Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #1531
DeGarre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shameless beer cave brag...but I love it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #1532
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre
Shameless beer cave brag...but I love it!
Sorry, it was shameless. I've spent the better part of this year working on it and couldn't help myself!
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #1533
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcryan
How big of a paint strainer bag do you use? Seems like a great idea. I get way to much grain sneaking past my mesh screens. Thanks
I use the 5 gallon version with the elastic at the top from Lowes. Make sure you cut your hole as small as possible as this last beer, where I had reused a bag for about 5 or 6 brews I got more grain in the kettle at sparge. Upon closing the brew day I found the hole had stretched this last session n when I lifted up the malt pipe I let some grains into the kettle. First time thats happpened in dozen beers or so. I'm still chewing on ways to include the bottom screen but those pointy edges snag the bag, and my fingers, way too easily.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #1534
bcryan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

What if you put bottom screen in first. Push it to the bottom. Then malt pipe. Then paint strainer bag. I'll have to take a look when I get home. Just a quick thought.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #1535
crooow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all. I've got two little kids and I don't have time to babysit my rig for 5 hours. For the past year or so, I've only been able to do extract brewing, but I miss all grain, and the Braumeister looks like it might meet my needs so I can get back into it. I have two questions:

1) Reading through this enormous thread, it looks like a few people use voltage converters and plug into 110v outlets. I'd like to do this to have some versatility in where I brew. Has anyone experienced any problems doing this?

2) Because of the electronics in this thing, I'm a little worried that 5 years out, if the brain dies, I'm out a couple of grand. How is Speidel support? I see from a few posts that morebeer and Speidel have been good about replacing parts, but sending this thing to Germany to be fixed would be a huge pain.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #1536
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow
Hey all. I've got two little kids and I don't have time to babysit my rig for 5 hours. For the past year or so, I've only been able to do extract brewing, but I miss all grain, and the Braumeister looks like it might meet my needs so I can get back into it. I have two questions:

1) Reading through this enormous thread, it looks like a few people use voltage converters and plug into 110v outlets. I'd like to do this to have some versatility in where I brew. Has anyone experienced any problems doing this?

2) Because of the electronics in this thing, I'm a little worried that 5 years out, if the brain dies, I'm out a couple of grand. How is Speidel support? I see from a few posts that morebeer and Speidel have been good about replacing parts, but sending this thing to Germany to be fixed would be a huge pain.

Thanks!
Can't answer the first one as I didn't go that route. I can say Speidel stands behind the product. You are likely never to have to send a completed unit back - pumps, electronics and elements are all user replaceable as needed. I've had pump and impeller replaced with Speidel sending them directly to me. Very satisfied with their post sale support.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #1537
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow View Post

Thanks!
I have read a few posts about people using 110VAC converters on the Speidel. Personally, I would never do this, unless I was in a rental and basically knew I'd be moving fairly soon. If your living situation looks to be stable for 4-5 years, I'd just bite the bullet and wire the 240VAC outlet.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #1538
morebeer4u
Recipes 

I have read these posts and i want to make sure that there is no misunderstanding about the Braumeister Units.
All Electronics are made for the US Market and have no issue running on 60Hz. All what is needed is a 240 Volt outlet which most of us have in the house.
Either from the Hot Water Heater or Dryer Outlet. All what has to be done is to cut off the old German plug and get a US 240Volt plug you need and wire it...plug it in and brew.
NO NEED TO GET A TRANSFORMER!
Speidel made some electronic changes to the brain, pumps etc. to make sure that there is no lack of performance or issues with the US electricity.
I am Speidel's direct Representative and Distributor and try to help with issues in any way i can even the unit was bought from the other Distributor in California.
Customer Service is a very important part of mine and the Speidel Company and very proud of the Braumeister and the acceptance here in the US.
I want to assure that there is no problem with any of the Braumeister Units and are very reliable brew systems.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #1539
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I finally found the time to brew the DFH 90 minute IPA clone. I learned a bunch and will be brewing it again but with some changes.

1. The grain bill for an 11 gallon batch is a monster, 34.5lbs in total. As mentioned in an earlier post I split the mash using both 5 and 10 gallon malt pipes. Not a good idea. Each pipe ended up with a large amount of grain, 11.25 lbs in the 5 gallon mp and 23.25lbs in the 10 gallon mp. I had to stop the process several times removing the top screen and stirring the grist so the pumps could circulate the wort. The wort never cleared.

2. I have been trying to incorporate many of ideas discussed in this thread. To that end, I made an attempt at conditioning the grain before grinding. Not having done this before I think it will take a bit of practice to get this technique to work properly.

3.I had the gap in my crusher set to .042 I believe this was another contributing factor of the wort never clearing. The husks looked to be mostly in tack but I guess with the amount of grain being used as well as the crush not being correct the results were not good.

4. Hops, I should have used a hop gag. The amount of trub was incredible. I only collected 6 of the 11gallons I was expecting.

5. I let the whole mash sit overnight as suggested in an earlier post. Also not a good idea if you want to keep the temperature steady. The temperature was 5 degrees warmer the next morning. I had turned off the pump so as not to have it running all night.

6. My before boil gravity was 1.074. Knowing I wanted to finish with an OG of 1.085
I added some Light DME and sparged. 30 min into boil gravity was 1.078, 1 hour into boil the gravity was 1.081, and finished with 1.091, no need for the DME

7. The cooling process went well I just needed more ice. In 10 min I had the temp down to 42C, 15 min down to 33C, 20 min to 30C and 30 min to 28C.

So next time….
1. I will split the grain bill in half and mash twice using the 10g mp.

2. Condition the grain correctly.

3. Use a wider gap for the crush.

4. Use a hop bag.

5. Brew in one day not two.

6. Have more faith in getting closer to the OG ….no DME

7. Have more ice on hand for the cooling process.

As it sits now I have 6 gallons of very cloudy, wort bubbling away in primary with a healthy dose of WLP 007. Soon it will be time to transfer to secondary, dry hop and filter before kegging.

Or serve the it in German style clay mugs….Live and learn

Note to self...don't over think the damn thing, simplify and just brew.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #1540
SFBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

thanks for sharing the experience Redstag!
I may try this myself soon and will report the results here.

regarding hops and trub in the BM, I've been considering experimenting with a hop rocket/randallizer to continuously pump wort thru hops and back into the BM during the boil, pausing to add hops as needed.

Probably won't work for large quantities of hops of course, but may reduce the amount of trub at the end of the process. Provide some filtering along the way as well.

hot side aeration could play in here, but using gravity flow to fill the rocket and reducing the flow on the pump may make that negligible.

Quick Reply