Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #1921
lylo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had an Ausiie suggest reading the head space instead and it made sense. 40 liters to the top of the rod minus 10 cm dow equals 30 liters! Huh I think I will just cut off a yard/meter stick and use the zero to 40 cm marks to measure down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #1922
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

sometimes the answer is right in front of your face! i like it

Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #1923
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on this bad boy!
Has anyone had issues with the pump as mentioned in earlier posts? I'm hoping this has been resolved. Also, nobody's burned down their house yet by hacking the cord I hope.

Reason: add question

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #1924
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I've had two bm's running 5 days a week since August 10, 2012. Still solid as a rock.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #1925
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

bcryan- !! are you very thirsty or running a brewpub?? more information required! i'm just about at the first birthday of my machine, with maybe 20 brews done and various other uses (sous vide cooker, pasteurization water bath) running the pump. never had an issue with the pump, never even opened it! knock on wood. i have a silicone hose that fits right in the inlet/outlet holes, and i flush it very well in both directions with a lot of hot water, after an oxiclean soak, after each use. now- about to go brew an english brown ale!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #1926
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Good to know guys. I'm just waiting on a shipping quote from morebeer at this point. I was quoted roughly $2600 (unit, thermo-jacket, & shipping) from our Canadian distributor. Seems abnormally high.

bcryan...? 5/week?!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1927
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

goodgodilovebeer Just an update too about PM's.
I just checked my Visa bill. BM20L+Jacket plus all freight, taxes,brokerage fees,currency exchang,EVERYTHING was Cdn $ 2173.82 to my door in Alberta.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #1928
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

Could the 20L brew smaller 2.5-3 gal batches? Sorry if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find the answer skimming through the first half of this thread.

I BIAB 2.5 gal batches and usually mash with 4 gal of water and no sparge. After grain absorbsion, boil and trub loss I usually end up with a little over 2.5 gal.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1929
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Lylo, I couldn't wait for morebeer to get them back in stock... I'm mega impatient when it comes to new toys! I ordered from Canadian Homebrew Supplies after speaking with a guy named Randy. I called and he was more than happy to answer a bunch of questions I had, even though I could tell that the shop was teaming with customers in the background. I really appreciate little things like that when it comes to customer service. Within about an hour, I had an email from FedEx regarding the shipment. Pickup from their shop being scheduled for Monday. 3 day was the only option, but I'm ok with that. I've ordered a bunch from morebeer over the past few years, and while I've never had a problem, I decided to throw my cash at our economy (not at all intended to make you feel guilty). Hope there's great beers being brewed up in Lacombe!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #1930
fafrd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop232 View Post
There's been a couple questions about the pump. Here is a close-up of the label.

Jim
I've been following this thread and am very interested in the way the Braumeister works. A 10 Bar pump is very powerful - if I have the conversion right, 10 Bar equates to about 102 meters (or 334.6 feet) of head, or 145 psi.

This is more than 26 times more pressure than the March809, which has 12.1 feet of head, or 5.25 psi.

Is there anything I have wrong here - is it correct that the Braumeister is using a much, much more powerful pump that the March809?

The other question I have is for all Braumeister owners out there. I've seen the video, and it's pretty clear that the very top surface of the grain has been pressing against the 'false' top' in the grain tube. What is not so clear to me is whether the entire grain bed is also getting pressed against the false top during recirculation or not (just a small surface layer).

For those of you that have removed your grain tube and emptied it, is the grain bed compressed into a compact patty or loose? Any other evidence of whether the bulk of the grain is pushing down on the false bottom or pressing up against the false top during recirculation ? Has anyone ever halted recirculation mid-way (for stuck mash or whatever reason), removed the false top and stirred the grain bed? And if so, I would appreciate a description of what the grainbed was like and where it was located - was it compacted (maybe even into a compressed patty) or was it loose? Was it up high near the false top or down low near the false bottom?

I have no idea what is happening to the grainbed inside the mashtube when liquor powered by that powerful of a pump is being forced up into the bottom of the grainbed, and would appreciate any insight the Braumeister owners out there could provide...

thanks,

-fafrd

Quick Reply