Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #1981
tomatitotarifa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to hook up with BM users in the San Francisco Bay Area

Looking to hook up with BM users in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sorry, if this is not the place to post this, please let me know so I can move it.

Hello,
I am a new 50L BM owner in Spain. Haven't had much luck yet (2 bad brews out of three!). I will be in San Francisco visiting friends from next April 3 until April 30. I would love to meet some of you out there, so I can lean something from you (little will you learn from me) and give you a hand if you need it on a brewday. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Pedro

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #1982
tequilatom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default BM50 has arrived!

My BM50 arrived in perfect condition earlier this week. Was able to modify the plug and malt pipe as I wanted relatively easily (kudos to those who broke the ground for the rest of us!).
Not yet able to brew, had to have carpal tunnel surgery and am having neck problems again (had c3-c6 fusion). Looks like I should be able to brew mid to late April, or once it warms up here in Ohio. I don't have a vent set up in my basement yet to get rid of the water vapor, so that's out for now. Also have to watch what I lift, I am setting up an electric hoist to lift the malt tube, and dollies to move the BM and carboys around.
I also found a way to deal with the sharpness on the vertical edges of the legs as I heard someone mention, I used some computer case modding 'U' rubber molding I got on eBay, see attached pic:
bm50leg.jpg
Didn't use any glue, they have stayed on just with friction, though I may need to use contact cement or something else if need be.
Hope to break this bad boy in REAL soon!!!

Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #1983
brian320fo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgodilovebeer View Post
Sorry to change the current topic, but DeGarre kind of got me thinking about volumes and software.

For the more experienced users of the BM; Who's using BeerSmith 2 and what's your equipment profile looking like? I've taken screenshots of those posted earlier in the thread and thought it may be worth asking again since you guys have most likely fine-tuned the numbers by now based on experience. If anyone does post their BeerSmith equipment profile, it'd be good to know what changes to the BM system you've made.
These are the numbers I've been using. I've very carefully measured all my volumes and gravities and with these number I'm consistently hitting them right on. My equipment is the 20L with a dip tube and a Therminator plate chiller. I mash with 23L, sparge to bring volume to 28.1L (right at the bottom of the malt pipe when it's resting on the rim) and use a 90 minute boil. Hope these work for you.
profile.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1984
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the Beersmith help!

Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #1985
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very quiet here too. While we are waiting for an interesting new post, have a look at my dry hopped in a cask Timothy Taylor Landlord clone.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #1986
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

A bit long winded, but here's how brew #1 went;

I finally broke it in with an Oktoberfest Marzen. I figured I'd put it through it's paces with a bunch of steps (acid rest, protein rest, sac rest, and a mashout). Seriously, how much fun is it to open the lid after a pump break and watch the wort flow over the sides! My gravity expectations were hit within one point which was nice. The 90 minute boil was dead steady for the duration and all in all the brew day was 100% more enjoyable than my most previous (cooler mash tun, propane burner, 2 pots, etc).

I have to admit, I was pretty anxious considering pretty much every piece of equipment that I used in my last brew sat in storage except for two pieces of silicone hosing. I had purchased a plate chiller from Duda Diesel about a year ago and never got around to using it. That got the wort by gravity feed from 96C (boiling temp at my elevation according to the BM's temp sensor) to 10C taking roughly 10 minutes to fill the fermenter.

I was concerned about the break material getting into the chiller so I used one of those long SS spoons to whirlpool. Holding the top rigid about 20 cm above the centre post and using my other arm to consistently swirl the wort created a beautiful cone of break material around the centre post. After filling the fermenter, I still had 2 full litres of clear wort that I threw away as well as 1 litre of break material (the fluffy egg-drop soup type that pilsner malt tends to throw.

I opted to pass on any alterations to the BM on the first brew to set a baseline, and based on the efficiency of the brewday, I'll most likely leave it as is. Personally, I don't feel it necessary to make any modifications to this system if you use enough water up front to allow for the loss below the valve. Doing a whirlpool and letting it settle after the boil for about 10 minutes yields a 23L fermenters worth of crystal clear wort.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1987
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

congrats on your smooth brewday! the only thing i'm not that thrilled about on the BM is the valve. mine has recently shifted its open point; used to be that if the handle was sticking straight out it was fully open. then suddenly the highest flow was about 15 degrees past straight out, and the max flow rate was waay lower than normal. i had never disassembled it (a mistake, there was quite a bit of gunk in there, i will now do this regularly), and when i did open it i saw the plastic sleeve (in which the metal cylinder spins) had turned a few degrees inside the valve housing, see before and after pics. maybe this was because it had sticky wort in it that i didn't properly clean, don't know. i always just ran oxyclean through while soaking the kettle but this isn't quite enough. you can see the gunk on the valve in the pics. you can bet that's getting a good cleaning later. anyways it was easy enough to turn the sleeve back to normal with pliers (shredding the end a bit, oh well). so in the before pic you see a crescent of the plastic sleeve.
now back to the good part;
yesterday's brewday, 25 liters of 16.8P (1.069) maris otter based wort, 24 L into the fermenter!! kept a good eye on the mash and stirred a lot, no problems. my best overall extract yet, i usually only shoot for 19-20 L of higher gravity wort

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1988
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

according to beersmith my brew yesterday hit 81% efficiency! highest i've ever got.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1989
mellowmonk
Recipes 

Has anyone tried one of these stainless steel strainers with their 20L BM? http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-...esh_p_123.html

Because of my chill plate I really need to reduce the amount of trub and love the idea of the reusable stainless. Do you think this will interfere with the heating element?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1990
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

81% is great for efficiency! A couple $'s or €'s per batch saved in grain adds up to full batches over time.
I'd bet the plastic rotated like it did on yours because of small amounts of dried wort building up over time. You know, how it needs to be "cracked" to break the beer-shellac like on taps that sit unopened for a week.

Quick Reply