Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #1851
psehorne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhvegas View Post
Well, here's an update. I searched the web and found some Aussie home brewers with the same issue. They suggested that I check and clean the temp sensor connection, it's a small three prong connector on the bottom that screws in. I unscrewed it, cleaned, then reinstalled tightly... Sure enough, I was brewing!
Interesting.... I'll have to remember that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1852
tomatitotarifa
Recipes 

Default New (future) BM owner in South of Spain

Hello all BM owners & forum members:

I have to agree with an early post, dating back the sub-100 page history of this forum, in which the member (sorry can't remember the name) says it's one of his all-time favourites. It truly reads like a thilling novel, keeping you forever hooked.

I am still reading page 85, started from number 1, without missing a single post, and plan to continue till the end. By then, I hope I will have received my BM 50L, in the town of Tarifa, the southermost town of peninsular Spain, overlooking the Moroccan coast.

Just wanted to let you all know that I am here lurking and hope to be able to contribute experiences (probably not before I have asked many questions!).

So thank you all for such a good source of knowledge and BM-specific information.

Pere Carrizo
Tomatito Bar & Restaurant, Tarifa, Spain

2012-11-17-593.jpg  

Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #1853
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default BeerSmith profile for Braumeister 20L

I have tuned my BeerSmith profile for the Braumeister 20L over a half dozen brews now. Will share it with the group in the pic attached.

NOTES:

• Batch Volume: 19.5 liter is how much I put in a 5 gal carboy keg, leaving no head space. Aerate thoroughly while the carboy has head space remaining; i.e., when it is about 3/4 full. I also use a venturi when moving wort from the kettle to the carboy.
  • Lauter Tun Headspace: This does apply to the Braumeister because it acts as both a mash tun and a lauter. However, in my configuration I have accounted for this in the Loss to Trub and Chiller field.
  • Loss to Trub and Chiller: .600 liter is a little optimistic. I can get there by tilting the kettle and using one of the fine malt filters in front of the port that feeds the spigot.
  • Fermentor Loss: is high because I use a blow off hose and lose about 1.5 liter during the blow off (alternative is to put less wort in the carboy and not use a blow off hose), and another ~1 liter is lost in trub/sediment left in the carboy. It might be better to use a smaller batch volume and leave head space in the carboy. This would have the benefit of allowing a higher gravity (because the wort would be less diluted) and less waste. I may change my process to accomplish this. Either way will only end up with about 17 liter of beer. Another alternative would be to use a 6.5 gal carboy, with the advantage of more head space without reducing the volume of wort put into the carboy and end up with a full 5 gal of beer.
  • Starter: My batch volumes assumes no starter will be added to the wort. Instead I create the starter after brewing using two to three liters (whatever BeerSmith recommends) of the wort and pitch the following day. Yesterday for the first time I used two packages of Safale US-05 with 7.8 ounces of water; so this 'starter' was added to the wort and accommodated in BeerSmith on the Vols page by setting the Starter Size to .23L and checking the 'Add starter to bottling vol' box.
beersmith-profile-braumeister-20l-.jpg  

Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #1854
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got rid off beersmith2, too complicated and too much clutter. I did all the calcs into a spreadsheet:
24L brewlength
no adjustments needed for evaporation, dead space etc
mash efficiency 76%
mash with 26L, sparge with 6L

With above I consistently get 85-87% mash efficiency and 24L into the FV.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #1855
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pere, is Tomatito a brewpub? Are you going to use 50L BM to brew small scale beer in it?

Very nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #1856
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Hola desde Benidorm tomatito. Hello from Benidorm tomatio. Good to know there is more spanish users aroud.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #1857
tomatitotarifa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
Pere, is Tomatito a brewpub? Are you going to use 50L BM to brew small scale beer in it?

Very nice.
Hi DeGarre

It's a very small bar-restaurant. If & when I get a proper and consistent brew, I will try to sell it bottled in the bar as a start. Eventually I'd like to have a tap parallel to our usual commercial brand (can't afford to have a problem and end up with no tap!)

Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #1858
tomatitotarifa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Hola desde Benidorm tomatito. Hello from Benidorm tomatio. Good to know there is more spanish users aroud.
Hola!

Nice to hear as well. It looks like it's selling pretty well in Spain. The class they gave in Barcelona to use the BM was fully booked.

Regards
Pere

Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #1859
bierdude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierdude View Post
Update: Thorsten (morebeer4u) and Ralf (Speidel) have been very responsive. Ralf said he would ship a new 50L tank and I agreed to swap the equipment. If it shows up as promised, I'm a happy camper....
Just received a replacement 50L tank in perfect condition. I'm totally satisfied. I can't say enough about the support provided by both Thorsten and Ralf. Thorsten is the only guy I would purchase a Braumeister from. The level of customer support they provided is over and above. Ralf even sent a tube of Locktite and emailed some notes to swap the pumps, etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #1860
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

has anyone had this problem, i was just cleaning up after another easy brew day (rookbier/rauchbier) and poking around the bottom of my 20L, and around the nut where the central stem is bolted in place there was quite a bit of heavily caramelized goop, it almost looked like some sort of glue or sealer, except that it came off fairly easily with a hot wash cloth. it was tough to get anything onto the nut since i don't have a socket wrench handy, but managed to get a crescent wrench on there for a few fractions of a turn at a time, and it was pretty loose. not finger-loose, but loose enough. i tightened it. i hope it leaks no more

Quick Reply