Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #1881
ptjusa2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Should I take the discount or get the replacement tank?

First time poster, long time reader. My 50l Spiedel arrived this morning. Pristine condition with the exception of the lift bolts on the malt pipe rubbed off the polished outer finish inside the tank in several places. I called morebeer immediately after discovery and they were both understanding and apologetic. They gave me two options:
1) a 10% discount
2) they will send me a replacement tank

I'd like to hear any recommendations for which option I should take. My welding buddy says it will not rust since it's solid SS. My fear is it may affect flavor. I'm hoping at least one other person has experienced this before and willing to share their resolution. Thanks in advance. I should be brewing this weekend; maiden brew will be a Pete's Wicked clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #1882
Alchemy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine is scratched as well and I have no off flavors from it. Wish I had gotten ten percent haha!

Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #1883
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

what "tank" do you mean? the malt pipe?. If it is the malt pipe I will tell them: yeah send me a new one, and just drill a few holes in it like some user did a few pages back... most probable thing is that it´s ok. That 10% off sounds great too.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #1884
ptjusa2000
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
what "tank" do you mean? the malt pipe?. If it is the malt pipe I will tell them: yeah send me a new one, and just drill a few holes in it like some user did a few pages back... most probable thing is that it´s ok. That 10% off sounds great too.
Sorry, by tank, I'm referring to the kettle that the malt pipe and water sit in. Morebeer customer service referred to it as the tank but I the owner's manual calls it a kettle. It's really a shame that Speidel ships it in the configuration that they do (with the malt pipe unsecured inside the kettle). The damage to my kettle is easily preventable if they simply put something over the studs to prevent the metal on metal friction during shipping such as foam padding.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #1885
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Well if is not very severe just roll with it and get that 10 off

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #1886
bierdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjusa2000 View Post
Sorry, by tank, I'm referring to the kettle that the malt pipe and water sit in. Morebeer customer service referred to it as the tank but I the owner's manual calls it a kettle. It's really a shame that Speidel ships it in the configuration that they do (with the malt pipe unsecured inside the kettle). The damage to my kettle is easily preventable if they simply put something over the studs to prevent the metal on metal friction during shipping such as foam padding.
I posted a few pages earlier....My 50L arrived severely dented and Speidel shipped a new tank. It is a bit of work to remove all the fittings and transfer. The threads are Locktite sealed and need heat (hairdryer) to remove. You need to re-seal threads when re-assembling. You also have to disassemble the electrical connections on the plugs going to the computer from the heater elements. Good couple hours work but with some technical/electrical knowledge not that difficult.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #1887
ptjusa2000
Recipes 

Appreciate the feedback, seems like the consensus is the 10% off deal which I will likely go with. Thanks for the responeses.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #1888
tequilatom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hello Everyone!

New member here, read through all the threads (whew!) and have decided on getting a 50l Braumeister. Actually wanted to order it last year, but the central A/C crapped the bed and cost me 5k to replace!

Have saved up enough now to go ahead with the purchase. I do have a few questions, one aimed at Batfink, about the 50l malt tube mod he did. I want to do 5 gallon high gravity brews as well, and wondered how his mod has been working out. I also ran 10/2 wire and hooked up a 20 amp GFI breaker, could someone let me know to make sure that is adequate?

I want to thank all the contributors whose hard work has benefited those of us who are just now joining the fold, and I look forward to contributing what I learn as well!

Prost!!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #1889
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilatom View Post
I want to thank all the contributors whose hard work has benefited those of us who are just now joining the fold, and I look forward to contributing what I learn as well!
it's quite amazing isn't it. welcome to the club!

here's a general question, has anyone used the BM as a fermenter? (other than me now) i got the idea from the person a few pages back who was using the BM to hold a souring mash at ~40 degrees for a berlinnerweiss.
my one temp controlled fermenter is busy with lagers, when suddenly i got short notice to brew 2 beers quickly to serve at an event. obviously i'll be making making ales, but with the cold weather and temp swings inside the house i won't risk ambient temp ferments. for the first brew i emptied my mini-fridge kegerator, split a 24L (1.072) brew from the BM 20L into a corny and a half-corny (stupid bucket doesn't fit in it), wired a heat belt into the thermal controller, set at 19. for the second my only option was the BM itself, so i brewed indoors (24L, 1.070), cooled, knocked out to a clean bucket, oxygenated the wort in the bucket, moved the empty BM to the unheated backstairs where ambient temp is ~12-13, brought the bucket and refilled the wort to the BM, pitched yeast. put it on manual mode, set to 19, turned the heat on. wrapped the lid with plastic wrap just to keep dust out of the two ventilation slits, covered with a blanket, went to bed.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #1890
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

amendment to the above post, even in the cool ambient temp the yeast cranked up its own heat, and it has gone way too hot! unjacketed, metal against cool air, temp isn't coming down. oh well, chalk this up to learning, this is going to be a crazy beer.
in principle this technique almost works but not quite.

Quick Reply