Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #1501
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
Thanks Obliviousbrew,
I have the 5gallon malt pipe.
Fallowing your addvise, I will put a little less than max grain in for a 5g batch, mash in, mash, then remove the 5g mp, place the 10g mp in with the rest of the grain.
Top up with cold water then mash in, mash and mash out. As for SRM, as long as the flavor is there I won't mind a darker beer. There are many black IPA's being brewed these days. The next trick will be fermenting this bad boy and being patient with the conditioning phase.
All part of the game...... If you have any more thoughts, please post.
Oh I had another idea, I could do 3 complete five gallon batches with a third of the grain each time, add them together and boil them down.......Just kidding.
Thanks for your help.
I´m hoping this turns ok never tried it yet... you are a brave man.
Let us know how it went.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #1502
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone tried an overnight mash or setting their braumeister to mash-in temperature the night before? I suspect running the pumps all night wouldn't be well-advised, but perhaps setting the target temp might be ok?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #1503
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i certainly haven't. the 20L doesn't take very long to get up to temp; less than 40 minutes to get my chilly tap water to a reasonable mash temp say 65, is the 50L so sluggish? for me there is plenty of stuff to be done while it's heating strike water

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #1504
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
i certainly haven't. the 20L doesn't take very long to get up to temp; less than 40 minutes to get my chilly tap water to a reasonable mash temp say 65, is the 50L so sluggish? for me there is plenty of stuff to be done while it's heating strike water
I have the 50 and it doesnt take very long, while is heating I crush my grain, clean, organize etc etc

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #1505
xraptorx
Recipes 

Hello Guys,

I am living in Switzerland and thinking of buying the Braumeister to start to brew my own beer. I have a couple of questions to help me determine which would be the right one to buy.

1. Is there a significant size difference between the 20l and 50l?
2. where do you typically wash the Braumiester? in kitchen sink or in Bathtub? Does it scratch the bathtub enamel?
3. Do you need a winch or leverage to operate and pull out the pipes in the 20 and 50l or can I easily to a brew on the balcony of my apartment?
4. I would probably prefer to brew 20-30l most of the time. Is there any advantage to going with a 50l to brew 20l of beer? Can I do beers in a 50l that would not be possible in a 20l?
5. As I will very likely need to do the brewing on the balcony, does anyone else have experience brewing outdoors in the winter? Would it work? I am afraid the wife will not like it in the kitchen, but the bathroom could be an alternative - praying

Anything else that clearly helps make a decision between the 20l and 50l - besides costs?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1506
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

chiming in as a happy owner of a 20L
1. 30 L difference! sorry- couldn't resist. don't know
2. i wash in the kitchen, i can tip it into the kitchen sink, i have a hose on the tap and spray it out after an oxyclean soak and a bit of a scrub. cleans remarkably easily but you need to fuss over the heating element a bit, and i blow out the pump with a hose. as you will see described earlier in this long thread the feet are raw cut steel and could scratch the enamel (or cut your hands). but you could duct tape the hell out of them or rubber coat them somehow and you'd be grand.
3. with the 20L, you don't need anything. you should pull the pipe up slowly so that it starts to drain as you lift it, then you aren't lifting as much weight. easier with two people but practical enough for one.
4. dunno but you can certainly brew more than 20L in the 20 if you get pretty good efficiency. for medium sized beers < 1.060 25L is easily done. yesterday i did 23 liters post-boil of 1.068 and there was room to spare in the malt tube.
5. i have used mine outdoors in summer only. buy or make an insulating jacket, as long as you have the capacity to cool wort and the power to run the machine and it's not raining on the electronics i don't see why not. you really don't need a lot of space, when i'm indoors i use it in the kitchen in a corner, on a little folding work bench. crack the window to let out steam, no problems.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #1507
sj_engr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i swear i'm not usually this stupid, but yesterday i did something very stupid! stone sober, as well. i had a very precise schedule, planned it so that i would mash, sparge and let the thing drain while i had to rush out to be somewhere else. grains ground the day before, got my strike water to temp, doughed in and mixed everything very well, was just reaching for the top screen and plate when i happened to notice that there were two (2) plates and two (2!) screens on the table. idiot filled the malt tube with no bottom. let out a string of curse words, paused the machine, drained the water to the fermenter, scooped out the malt with a coffee cup to a kettle. cleaned everything quickly, flushed the pump, reassembled. correctly this time. made a giant mess but somehow only lost about 10 minutes and surprisingly little grain. the malt got an extra ten minutes at strike temp of mid 50's, we'll call it a protein rest. hit all my numbers, actually came out 3 points above target. felt pretty stupid. made it to my appointment on time.
I've done that also. Good to hear you were able to recover also. Just takes some extra time to clean out the grains and restart.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #1508
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

@xraptorx about your questions from a very happy 50l user.
1- Well the 50 l it´s a 25 kilos piece of equipment, but for it capabliities a very compact and easy to handle equipment of course you can beat the small footprint of the 20L unit.
2- I wash in the bathroom, I don´t put the unit in the bathtub (it barely fits in mine anyway) I just take the showerhead and clean it inside with a soft sponge rinse it and dump the dirty water in the bathtub and repeat as necessary. As dinnerstick said both the 20l and the 50l have sharp edges of stell (only in the legs actually) and they can scratch you enamel.
3. It depends how strong you are whit the short malt pipe no problem at all, the big malt tube its heavier but managable, I mostly brew 6 gallon batches (and I brew every week and two times a week if I have the time) if I started to make all 12 gallon batches I´ll make a pulley or something for it. Brewing outside: did it only once and I prefer indoors, the unit is very silent and I have an spare room for it.
4- You can make make the same beers on the two systems, the 50l has two pumps and the heating element is twice the size of the 20l that gives you more power for recirculation when brewing batches with the short malt pipe, but I´m not sure is there is any difference in the performance of both units.
5- I mostly brew indoors and here its very warm most of the time so very little help with that.

If you live in an apartment with no spare room or guest room that you can use like your "brewing shelter" I would go for the 20l don´t be afraid of not been able to brew bigger beers with the 20l I´m sure and certain that it´s possible.
But as I said I´m a happy 50l user so my choice was the 50l even knowing that I would not brew 12 gallon batches very often.

And I´m sure that when your wife see that the braumesiter is a silent machine and the smell of malts and hops it´s great she will not oppose to you brewing in the kitchen.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #1509
DeGarre
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
...both the 20l and the 50l have sharp edges of stell (only in the legs actually) and they can scratch you enamel...
I am looking to attach rubber seal edges to the legs.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #1510
wasp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I’m now a paid-up member of the Braumeister club – I took my 20L for the maiden voyage on a Wheat Beer earlier today. What a relaxed brew-session.

I conditioned 4.72kg of grain with about 80-90ml of water and let it sit for 10-15 mins before I put it through my BarleyCrusher on the 1mm (0.039”) default setting. Some grains did not split open, so next time I’m going to set the rollers a little closer. Maybe a Bohemian Pilsner (Urquel wannabe) will be my second brew later this week.

Can’t complain though – Beersmith is showing my mash efficiency at 84.9%. Not too shabby for a first run.

Quick Reply