Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #1651
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks good. Where's the pic of what you are using to cover the holes so you can use it for 50L?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #1652
Batfink
Recipes 

If I'm ever gonna brew a 50l batch i'll just use short M12 bolts, nuts and maybe if needed O-rings to cover the holes.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #1653
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Batfink, what do you reckon is the lowest gravity you can get with your modified malt pipe and how many liters?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #1654
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hope you get this attachment, I have actually got the Braumeister, it was cheaper to get it from Germany( just a retail shop) especially with the euro being so low I am happy with it but I almost bought the one in the attachment if it comes through.You will have to haggle if you are interested.
Here goes I will try and send it

homebrewing.jpg  

Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #1655
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdru View Post
First Brew-

Overall went very well. I had planned on 5 or 6 hours...ended up taking around 10. First problem was when I was cleaning the SB for the brew I realized it didn't have the nozzle/sprout...so ran to Home Depot and made one.

Also create an immersion chiller with ice slush solution that worked great (used a pond pump).

I was expecting my effeciency would be around 1.045-1.050 (came in around 1.038). I think this was due to my grain crush being a little large.

Machine worked perfectly the entire time...had a really nice boil.

Had a great time doing it can't wait for next run at this. Biggest problem was I started drinking beer about 4 hours into brew thinking I should be done in a few hours....so by the time I got to the 10th hour I was rather intoxicated.
Be careful with your measurements. I spent a while screwing around with my crush, only to realize that my mash efficiency had always been high (80s%), it was my BREWHOUSE efficiency—i.e. how much trub I was leaving behind that brought that number down. After fiddling with diptubes and whirlpooling, I realized that simply tipping the unit and propping it up, allowing the trub to settle into the corner did the trick. Instead of leaving 3 gallons behind, I now leave .75 gallons.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #1656
Batfink
Recipes 

Finally got around to write a few words about how my first brew went with the modified malt pipe. Brewed the base for a huge Imperial Stout last Monday with a 20 lb malt bill and 8.5 gallons of brewing water. Did a 60 min mash at 152 F, a 15 min mash out at 172 F and a 90 min boil. My OG was 1.092 which was ok, although I won't be completely happy until I manage to break 1.100 (seems to have become somewhat of an obsession to me ). As soon as the main fermentation is compleated i'll throw in some yeast nutrient and a wine yeast, and over a period of two weeks feed it with 4.5lb of Muscovado sugar.

Anyway, the brew went great and the amount and size of the holes was just enough to keep a good flow.

This last picture is a Double IPA I brewed on Wednesday with 9.5 gallons of water and a 17 lb malt bill. The OG on this one was 1.078.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
Batfink, what do you reckon is the lowest gravity you can get with your modified malt pipe and how many liters?
I really don't have no idea yet, but I will be using the 20l malt pipe for smaller beers, since I don't do over 6 gallon batches anyway.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #1657
datamike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsaarz View Post
I hope you get this attachment, I have actually got the Braumeister, it was cheaper to get it from Germany( just a retail shop) especially with the euro being so low I am happy with it but I almost bought the one in the attachment if it comes through.You will have to haggle if you are interested.
Here goes I will try and send it
What the hell is that thing? I can't find any info on it, other than the pic you posted.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #1658
datamike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
Finally got around to write a few words about how my first brew went with the modified malt pipe. Brewed the base for a huge Imperial Stout last Monday with a 20 lb malt bill and 8.5 gallons of brewing water. Did a 60 min mash at 152 F, a 15 min mash out at 172 F and a 90 min boil. My OG was 1.092 which was ok, although I won't be completely happy until I manage to break 1.100 (seems to have become somewhat of an obsession to me ). As soon as the main fermentation is compleated i'll throw in some yeast nutrient and a wine yeast, and over a period of two weeks feed it with 4.5lb of Muscovado sugar.

Anyway, the brew went great and the amount and size of the holes was just enough to keep a good flow.

This last picture is a Double IPA I brewed on Wednesday with 9.5 gallons of water and a 17 lb malt bill. The OG on this one was 1.078.

I really don't have no idea yet, but I will be using the 20l malt pipe for smaller beers, since I don't do over 6 gallon batches anyway.
What's your post boil volume with this setup?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #1659
Batfink
Recipes 

It was about 6.5 gallons. Started out with 7.9 gallons (30l) and had saved only 0.5 gallons (2 l) for sparging, since I wasn't sure there would be enough liquid to cover the heating coils. It seems you need about 8 gallons of water to start with, with a 16.5 - 22 lbs grain bill to keep the heating coils from running dry.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #1660
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default tantabrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamike View Post
What the hell is that thing? I can't find any info on it, other than the pic you posted.
O/k you won't find a Tantabrew website where you will find it is google :-Beijing Weijiachuang Machinery and Control Technology the business owner does have another website though he will sell direct through that website you will end up on he initially had it up for about $800 U.S I paid for it with paypal but he renegged on the deal and gave me my money back or said I could pay a total of $1500 for it which is still really cheap for a 60 litre copy of the Braumiester (and with a full copper shroud) which he claims is better (it whirpools as well)
I think he has a good business there and can afford the "take it or leave it" attitude when charging a retail price from a wholesale outlet, you will see what his business interests are when you visit his website and you can see he has to be doing well. I do a fair bit of business with China and believe me it takes a lot for them to return money once they have it in their claw.I am still going to go and see him next time I go over there,if I can swallow my pride ,I hate to loose.

Quick Reply