Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #1581
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
more info on that valve?? the stock one is a bit rubbish now that you mention it. is anyone whirpooling with an external pump?
It's just a 3 piece valve with a 1/2 inch NPT nipple, and hose barb - you can buy them on most online retailers - got mine from bargainfittings for another project that never came together. The key is a 3/4 to 1/2 NPT adapter, which I bought on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSL38Q/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I got hung up on the threading as the BM's threading is 3/4 BSPP (British parallel). After a ton of research and refusing to pay for the BSPP to NPT adapter (>$80), I found out through online research that the thread counts for 3/4 in both is the same and they are interchangeable with pipe tape. You'll need a few more wraps than normal but it sealed up tight with zero leaks. I did insure that I didn't over tighten by feeling inside the pot as I screwed itin. Worked brilliantly for 316 stainless less than $6"given I had the valve already.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #1582
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
more info on that valve?? the stock one is a bit rubbish now that you mention it. is anyone whirpooling with an external pump?
No pump here, but it's on the wish list. If you use a plate chiller you can get a nice whirlpool with a big spoon. I get a nice pile in the center without my old immersion chiller in the pot. With it in, it doesnt work very well. One of two reasons I bought the plate chiller. The other reason is cooling time - takes forever with the immersion chiller with high groundwater temps - going to use the immersion as a prechiller for the plate chiller and looking forward to pitching temps in less than 10 minutes!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #1583
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
It's just a 3 piece valve with a 1/2 inch NPT nipple, and hose barb - you can buy them on most online retailers - got mine from bargainfittings for another project that never came together. The key is a 3/4 to 1/2 NPT adapter, which I bought on Amazon.

I got hung up on the threading as the BM's threading is 3/4 BSPP (British parallel). After a ton of research and refusing to pay for the BSPP to NPT adapter (>$80), I found out through online research that the thread counts for 3/4 in both is the same and they are interchangeable with pipe tape. You'll need a few more wraps than normal but it sealed up tight with zero leaks. I did insure that I didn't over tighten by feeling inside the pot as I screwed itin. Worked brilliantly for 316 stainless less than $6"given I had the valve already.
awesome info, thanks!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #1584
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've tried whirlpooling in the 50L braumeister by putting copper elbows on the inlets at the bottom of the kettle, and that doesn't work. I've tried strengthening that whirlpool by using an external pump that runs wort back into the kettle and out the whirlpool-chiller from morebeer and that didn't do much for me either. You get a whirlpool, but because of the heating elements at the bottom of the unit you can't get a real good one going. And even when you think you do, you still find the trub doesn't collect in a nice little cone at the bottom like you might have hoped. I believe whirlpooling is a lost cause on this unit, but the good news is, if you tip the unit and let it sit (prop it up as I previously suggested) the trub will collect in the corner at the bottom and the drain is elevated enough to where it won't get much trub into your fermenters when you pump it out.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #1585
dinnerstick
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

hmmm... anyone ever have success getting a trub cone to form in the bm with an immersion chiller in? i normally don't mind how clear the wort is but i'm moving over to fermenting in a temp-controlled corny keg and need to make best use of the small space so i was hoping to get me a whirlpool chiller built. also, i can get wort cool pretty quickly if i run the bm pump, i have cold tap water year round, but i have clogged it before and am a bit nervous running it with a lot of hop gunk in there
still mulling it over...

Old 07-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #1586
SFBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:

Hilarious, I was planning on buying exactly the same part you did but then got hung up on the threading after a master steamfitter relative of mine gave me the "you're going to do what!?" look when I told him about it.

Ended up with the 60 dollar Adaptall part!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #1587
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBrewer

Hilarious, I was planning on buying exactly the same part you did but then got hung up on the threading after a master steamfitter relative of mine gave me the "you're going to do what!?" look when I told him about it.

Ended up with the 60 dollar Adaptall part!
I think the key is that this isn't pressure tight - but for holding fluids at the 6 gallon level, that's not a requirement. I can imagine a master steamfitter Is a bit more cautious given his profession and pressures involved with steam!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #1588
beradthefish
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I normally wouldn't mention a classified here- but I have a Speidel related item for sale in the classifieds- a stainless steel 3/4 male to 1/2 female reducer if you want to convert your output. Cheap, just don't need it. Price covers postage and a couple bucks more.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #1589
SFBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I think the key is that this isn't pressure tight - but for holding fluids at the 6 gallon level, that's not a requirement. I can imagine a master steamfitter Is a bit more cautious given his profession and pressures involved with steam!
agreed. tho I have to admit the "proper" part isn't as leakproof as I'd have anticipated or expected. Tho I have run the BM50L at capacity many times once I sorted the issue out and have had no problems since.

on an off note, has anyone tried brewing with adjuncts in the BM?

I ran a batch yesterday that was about 25% rice which was ground down to grits and gelatinized in a rice cooker...I did a long protein rest and had no problems at all with the flow thru the mash.

Post boil I had some funky hot break material...dark, filmy and gelatinous, not unlike seaweed and mucous. That was the only "exceptional" event I had with the brew session, other than a leaky seal (not related to the 3/4" to 1/2" bushing) that cost me about a liter of post-boil wort.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #1590
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBrewer

agreed. tho I have to admit the "proper" part isn't as leakproof as I'd have anticipated or expected. Tho I have run the BM50L at capacity many times once I sorted the issue out and have had no problems since.

on an off note, has anyone tried brewing with adjuncts in the BM?

I ran a batch yesterday that was about 25% rice which was ground down to grits and gelatinized in a rice cooker...I did a long protein rest and had no problems at all with the flow thru the mash.

Post boil I had some funky hot break material...dark, filmy and gelatinous, not unlike seaweed and mucous. That was the only "exceptional" event I had with the brew session, other than a leaky seal (not related to the 3/4" to 1/2" bushing) that cost me about a liter of post-boil wort.
Just did Cream of 3 Crops which has rice and corn it. Riice definitely gives some weird gelatinous floaters in my one time experience with it.

I always use rice hulls in every batch. A small amount 1/4 pound for all grains - 1/2 to 3/4 pound when using wheat, rye, corn, or rice. It only takes one session with the fountain to teach that lesson!

Quick Reply