-volume, electric unit. I currently do BIAB with propane, and I do not really see the need to sparge (although I am not at all critical of more traditional methods). I will probably use a basket lined with mesh or a voile bag, a PID with an electric element, and recirculate from bottom to top. I suspect that I can put the whole thing together for under $1,000.

There are some plans for a DIY Braumeister clone at http://arniew.wordpress.com/.
I have never done anything more than a 5 gallon batch and am happy with never going bigger. 10 gallons would just give me to much of the same beer. i am going to purchase the 5 gallon system and see how it goes.

I was contemplating the Brau Eule Brumas.com system but it is a 2 vessel system although it looks so badass!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #17
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Looks like a fancy toy for people with more money than time who want the easiest possible way to brew their own beer. I enjoy the time and effort it takes to produce a fine fermented beverage for reasons that this product could never satisfy. Not saying it won't make a good beer, just that it's not for me.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #18
haussparker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd
Looks like a fancy toy for people with more money than time who want the easiest possible way to brew their own beer. I enjoy the time and effort it takes to produce a fine fermented beverage for reasons that this product could never satisfy. Not saying it won't make a good beer, just that it's not for me.
I will agree with your comments. All these devices out there just takes the art, the creativity, hands on experience that I really love. Brewing beer is an art that you can connect to and appreciate much more when you get in there and use your hands and your own brain and a pencil rather than a digital plug and play device that anybody can use. There is a reason that grandmas cooking is always better than your moms, its because its done the old fashion way same with beer. The tried and true techniques from thousands of years practice is the way to go not electronic toys.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #19
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh

That is an awesome blog.

The reason for recirculating is to increase efficiency, correct? The idea is intriguing, seems like I'd only need a March pump and an extra hole in my kettle to achieve this, since I already have a ball valve.

Recirculating seems a little overkill for BIAB, which is how I brew as well. The whole point is that it's simple and inexpensive. I wonder how much better your efficiency would be with recirculating?

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
jeffmeh

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
That is an awesome blog.

The reason for recirculating is to increase efficiency, correct? The idea is intriguing, seems like I'd only need a March pump and an extra hole in my kettle to achieve this, since I already have a ball valve.

Recirculating seems a little overkill for BIAB, which is how I brew as well. The whole point is that it's simple and inexpensive. I wonder how much better your efficiency would be with recirculating?
My primary reasons for recirculating would be to even out the mash temperatures in the kettle while direct firing the electric element, and to give me the ability to clean in place. I'm getting 75-80% efficiency now, so I do not really expect to gain much, if any.

And you are absolutely correct that this falls in the "want" rather than the "need" category, lol. My main goal is to go electric at some point so I can more comfortably brew in the winter.

Quick Reply