Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #1571
mandrakemuffley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

the pumps make it a more complicated system than the urn. that said i'm sure someone with the right equip and time and skill could put one together, not sure how much cheaper it would be, especially in terms of man hours buit would be a great project. fair to say it is a fair bit more complex than an urn though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #1572
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
I finally found the time to brew the DFH 90 minute

5. I let the whole mash sit overnight as suggested in an earlier post. Also not a good idea if you want to keep the temperature steady. The temperature was 5 degrees warmer the next morning. I had turned off the pump so as not to have it running all night.
This was suggested by me, so I feel I compelled to balance your opinion with my own. First, I'm sorry your temperature didn't hold steady like you expected. This is very surprising considering one of the central functions (it's supposed to do well) is holding the mash temperature steady. It shouldn't matter much if you don't run the pump once you have reached the target temperature—the volume of the water and the sensor/heating element should keep it within +/- 1 degree. I'll verify this the next time I brew (overnight mash is the only way I do it now). I should add that I do have the thermal jacket for the braumeister—this should help keep the temperature steady as well.

Secondly, some of you might be interested to know that I successfully brewed a 1.097 Scotch Ale last weekend on my Braumeister 50L without doing a double mash. My grain bill had about 22.5 lbs of grain, and I figured out (through estimating, and previous posts) the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM water needed to complete the pump circuit in the Braumeister. The reasoning was that I wanted to wind up with as little water as possible post-mash so that it wouldn't take me forever to boil down the wort to ~5.5-6 gallons. For me, that magical number was 11.5 gallons (for 22.5 lbs of grain). You could complete the pump circuit with slightly less water, but it won't cover the heating elements. After the mash, my volume was just under 10 gallons. It took me just under 3 hours to boil that down to 6 gallons. This should give folks some rough numbers for brewing some stronger winter beers now (give them some time to age)

Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1573
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Soviet, I am glad you have chimed in. I used the thermal jacket, as well as the lid. It will be interesting to hear what happens with your next overnight mash. If you experience the same rise in temperature, I will turn off the heat as well as the pumps for my next attempt. The recipe states a lower mash temperature is desirable. I am surprised as you to find that the temperature did not stay steady. Could heat soak be the culprit?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1574
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Hi Soviet, I am glad you have chimed in. I used the thermal jacket, as well as the lid. It will be interesting to hear what happens with your next overnight mash. If you experience the same rise in temperature, I will turn off the heat as well as the pumps for my next attempt. The recipe states a lower mash temperature is desirable. I am surprised as you to find that the temperature did not stay steady. Could heat soak be the culprit?
I guess I should ask how you're measuring the temps. The electronic sensor was reading 158 (My mash temp for the strong scotch ale) when I woke up in the morning. Be advised that if you measure the temperature from the top of the malt-tube's cascading wort, the temperature may vary a bit.

This confounded me to no end when I first started brewing with the Braumeister. I did notice, however once you've run the pumps for a while, especially with the lid closed, the temperatures will re-align with the electronic temperature reading. My theory is that this is because the top of the malt pipe that sticks out into the air is cooler than the submerged part, and therefore acts as a heatsink, cooling the wort that touches the top of the malt tube as it foundains out.. This doesn't however explain why your temperature was HIGHER. Hmmm.. I'll let you know my findings when I brew next weekend.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #1575
FiveKaiBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ok so i started this thread a while ago and unfortunately im selling my setup. four kids and going from a employee to the owner of our family business with my dad stepping down has left me with no time for this hobby.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/speidel-braumeister-20l-home-brewery-supplies-343263/#post4273888

please see the link to the sale of my equipment. i have lots and will post a complete list soon but for now this is what i got off the top of my head . thanks for the guidance and inspiration during my time in this awesome hobby.

Bene+dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #1576
mandrakemuffley
Recipes 

Quote:
mandrakemuffly,
Which brand of plate chiller do you have? I bought one and it doesn't work anywhere as well as you describe. Your drop in temperature is impressive.
Are you reticulating ice water through it or is that just using tap water?
Tap water temps are warm here in Oklahoma especially in the summer when outside temps are well over a 100F/38C day after day. Thanks a bunch I appreciate the ideas and feedback.
just to follow up, the plate chiller is a 'Shirron'. does an admirable job, with the right prep.

on another matter, i have a couple brews in the fermenters and i have just racked them off from their primary fermenters into a couple secondary carboys. they are from the same brew, different yeasts, but after about 10 days in the primaries, since racking one has kicked off again and i have a mild krausen forming, but with a patchy foam, not an even spread. the grav readings had stabilised for 3 days in the primaries. just wondering if i may have an infection or have others experienced a similar occurance?
i guess a couple photos would be useful in terms of the foam forming.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #1577
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A couple of new goodies that I'll be using to modify my brew process on the braumeister - a new valve and a 30 plate chiller from Duda Diesel. Pictures to follow upon my next brew day and I'll let everybody know how it works.

image-3103537260.jpg  
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #1578
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Soviet: I guess I should have mentioned that the temp reading came from the braumeister sencor.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #1579
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Made up 6.25 gallons of starter today in the BM and tried out my new pressure canner. Should be set for a long time on starters! Very strange mashing but not boiling (in the BM) or cooling. First time but trying to make it easier for impromptu beer brewing sessions. Also going to be building up my yeast library through some yeast washing. New valve worked great - no leaks and twice the flow from the standard valve.

image-3170725731.jpg  
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #1580
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

more info on that valve?? the stock one is a bit rubbish now that you mention it. is anyone whirpooling with an external pump?

Quick Reply