The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #1541
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Speaking of screens, when I unpacked the Braumeister, and noticed that the factory had replaced the fabric screens with Stainless steel I was pleased. Then I looked at the edges. Knowing how screens tend to come apart, I thought it would not be good to have a stray piece end up in someone’s glass. I know the factory put a lot of thought into their design. But I figured I would have to modify them in some way.
The small weave around the center hole didn’t concern me as much as the outer edge. The first option I thought of was to not use them, and replace them with a frying pan screen. It didn’t take too long to can that idea. Finding one to fit, cut the handle off, nope bad idea.
Then I thought why not fold the edges over to eliminate the chance of them coming apart. It would make a smooth edge making them easier to clean, handle etc. I then looked for an object that would make it easy to fold the edge up and then over. I used a flat piece of metal about 1/8 inch thick, that had a rounded end. I wanted to make sure I didn’t fold over so much of the screen that it would block the holes at the edge of the plate. I gently folded the edge of the screen up all the way around. Then I pushed the edge over. The screen looked great, but what if ….If I fold it over again, the edges will be trapped and should never come apart making the screen even more durable. So I repeated the process again. Now I have a thick edge with different thicknesses of screen (a bit wonky as the British would say). I had just poured myself my last bottle of Stone’s Arrogant Bastard Ale (can’t get it hear in Oklahoma) and thought why not roll the bottle over the edge like a rolling pin. It worked like a charm making the edge flat and smooth. However, when I placed the screen on the malt plate it didn’t lay flat. I really wanted to make the plate/screen setup quick and easy and more importantly not have to worry about stray grains. So I used Stainless steel safety wire and tied the screen down to the plate in a few places. I am a car nut and just happened to have some around. Stainless steel guitar string I am sure could be used as well.

cimg4815.jpg   cimg4816.jpg   cimg4817.jpg   cimg4818.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1542
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag
Speaking of screens, when I unpacked the Braumeister, and noticed that the factory had replaced the fabric screens with Stainless steel I was pleased. Then I looked at the edges. Knowing how screens tend to come apart, I thought it would not be good to have a stray piece end up in someone’s glass. I know the factory put a lot of thought into their design. But I figured I would have to modify them in some way.
The small weave around the center hole didn’t concern me as much as the outer edge. The first option I thought of was to not use them, and replace them with a frying pan screen. It didn’t take too long to can that idea. Finding one to fit, cut the handle off, nope bad idea.
Then I thought why not fold the edges over to eliminate the chance of them coming apart. It would make a smooth edge making them easier to clean, handle etc. I then looked for an object that would make it easy to fold the edge up and then over. I used a flat piece of metal about 1/8 inch thick, that had a rounded end. I wanted to make sure I didn’t fold over so much of the screen that it would block the holes at the edge of the plate. I gently folded the edge of the screen up all the way around. Then I pushed the edge over. The screen looked great, but what if ….If I fold it over again, the edges will be trapped and should never come apart making the screen even more durable. So I repeated the process again. Now I have a thick edge with different thicknesses of screen (a bit wonky as the British would say). I had just poured myself my last bottle of Stone’s Arrogant Bastard Ale (can’t get it hear in Oklahoma) and thought why not roll the bottle over the edge like a rolling pin. It worked like a charm making the edge flat and smooth. However, when I placed the screen on the malt plate it didn’t lay flat. I really wanted to make the plate/screen setup quick and easy and more importantly not have to worry about stray grains. So I used Stainless steel safety wire and tied the screen down to the plate in a few places. I am a car nut and just happened to have some around. Stainless steel guitar string I am sure could be used as well.
So how does it work? My concern would be the edges as at least in my case, my plate doesn't sit exactly flush to the bottom. I'd be worried that the narrower screen would let some grain by - especially when removing the malt pipe and sparging.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #1543
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Macomachine,
So far I am happy with the results. I think having the SS screen pined to the plate helps. I believe the culprit is the fitment between the plate and the malt pipe. As you know the plates must be able to slide up and down easily in the malt pipe, without hanging up, or scratching the sides. Another reason I modified the SS screens. I Really like your idea of using the paint straining bag. I believe the bag is filling in the space between the malt plat and the pipe thus catching the strays. My question to you is, do you think your bag system would work if you removed the SS screams all together? I believe I read that you brewed your last batch without the top SS screen. That is what got me to thinking about removing both SS screens. I like the idea of the wart being able to flow easily through the plate, putting less strain on the pumps. I know Speidel has picked the pumps that are strong enough for the job. I gave them a good test last week. A pump failier would have been a disaster to say the least. I must say I love this machine, the process, and discussing it with like minded people. It's therapeutic and cheaper than a shrink. Not than I need one...I figure I won't need a shrink if I keep brewing. RRRR

Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #1544
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Macomachine,
So far I am happy with the results. I think having the SS screen pined to the plate helps. I believe the culprit is the fitment between the plate and the malt pipe. As you know the plates must be able to slide up and down easily in the malt pipe, without hanging up, or scratching the sides. Another reason I modified the SS screens. I Really like your idea of using the paint straining bag. I believe the bag is filling in the space between the malt plat and the pipe thus catching the strays. My question to you is, do you think your bag system would work if you removed the SS screams all together? I believe I read that you brewed your last batch without the top SS screen. That is what got me to thinking about removing both SS screens. I like the idea of the wart being able to flow easily through the plate, putting less strain on the pumps. I know Speidel has picked the pumps that are strong enough for the job. I gave them a good test last week. A pump failier would have been a disaster to say the least. I must say I love this machine, the process, and discussing it with like minded people. It's therapeutic and cheaper than a shrink. Not than I need one...I figure I won't need a shrink if I keep brewing. RRRR
Don't think you can get away without the top screen as I had a lot more "floaters" the one time I tried it - even tried closing of the top with the bag but just didn't work well with the paint strainer bag anyway. I'm going to give your method a try - if anything, it keeps the fingers from getting stabbed with the edges of that horrid screen. Speidel needs to "edge" their screens with a metal loop and this would all be a moot point!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #1545
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Malomachin said "Speidel needs to "edge" their screens with a metal loop and this would all be a moot point!"

I agree, just like a fry pan splatter screen, only fabricated much better, you know... the German way.

Thumbs up on your shamless plug by the way, nice setup, with nine taps I think you should change your name to Brew Monster.

"Party on Garth"

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #1546
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Malomachin said "Speidel needs to "edge" their screens with a metal loop and this would all be a moot point!"

I agree, just like a fry pan splatter screen, only fabricated much better, you know... the German way.

Thumbs up on your shamless plug by the way, nice setup, with nine taps I think you should change your name to Brew Monster.

"Party on Garth"
Thanks! 9 taps sounds like a lot, but it's really not when you like to brew more than you can drink!

I'm ordering some 10.5 inch steamer racks to see if I can't modify your design a bit. Will post pics when done in a few days. Have a simcoe/Amarillo pale ale to brew and will get some pics and commentary when done.

Prost!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #1547
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Looking forward to hearing how it goes and seeing the photos, Good Luck.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #1548
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
... the plates must be able to slide up and down easily in the malt pipe, without hanging up, or scratching the sides....
I have a rubber edge seal for the top mesh and plate which goes around the plate and ties them together. This is a very tight fit and it is not able to move at all, I just push it down the pipe down enough so the sidebar just barely touches it. Two brews with this and no problems, the top plate does not need to move up or down. Not a single grain coming through the seal.

Australians use this a lot, one trimmed the seal thinner so the plate could move, but there seems to be no need for it to move.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1549
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

DeGarre,
Good to know the top plate doen't need to move. Where can a "rubber edge seal" be found?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #1550
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
DeGarre,
Good to know the top plate doen't need to move. Where can a "rubber edge seal" be found?
I actually ordered it from Australia (I am lazy):

http://www.ubrew.com.au/web/index.asp

The seal is similar to the red rubber one that goes under the malt pipe.

Quick Reply