Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1891
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

update on the speidel fermenter: if i could have overcome the initial high temp, this would have gone really well. overnight after pitching a huge amount of wyeast 1968 (i always pitch big with this yeast) it got up to 25 when i wanted it at 19, but it cooled down by the afternoon. i just kegged it, it tastes ok, i'll have to wait and see if it's really estery/headachey. cleanup was only marginally more time consuming than after a normal brewday, the capacity is much larger than my normal fermenter, so dry hopping was a breeze. if i can be sure i can keep it chilly over the first day i'll do it again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #1892
lylo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am about to jump in the kettle with you guys but might need a little push. I would like to here from some of you about the typical brew day. My main concern is the overall length of day. I read 1 post that claimed 10 hrs. That seems way high to someone who BIABs's with single infusion and no-chill, in about 4 1/2 hrs. I expect I will continue with no-chill(cause I like it) so probably your times to:
1-Ramp to mash
2-ramp to Mashout lets say 78C
3- ramp to boil
These numbers would be great for me. I am halfway through my second reading of all posts and haven't been able to find any threads on this topic. I can hardly wait for morebeer to get these back in stock.I check their site daily even though they promise to e-mail me when they are in.
Morebeer!!Cmon already before,SWMBO figures out what I'm doing!!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #1893
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

depends of course on your starting / tap water temp. in the winter mine is single digits, let's say 7. i usually dough in around 50-54C. 23 liters takes ~30-40 minutes to get to strike temp. the ramp from there to sacc. rest temps of 65-68, assuming good circulation through the grain bed, takes maybe 10-15 minutes, and ramp to mash out maybe 10 minutes. there is probably a lot more variation among BM users in lautering time; this will of course depend on how well your grain bed flows, whether you sparge, where you sparge (into a separate vessel while already heating your first runnings) etc

assuming i have milled my grains in advance it typically takes me:
set-up 10 minutes, heat strike water 40 min, dough in 5 min, protein rest 15 min, ramp to sacc 10 min, sacc rest 60 min, ramp to mashout 10 min, mashout 10 min, lift pipe and start lautering 5 min, sparge (pre-heated on stovetop) 15 min, remove malt tube and continue lautering somewhere else, bring to boil 20 min, boil 60 min, cool wort and knock out (variable, depends on how much other stuff i'm doing) 45 min, oxygen + yeast + setting up temp control 15 min, cleanup 60 min.
something like 6-7 hours for me

Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 AM   #1894
brewbush
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylo View Post
I am about to jump in the kettle with you guys but might need a little push. I would like to here from some of you about the typical brew day. My main concern is the overall length of day. I read 1 post that claimed 10 hrs. That seems way high to someone who BIABs's with single infusion and no-chill, in about 4 1/2 hrs. I expect I will continue with no-chill(cause I like it) so probably your times to:
1-Ramp to mash
3- ramp to boil
These numbers would be great for me. I am halfway through my second reading of all posts and haven't been able to find any threads on this topic. I can hardly wait for morebeer to get these back in stock.I check their site daily even though they promise to e-mail me when they are in.
For me, I absolutely love my 20L. I brew in my basement, and can not be any easier.

1. to get to mash in temp it takes about 30-45 minutes iirc
2. to get to mashout is another 1-2 hrs depending on your cycle that you program.
3. I get up to boiling in another 30 or so minutes...it is already at mashout temps, so it does not take long.

For me my day is much, much shorter then when I was a propane person.

You also have to remember, even if the temperature ramps are too long for you....you can go do something else while the machine does the work. You just have to make sure to check for stuck pump and may have to stir, but other then that you have MORE free time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #1895
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thats the kind of info I'm looking for.I feel like somekind of jock getting phsyched up for a big game. I am stoked and ready for morebeer to get stock!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1896
swiggingpig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
1-Ramp to mash
3- ramp to boil
My brew day normally takes around 5 hours with the 20L BM including cleaning up.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #1897
roomfullofmirrors
Recipes 

These Beersmith 2 profiles may be a place to start for brewers using the software. I got them to a point where I was happy enough with them, but they are far from perfect.

They are built from the profile of a brewer named Snow on the Beersmith forum.

File Type: bsmx 50LBM(A).bsmx (1.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: bsmx 50LBM(B).bsmx (1.3 KB, 44 views)

Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #1898
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I am about to jump in the kettle with you guys but might need a little push. I would like to here from some of you about the typical brew day.
My 20L has been pretty consistent in 10 brews from October til now in ramping

Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #1899
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I am about to jump in the kettle with you guys but might need a little push. I would like to here from some of you about the typical brew day.
My 20L has been pretty consistent in 10 brews from October til now in ramping the temp at 1C/min. (For example to go from mashout of 76C to boil at 100C takes 24 minutes). I'm in North Texas and usually brew on days when the temp are around 50F in the morning with a high in the mid 60s in the afternoon this time of year. A typical day starts at 9AM and by 3PM I have finished including cleanup - 6hrs.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #1900
Ragtop232
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just received my Braumeister 20L today. One of the latest to come out of Germany as I was told by Morebeer.com they had just unloaded the container. Anyway, I've heard many on here complain about the legs cutting them when they handle them. I don't know if this is new or I'm late to the party, but the bottom of each of the legs now have some kind of edging that will prevent scuffing and the sharp edge. I'll show you pics below.

It will be a couple weeks before it's maiden voyage, but I'm really looking forward to brewing on this machine. I'm also happy to say mine arrived without a scratch or dent. I believe they've worked on their packaging as well as everything was packed very snug and tied down.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in this thread and sharing my journey on the Braumeister 20L.

Jim

Quick Reply