Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1791
psehorne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
You're not supposed to touch the metal grill and sieve, just open the nut and get rid of the bar, then lift the pipe to rest on the kettle. When you lift the malt pipe, the sieve and grill will move up too along the centre metal rod. When you then lift the malt pipe away say onto a big bucket to drain, no need to touch the sieve either.
I had no choice. The two top sieves and the grain below moved up above the malt pipe and grain began flowing out all around the malt pipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1792
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
An American Blonde Ale (the camera makes it look a little darker)
SG: 1.051
Yeast has now been pitched. Let the fermenting begin!
Here is a pic of the wort (near beer?) Friday morning (yeast was pitched Thursday evening). Notice how much the beer line has dropped. I started out with 19.5 liter (5 gal 17 oz). It is now at about the 4.8 gal level.

Note, I did not create a starter in advance. We brewed on Wednesday. I used 2+ liters of the wort to create a starter - then pitched the starter Thursday evening.
dscn0397.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #1793
brian320fo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just finished my 14th batch on the 20 litre system. I've had a problem on the last 6 batches or so and I can't seem to pin it down.

My pre-boil gravity and volume are right on the money. I do a 90 minute boil and my post boil volume is right on but my OG is about 10 -15 points low, in fact today it was exactly the same gravity as the pre-boil gravity! How is this possible? When I first noticed this many batches ago I just assumed I had made a measurement error. So the last 5 batches I was very careful and precise in my measurements, in fact doing them with two different samples. I correct for temperature and have also checked my hydrometer in distilled water at 59*F. I've also noticed my FG coming out about 6 points lower than expected. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #1794
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=brian320fo;4596181
... I do a 90 minute boil ... my OG is about 10 -15 points low, in fact today it was exactly the same gravity as the pre-boil gravity![/QUOTE]

May I assume you are using a hydrometer, not a refractometer? If so, are you allowing the wort to cool to ~70F before taking a reading? and are you correcting for temperature?

Could your hydrometer have gotten bumped and damaged, such that the scale is able to move?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #1795
Batfink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian320fo View Post
I do a 90 minute boil and my post boil volume is right on but my OG is about 10 -15 points low, in fact today it was exactly the same gravity as the pre-boil gravity!
That seems impossible. The only thing I can come up with is if you were to boil with the lid on, and not get any evaporation. But you wouldn't do that, would you?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #1796
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

If your pre-boil volume and gravity are spot on, and your final volume is spot on there is no way you can miss your final gravity, there has to be some miscalculation in your recipe or if you are using some beer software it´s probably not well adjusted.
Boiling the wort will anly reduce your volume and therefore increase the gravity of your wort it´s impossible to loose sugar during the boil,

Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #1797
brian320fo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew
If your pre-boil volume and gravity are spot on, and your final volume is spot on there is no way you can miss your final gravity, there has to be some miscalculation in your recipe or if you are using some beer software it´s probably not well adjusted.
Boiling the wort will anly reduce your volume and therefore increase the gravity of your wort it´s impossible to loose sugar during the boil,
I know. This is what has me so baffled. I'm very meticulous about my measurements. I'm beginning to think my therminator has a leak in it, thinning out my wort as I chill it. Next time I'll take a sample before chilling and one after and compare the results.

As far as software goes I use BeerSmith and got my numbers off their forum. Anybody have better numbers for the 20L?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #1798
brian320fo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
May I assume you are using a hydrometer, not a refractometer? If so, are you allowing the wort to cool to ~70F before taking a reading? and are you correcting for temperature?

Could your hydrometer have gotten bumped and damaged, such that the scale is able to move?
Yes, I use a hydrometer and have calibrated it with distiller water. It seems to be fine. All my other readings are normal so I'm investigating other areas in my system. Unfortunately this was not a one time issue, it's been a consistent problem for the last couple of months. I'm thinking maybe my therminator is leaking. I've talked to Blichman and they're helping me with that.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #1799
flemming
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian320fo View Post
Yes, I use a hydrometer and have calibrated it with distiller water. It seems to be fine. All my other readings are normal so I'm investigating other areas in my system. Unfortunately this was not a one time issue, it's been a consistent problem for the last couple of months. I'm thinking maybe my therminator is leaking. I've talked to Blichman and they're helping me with that.

Thanks,
Brian
If you're hitting your final volume it doesn't really make sense that your chiller is leaking. To have no change in gravity from pre to post boil means you'd have to leak the same amount you've evaporated in which case your final volume would equal your starting volume. For the sake of being thorough you could try checking your hydrometer in a known sugar solution. Dissolve 10g of sugar in 90g of distilled water and see if it reads 1.040. Don't forget to adjust for whatever temperature your hydrometer is calibrated at.

Robert

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #1800
brian320fo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemming View Post
If you're hitting your final volume it doesn't really make sense that your chiller is leaking. To have no change in gravity from pre to post boil means you'd have to leak the same amount you've evaporated in which case your final volume would equal your starting volume. For the sake of being thorough you could try checking your hydrometer in a known sugar solution. Dissolve 10g of sugar in 90g of distilled water and see if it reads 1.040. Don't forget to adjust for whatever temperature your hydrometer is calibrated at.

Robert
My bad, I misused terminology. When I said final volume I was talking about as measured in the Braumeister before transferring to fermenter. I will test my hydrometer again using your suggestion. Thanks.

Quick Reply