The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #1511
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post
I guess I’m now a paid-up member of the Braumeister club – I took my 20L for the maiden voyage on a Wheat Beer earlier today. What a relaxed brew-session.

I conditioned 4.72kg of grain with about 80-90ml of water and let it sit for 10-15 mins before I put it through my BarleyCrusher on the 1mm (0.039”) default setting. Some grains did not split open, so next time I’m going to set the rollers a little closer. Maybe a Bohemian Pilsner (Urquel wannabe) will be my second brew later this week.

Can’t complain though – Beersmith is showing my mash efficiency at 84.9%. Not too shabby for a first run.
Welcome to the braumeister family!
And I have a question for you guys/girls: did you aver give your braumeister a hug? If ever becomes legal I´ll marry my 50l setup. (I´m sorry her name is Braulia she hates when I don´t call her by her name). Do you consider this normal or should I stop drinking for a season.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #1512
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

mine is called detlef. he's a bit of a dick but he's efficient and seems to know what he's doing!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #1513
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
mine is called detlef. he's a bit of a dick but he's efficient and seems to know what he's doing!
Well ...he is german

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

cpa4ny Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #1514
wasp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Finer Crush - big mistake

Thanks for the welcome Oblivious brew.

I have read and re-read this thread several times over the past few months and I am very grateful for all the pooled knowledge. Thanks everyone.

Brewed a Kolsch this morning. Tightened the BarleyCrusher down to 0.7mm (0.028"). Mash efficiency fell to 80.8% and I saw some obvious channeling - an almost-fountain? Definitely too tight this time. I should have milled the barley at the default setting - or maybe wider - closing the gap for wheat when I use it. I'm going to play with crush size some more. What do others find the best?

I have been filling to 27L and rinsing with the volume of grain absorption + 2L @ 77-78*C. A 90min boil leaves around 24-25L in the BM after cooling.

Grain is getting past the fine mesh SS, so I'm thinking about using 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD - slit lengthwise - to hold it in place and seal against the malt pipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/3...mp-tubing.html

Thoughts? Is there a better solution?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #1515
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post

Grain is getting past the fine mesh SS, so I'm thinking about using 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD - slit lengthwise - to hold it in place and seal against the malt pipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/3...mp-tubing.html

Thoughts? Is there a better solution?
Good idea, many in Australia use a similar idea, rubber seal edge. However, it can be a very tight fit so the grill is not able to move in the pipe up and down with the wort/pump.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #1516
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My Braumeister Brothers (all of you are men as far as I know):

I've got some great results to report. This is my 5th or 6th brew on the braumeister 50L, and they've all been fantastic 10 gallon batches. I've had so much fun splitting the beer and pitching different yeasts. I've made a pilsner and a saison out of the same batch, and both have been phenomenal (yet very different for obvious reasons). If you need ideas for recipes you could split a 10 gallon batch to make, I'm your man.

I've also played with a couple of tweaks and mods, trying to improve my efficiency. The single biggest factor that has improved my BREWHOUSE efficiency, is learning how to minimize waste/trub. My first brew, I left behind 3+ gallons of wort/trub and that was no good. Next, I soldered together a copper diptube, and also made some copper elbows for the dual pumps to see if I could create a nice whirlpool in the middle of the kettle during cooldown, and concentrate the trub in a cone in the middle. To strengthen the current of the whirlpool, I even purchased a whirlpool chiller from morebeer. The results were not impressive at all. Trub was still widely distributed on the bottom of the kettle. This is probably partly due to it being virtually impossible to get a really good whirlpool going in the braumeister because the heating elements interfere with it.

I have found, however, that after I let the trub settle for about 20-30 minutes without running the pump, after I have gotten to about 18C or so, I can the first carboy (5 gallons) with virtually no trub. For the second carboy, I simply tip the braumeister slowly, and stick a small paint can underneath the back leg (opposite the valve). The braumeister looks as though it will tip over, but balances sturdily. I let it settle for another 15 minutes or so, and then pump out the remaining 5 gallons into the 2nd carboy (I also replaced the stock ball-valve with an american 3-piece stainless ballvalve with a quick disconnect for my external march pump). The high position of the drain inside the braumeister lends itself VERY well to this method, and I get almost no trub in my 2nd carboy, while leaving behind ONLY about 2.2 Liters of wort!

What helped me the most with my MASH efficiency was hitting my mash PH, and dialing in my crush coarseness.

I have to share one more finding, and I hope some of you will have the courage to try this: an overnight mash. This shaved about 4-5 hours off my brew day. The night before my brew day, I crushed my grain, adjusted my water (salts, phosphoric acid, etc.). I preheated my water while doing all this to 120F. Got all my grain in there, and waited about 15 minutes for it to hydrate. I mixed it real good with the mash paddle, then put the screen on, and started the cycle. I did my protein rest for about 20-30 minutes while doing other stuff. Next, I took the mash up to my sacchrification rest. I let that run for about 30 minutes or so on manual mode. Next, I shut off the pump (didn't want it running all night) but left the heat on at the sacchrification temperature setpoint. I closed the lid and went to sleep. Next morning, I ran the pump for another 30 minutes or so, and it was crystal clear converted. I proceeded with the rest of my brew day from there.

Feel free to ask me any questions about my setup. I'm looking forward to brewing some big belgians for this winter—so I'll be trying the double mash technique as well as simply boiling my wort down to a 5 gallon batch (I think this will go much quicker than most people think).

Brew Strong!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #1517
wasp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
Good idea, many in Australia use a similar idea, rubber seal edge. However, it can be a very tight fit so the grill is not able to move in the pipe up and down with the wort/pump.
Thanks DG I'm going to try this - just gotta find some thin-wall, food-safe, hi-temp plastic tube.

@Soviet:

What gap are you setting your grain crusher? I have found that conditioning the grain gives a far better crush - but I'm still experimenting with my BC for optimum settings for the Braumeister.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #1518
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Soviet: I concur your findings. I have been trying to work out the best way to cool wort quickly and get the benefits of a wirlepool. It sounds as if we had the same idea. Cool the wart in two ways and get a whirlpool going at the same time. I bought a second march pump and two 1/2 inch IC's thinking I could pump the wort out and through the 1/2 inch IC (placed in a bucket of ice water) and back into the kettle to create a whirlpool and cooing as well. Then using the second pump, to cool the wart, by pumping ice water through the second 1/2 inch IC in the kettle. The March pump has been a disappointment in that it is not a very strong pump. I believe there is a lot of surface tension created between the length of the hose and length of the ICs. It sounds as if you have tried my next idea of using the two pumps together to get the velocity needed for a decent whirlpool. As you say, this was disappointing as well. So now I have two March pumps and three IC’s (my original is a 3/8 inch) and two ½ inch by 50 ft. units. And I am no closer to my goal. As I see it, the only choice I have left is to use what I have and be satisfied. I will use the original 3/8 inch IC in a bucket of ice water re-circulating the wart through and back into the kettle for a cooling / weak whirlpool. And the two ½ inch IC’s together, one in a bucket of ice water and the other in the kettle using ground water.

This Saturday I will be brewing a DFH 90 minute IPA clone with a double mash as stated in an earlier post. I figure at the very least the cooling part will go very well as I know I have a bunch of cooling surface area.

Wasp: I am curious about the method of conditioning the grain with water before grinding. Would you please explain your technique?

Thanks to all

Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #1519
wasp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@ Redstag

Braukaiser.com has an excellent section dealing with Malt Conditioning:

http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...t_Conditioning

75-90ml (2.5-3.0oz) works well for 4 to 5kg (9-11lb) grist. I use a graduated spray bottle to fire maybe 5 shots of water onto the top of my grain in a pail and I use my hands to stir it in. I repeat until 75+ml (2.5+oz) has been sprayed. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Stir again and leave for a further 5 mins.

The grain should now feel "silkier" but it should not stick to your hands. Milling will now result in more-intact husks, and IMHO it results in better extraction and efficiency because it allows you to tighten the crush while maintaining "lauterability" - improving extraction/efficiency for us Braumeisterers. A handful of unconditioned grain could be held back to thoroughly dry the rollers if you are worried about rust forming on them.

I have a lot of experimenting to do with the settings on my BarleyCrusher for use in the Braumeister. The default 1mm/0.039" setting works well with a conditioned grain crush but 0.7mm/0.027" was too fine. I intend to work with settings from 0.8mm through 1.3mm (0.030" through 0.050").

What setting/gap works well for others? I sure would appreciate any input.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #1520
beradthefish
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default For sale soon

I figured I'd give a head's up to this thread first, I'll be selling my Braumeister seen below over in the classifieds. Will be posted in the very near future!

https://picasaweb.google.com/bradfor...y=Gv1sRgCJiJpP riguiE6gE&feat=directlink

edit: copypasta mistake

Quick Reply