Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #1941
Ragtop232
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And here's where I believe the Braumeister gets it's great efficiency. The pump rest, in my opinion, is for the grain bed agitation. This is why I don't put any type of seal around the metal top and bottom plates to the malt pipe as this would hinder them from freely moving when the system has a pump rest. Also another reason to not overfill the malt pipe. In my opinion, if you want to do a big beer, up the grain bill and split it in half and mash twice, but don't stuff your malt pipe full. I think the pump rest is equivalent to stirring as the top plate retracts and the grain settles to the bottom only to be agitated again when the pump starts.

Jim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1942
Flyhard
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am thinking about a setup to use the pump of the braumeister for a hot whirlpool. Basic idea is taking some copper tubing and a rubber plug and fabricate a tube that fits into the outlet from the pump (with the rubber plug as a seal) and the other end comes closed out of the wort as a handle. Somewhere in the tube I'd mount a T-fitting and a piece of copper tubing as the whirlpool outlet.

Anyone got some experience with that?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #1943
Alchemy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhard View Post
I am thinking about a setup to use the pump of the braumeister for a hot whirlpool. Basic idea is taking some copper tubing and a rubber plug and fabricate a tube that fits into the outlet from the pump (with the rubber plug as a seal) and the other end comes closed out of the wort as a handle. Somewhere in the tube I'd mount a T-fitting and a piece of copper tubing as the whirlpool outlet.

Anyone got some experience with that?
Sounds like a good idea, just be sure that handle is truly sealed or you have your very own fountain of wort :-)
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #1944
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
yep that's about the long and short of it, as far as i can tell. how loose the mash stays depends of course on the crush and composition of the mash as well as how full the pipe is. so it is possible that you open the top and see a somewhat compacted grain surface, but often in my experience this means over-filled mash pipe = poor circulation = poor efficiency. you should be able to get a mash paddle (well, wooden spoon) through it and to the bottom of the pipe pretty easily. when you get the pipe just to its limit, for me that usually means making around a 1.074 og wort, there's no room for the grain to settle back down when the pump is off, and you will see the grain pressed (lightly) against the top screen when you open it
Thanks dinnerstick - I think I have the answers I was looking for. From what several of you Braumeister owners have seen, the pump is powerful enough to counteract the force of gravity and raise the grain bed, but not powerful enough to compress it in any way (so the grain bed falls back down due to gravity when the pump stops pumping). And as long as the grain pipe was not too-full, there will not be any significant compression against the false top.

Thanks again,

-fafrd

Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #1945
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I didn't have BM already, this video would make me buy it.

http://youtu.be/aRazNwUqnhg

Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1946
Keith577
Recipes 

Yeah, I got that part. Actually, the "malt tube" was a "grain bucket" in my mind...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #1947
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My 20L showed up today!

Minimal surface damage on the inside of the kettle from the malt pipe rattling around in transit, no biggie. Now, just need to work on the electric portion of it all. Did I see somewhere back in the thread, that someone had found a replacement cord that plugs directly into the BM with a North American 220v plug? No cutting/splicing required? All I can recall is that it was black

BTW, thanks to everyone for documenting your experiences with this piece of equipment. It's amazing to see such an international group of people sharing their combined knowledge! The epic detail in Yambor44's YouTube videos is what made me decide to end a 15G 3-vessel system build, opting for the Braumeister.

Again,
Cheers!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #1948
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgodilovebeer View Post
Did I see somewhere back in the thread, that someone had found a replacement cord that plugs directly into the BM with a North American 220v plug? No cutting/splicing required?
For the 20L

5ft NEMA L6-20P to C13, 14/3 SJT (15A 250V)

AC Power Cord L6-20 Plug to IEC 60320 C13 Connector 15 Feet 15a/250v 14/3

Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #1949
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

These are for the 20L.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #1950
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks psehorne! Did you end up going this route?

Quick Reply