Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #1761
brewbush
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i agree, from my experience you can get 7kg in the 20L and get into the 1.070's pretty easily, even with a 60 minute boil, if you are a bit careful with the mash. that said, i am not at all against using a bit of DME to boost gravity a bit or fine tune a batch, it's a useful tool in the toolbox, i get upset when people berate its use! but i wouldn't be afraid to go higher on the base malt and cut down the dme if i were you; 6kg is easy to mash (your 11 lbs grain bill = 5 kg). i have had a couple batches with >7kg grain bills get a bit stuck so i am a little cautious now when i load it up, but i have been having great results lately, with efficiency around 73-75%. i now always open the machine and stir the mash a few times at pump breaks, and sometimes can see that it's getting a bit glumpy or starting to channel, especially when i use a lot of wheat or oats. don't be afraid of a longer mash, i sometimes do a 90 minute rest at sacc temp, and i generally don't add specialty grains until the end of the mash (15-20 minutes left at sacc temp), save the space at the beginning for stuff that needs to be mashed. check the temp at the top of the malt tube often, especially just after temp changes, to make sure there is good flow through the grain; if the wort isn't circulating well you will have warmer wort outside the tube and cooler wort inside, of course a few degrees difference is expected, but if this happens it's time to give it a good stir.
Is my technique of adding the DME and substituting it for the base malt at the 20-30 min boil mark correct then? Just for future reference if I need to reduce the grain amount?

Thanks for the info on the weight amounts for the 20L, trying to avoid any issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #1762
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I agree with the DME comment dinnerstick, I see no reason not use it if needed, I´m a cheap bastard and DME is expensive so I try not to use it but I see no problems doing it to get to your target OG. Saving your specialty malts for later in the mash is a great idea too. The unit keeps temps pretty steady with the insulating jacket and lid on during mashing. I too stir my mash during pump breaks and IMHO it does boost your gravity a few points.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #1763
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbush View Post
Is my technique of adding the DME and substituting it for the base malt at the 20-30 min boil mark correct then?
yes, i give it even less time in the boil; i throw in irish moss, yeast nutrients, and put in my immersion chiller all around the 15-10 minute mark, so i also add any sugars and dme then

Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #1764
danibier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Experienced BM 200 l brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcryan View Post
Anyone have any experience with the 200 or 500 liter braumeister??
Hi, I am an experienced BM 200 l brewer. By using 48 kg of malt and 4 kg of sugar I get more than 320 l of beer wort around 11 °P. So, the BM 200 can easily be driven as a 300 l device. I can recommend it.

Check out my page if interested:

http://de-de.facebook.com/pages/dani...76739955731354

www.danibier.ch

on this German forum you will find a lot of information regarding the BM 200 l - use google translate.

http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?na...&orderdate=ASC

There is yet no official 500 l BM as far as I know. But, I saw the link. It seems to me they want to show the BM 500 to the world on the BrauBeviale in Nürnberg that starts tomorrow. The price seems quite high for the 500 l version. Production will start soon, I assume.

Best regards from Switzerland, Daniel
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #1765
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 20L arrived in Fort Worth, TX this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by psehorne View Post
My 29L has made it as far as Memphis!
My 20L is here in the metroplex. Should be delivered to me tomorrow. I'll post pics of the unpacking. I'm going to run a simulated brew with water only and short rests of about 5 minutes(probably on Wednesday) just to test everything out. I'll post pics of that also. Hopefully I will be brewing my first batch on Thursday (simple American Blonde Ale first up). I'll post pics of brew day also.

I've invited my Son-in-law over on Saturday to brew his LME extract Northern England stye Brown Ale as all-grain. Then on Sunday I plan on brewing an American Brown Ale. These will get the pipeline started.

In the meantime, here are some pics of my 20L's new home:

The first pic is my brew house (actually our pool-side kitchen). When weather permits I will place the 20L on a table just under the chalkboard on the right. The 240 volt electrical outlet is out of sight on the side of the building within easy reach just over the fence.

The second pic is of the 240 volt breaker box with a GFCI circuit breaker.

Then a close up of the GFCI breaker and the L6-20R receptacle, which as I already mentioned is just over the fence on the right side of the building.
brewingstation.jpg   breakerboxopen.jpg   240v-gfci.jpg   electricaloutlet2.jpg  

Reason: spelling

Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1766
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
My 29L has made it as far as Memphis!
FedEx tracking shows "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #1767
digitaldeluge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Nice, are you going to do a water test tonight?

That outlet looks really dangerous, you knocked out too many of the rings, you really should get another one.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #1768
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeluge View Post
Nice, are you going to do a water test tonight?
I'm sure I won't be able to wait until tomorrow. Depends on how late it arrives today. Also, the temps this week are highs in the 60's, lows in the 30's with daylight temps ranging from about 45 (9AM) to mid 60's. So I will probably have to brew indoors. In which case, I will brew inside of the Blue Flamingo brew house and route the power cord out the window.

Quote:
That outlet looks really dangerous, you knocked out too many of the rings, you really should get another one.
I will be replacing the housing withing the next day or so (as soon as I make a trip to the hardware store). I originally had a larger, 4 conductor, 240 receptacle in there. That's why the opening has been knocked out too large for the L6-20R.

Reason: spelling

Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #1769
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

It's here! The box is in really good shape (minor scar). So hopefully no damage. Now on to the un-boxing.
braumeisterdelivery.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1770
psehorne
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
How about now?
electricaloutlet4.jpg  

Quick Reply