Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #1671
emanz1
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hello all, this is my first my first post. I've lurked for long enough, learned lots from you guys. Just received my brand new 20L Braumeister today. I'm wondering what enhancements you recommend. Things like a pick up tube and/or gaskets around the screens, etc. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #1672
wasp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome emanz1.

The BM's are so shiny and purdy it's ALMOST a shame to use them - NOT! You'll have great service from your BM.

I have the Thermocollar which helps to promote a slightly more rapid boil. But I wonder whether a thicker material (which can withstand 100*C) might be more effective at less cost.

I also have the copper hood (Thanks again clasley!!!) so that I can connect a flexible dryer hose and bend it towards my stovetop hood extractor. (SWAMBO can't stand the smell of the boil But hey! - At least she doesn't drink my beer either. ) It makes a perfect grain funnel too.

Makomachine here uses these Fagor pressure cooker gaskets. I have 2 ready to go as soon as my kitchen reno is complete.

**** This boughten beer is so F'n inferior.

I am not using a pick-up tube. I wait for all the trub, hops, etc. to settle-out after whirlpooling and before starting to send the cooled wort to the fermenter. The 20L BM is light and easy to tilt so that very little precious liquid is wasted.

Keep us posted emanz.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #1673
CS223
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Could someone put a tape measure on the 20L malt pipe and give me a height & inside diameter? Got an idea rattling around in my head.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1674
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

20L malt pipe height: 36 cm, ID: 27 cm

Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #1675
emanz1
Recipes 

Wasp, Thanks for the words of encouragement and helpful offerings. My thinking on the dip tube was that it might get some of that precious wort out (without tipping) and provide some contact with copper. Am I delusional or did I pick up somewhere in all my lurking on the brewing forums that boiling wort likes, dare I say even benefits, from some contact with copper? Anyone else heard that?

Thanks again, looking forward to getting all the prep work done so I can crunch some grain and do something fun.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #1676
digitaldeluge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got my 20l in the mail to day and there appears to be no shipping damage! YAY! Now if I only did not have to wait until November for my Speidel 30l fermenters. I guess I'll run a more convenient 240 outlet in the meantime, and make a power cord I didn't think my Braumeister would be here this quick and don't make one yet. I can almost taste the beer, and I'm going to imagine it tastes great!
For those who have some brews in how do the stickers hold up (I already removed the warning one from above the logo), I usually strip the stickers off everything and wanted to know if they get funny from the heat / moisture Thanks! in advance

Reason: yellow font is hard to read, additon

Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #1677
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeluge View Post
For those who have some brews in how do the stickers hold up (I already removed the warning one from above the logo), I usually strip the stickers off everything and wanted to know if they get funny from the heat / moisture Thanks! in advance
Stickers hold and are after 31 brews as new.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #1678
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Stickers will hold, the only thing don´t do what I did on my 3rd or 4th brew I´ve use some stainless steel cleaner to make the outside shiney and that kind of decolered the stickers but they are holding just fine and I don´t thing they´ll get peel off in years.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #1679
rafinus
Recipes 

Default Dimensions

Hi, could you post the external dimensions too? And if you have a good soul the thickness of the steel?

Thanks a lot...

Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #1680
rafinus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
20L malt pipe height: 36 cm, ID: 27 cm
Hi, could you post the external dimensions too? And if you have a good soul the thickness of the steel?

Thanks a lot...

Quick Reply