Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #1661
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

That looks a lot more like the Brumas than the Braumeister

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #1662
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

When the USD gets strong to the Euro, I am buying one.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 09-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #1663
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Another Shameless Plug

I finally have what I think is a great setup for fermentation. I bought one fridge to see if it would work to my satisfaction. It worked like a charm. (DFH 90 Min clone) So I now have a second fridge so I can ferment 10G at a time.
Earlier I had bought an ice cream freezer thinking it would be a good fermentation chamber. I found three problems, 1. Being an ice cream freezer it created a lot of moister which I would have to deal with. 2. It didn't fit through the door where I wanted to store it, in the pantry. (Hhmmmm ever hear of a tape measure...Dumb Ass) 3. It has a glass top letting in light and spoiling the brew. If it fit into the pantry I was not going to have to worry about the glass top.
I was talking to a fellow brewer who mentioned when he uses a secondary fermentation he does it in a corny keg. This alleviates one more chance for contamination. Since it’s already in the keg all you have to do is hook up the Co2 line give it a proper shot, cool down and serve. He doesn’t worry about the few bits of yeast/hops that make it into the keg. They usually come out in the first few glasses. As for dry hopping, I have a couple of the corny keg lids with the loop on the underneath side to hang a bag of hops. So my thought is to use the temperature controlled ice cream freezer for secondary fermentation. That way I won’t be tying up my primary fridges doing secondary fermentation. Brewing more and getting more beer conditioned, is the name of the game. The DFH brew took a month to complete, three weeks of conditioning, and three days to empty the keg. I can also use the ICF for lagering when I decide to take the plunge and brew the wonderful Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock.
First photo is the DFH clone in a 6.5 G carboy
Second is a test running both units on one controller
Third is the ICF and Keggerator

90-min-dfh-2-.jpg   temp-test.jpg   cimg4876.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #1664
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

while we're on the topic here is my weird fermentation control; i have the 20L brouwmeester (mine has recently renounced german citizenship for dutch), i had been packing it full to get in the range of 25L post-boil and 23 or so into the fermenter, even overpacked it a couple times to the detriment of efficiency, now i take it easy and aim for spot on 20L at the end of the boil to knock out just under 19 into my mad corny keg fermenter. i have taken to 'recirculating' the wort by hand for a minute (with a pitcher and one of my arms) after lifting the malt tube to set up a bit of a grain filter, sparging once with a relatively high volume and only collecting the beginning of the sparge runoff. that gives good efficiency and a pretty clear wort, and it's quick. i had been really stirring the grain to assist lautering, both in the initial drain of the malt pipe and then again in sparging, which i would typically do over a separate pot while starting to bring the temp up to the boil. i like my new way better, slightly lower efficiency (65-70 compared with 70-75, didn't calculate my last one yet) but i can just adjust the recipe. in a big fermenter like a 30L bucket i don't care if i carry over a lot of trub but every cubic mm counts when you're pressed for space!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...l-junk-350722/
sorry it's so long. i got excited that it actually worked. at least scroll to the photos!
just finishing my second beer in the corny fermemter, this time using the spunding valve after the sizable and fragrant blowoff from wyeast 3787 westmalle strain subsided. i love beer

Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #1665
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Well a little update on my proccess: I know crush my grains a little finner about 1 mm in the barley crusher, I ´ve pack the malt tube with to 7 kilos of malt, the pumps struggle a little but no fountains so far, I brewed a Double IPA all malt (no sugar in boil to dry it out) And I got a 1.077 wort with a 70 minute boil, that end up a tad sweet for my tastes so I brew the next one adding 0.5 of sucrose in the boil OG was 1.085. So I´m happy so far without having to make modifications or double mash or longer boils. I´m going to brew a quad probably next week and I want to hit high 90 in the OG I´ll probably boil longer and that´s it. Anyway the hole drilling in the malt tube looks like a good idea. I´m going to get into that next year when I get a spare malt tube (there is no way I´m drilling mine). Catch you later braumeisterians.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #1666
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

another use for the speidel- sous vide cooker! jut tried it for the first time. a bit worried about the bag opening and garlic lodging in the pump... but it went shockingly well!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/show...ml#post4436286
ok back to beer

Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #1667
digitaldeluge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Having never done any brewing I just ordered a 20L , head first in I go! Hello by the way, I lurk! ... Lurked?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #1668
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldeluge
Having never done any brewing I just ordered a 20L , head first in I go! Hello by the way, I lurk! ... Lurked?
Great first post! Welcome to the site!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1669
Batfink
Recipes 

What evaporation rate do you guys use in your brewing software to calculate boil off with the 50l?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #1670
flemming
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
What evaporation rate do you guys use in your brewing software to calculate boil off with the 50l?
When I first got my 50L, I did a few extended boils purely for the purpose of establishing a starting point and I ended up with a rate of around 5L/hr. Your mileage my vary, based upon a bazillion other factors

Robert

Quick Reply