Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #1491
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i swear i'm not usually this stupid, but yesterday i did something very stupid! stone sober, as well. i had a very precise schedule, planned it so that i would mash, sparge and let the thing drain while i had to rush out to be somewhere else. grains ground the day before, got my strike water to temp, doughed in and mixed everything very well, was just reaching for the top screen and plate when i happened to notice that there were two (2) plates and two (2!) screens on the table. idiot filled the malt tube with no bottom. let out a string of curse words, paused the machine, drained the water to the fermenter, scooped out the malt with a coffee cup to a kettle. cleaned everything quickly, flushed the pump, reassembled. correctly this time. made a giant mess but somehow only lost about 10 minutes and surprisingly little grain. the malt got an extra ten minutes at strike temp of mid 50's, we'll call it a protein rest. hit all my numbers, actually came out 3 points above target. felt pretty stupid. made it to my appointment on time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #1492
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
i swear i'm not usually this stupid, but yesterday i did something very stupid! stone sober, as well. i had a very precise schedule, planned it so that i would mash, sparge and let the thing drain while i had to rush out to be somewhere else. grains ground the day before, got my strike water to temp, doughed in and mixed everything very well, was just reaching for the top screen and plate when i happened to notice that there were two (2) plates and two (2!) screens on the table. idiot filled the malt tube with no bottom. let out a string of curse words, paused the machine, drained the water to the fermenter, scooped out the malt with a coffee cup to a kettle. cleaned everything quickly, flushed the pump, reassembled. correctly this time. made a giant mess but somehow only lost about 10 minutes and surprisingly little grain. the malt got an extra ten minutes at strike temp of mid 50's, we'll call it a protein rest. hit all my numbers, actually came out 3 points above target. felt pretty stupid. made it to my appointment on time.
Well, s#@t happens good thing that was no biggy... and even better that you were 3 points above target that only means better effiency!!!!

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #1493
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Progress Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
For water adjustment I´m only using 5.2 Ph stabilizer now. Water volume I´m not very sure cause this last time I´ve used water from a natural fountain near by and I boil it the day before to reduce temporal hardness and to kill any possible bug there. I will say 30 liters plus 6 more for sparging but in this case it´s only an estimate. About the grinding of the grain I´ve used a just calibrated barley crusher at 1.15 milimiters (0.046 inches i think) I took a few pictures of the crush/grist here you go: (6.3 kilos of grain)
Oblivious brew, thanks so much for the photos and your answer. Here's a little update on what I've done. My last brew day I brewed a witbeir, and came out with 64% mash efficiency, 61.5 brewhouse efficiency—a small improvement, but still quite a bit lower than I'd like.

I have crushed the grain finer than I have (finer than Oblivious brew's crush) before, and this might account for the modest increase in efficiency. Some of that increase might have been offset by the fact that I brewed with about 9 lbs of flaked wheat (which I had to stir a few times during the mash cycle).

It turns out that although my city water is ~7.1 PH, it must have quite the buffer power. It took me like 15 tablespoons of phosphoric acid 10% solution to get the PH down to 5.5 or so during the mash. Without any adjustment, my mash PH works out to about 6.3 or so.

On the plus side, adding a diptube has really increased my overall SYTEM efficiency from a dismal 50% to like 62% since I'm not dumping 3.5 gallons of wort mixed with trub. Still dialing it in, guys. Next brew day (this weekend) I'm going to try to do it with 100% RO water and adjust the brewing water to about 5.5-5.75 before I mash in. I'll add the appropriate salts and give it a go. Never brewed with 100% RO water before, so this should be interesting.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #1494
brian320fo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm trying to get a handle on the rest periods. In Palmer's book, when talking about step mashing, he uses only a single rest for Saccharification, compromising at 153*F. Using a lower temperature would favor the Beta rest resulting in a lighter, drier beer. A higher temp would favor the alpha rest resulting in a heavier, sweeter beer. But when using separate beta and alpha rests on the BM, how do we adjust the schedule to reach a thinner, drier beer or a heavier, sweeter beer? Do we change the temperatures for each rest or the amount of time in each rest or both?

BTW, just got this machine a couple of months ago and love it. This combined with beersmith really makes life easy.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1495
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

@Soviet you´ll get there in efficiency its only a matter of time
@brian230fo to your question: change both, I use celcius so you´ll have to do the conversion i mash for aprox one hour for sacarif it can be less than that. It depends on what you are brewing and what do you want. For drier, thin, very fermentable wort a rest for almost one hour between 60 and 63 celcius and the get it up to 68-70 for ten minutes or so. For less fermentable wort you can do 30 minutes on each step and a mash out at 76-78 celsius. Or you can do just a single step @ 65-67 celsius and forget about it. Is really up to you

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #1496
Soviet
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
@Soviet you´ll get there in efficiency its only a matter of time
@brian230fo to your question: change both, I use celcius so you´ll have to do the conversion i mash for aprox one hour for sacarif it can be less than that. It depends on what you are brewing and what do you want. For drier, thin, very fermentable wort a rest for almost one hour between 60 and 63 celcius and the get it up to 68-70 for ten minutes or so. For less fermentable wort you can do 30 minutes on each step and a mash out at 76-78 celsius. Or you can do just a single step @ 65-67 celsius and forget about it. Is really up to you
Just a little progress report—I brewed yesterday (1/2 alt, 1/2 oktoberfest) and my measured mash efficiency was 79%! Total efficiency was about 69%. I think the RO water + phosphoric acid definitely improved my results (though we'll have to see if I got the salts right) about 5% or so. I was also surprised how easy it was to adjust the PH on a 10 gallon batch. I would have to dump like 15+ tablespoons of phosphoric acid into my city water to get it in the right range. RO water can handle like 1 tablespoon.

A question for my fellow Braumeister users: Has anyone tried to do an overnight mash with the system? Else, does anyone to set their braumesiter to the target mash-in temp the night before? My brew day is still taking me like 8 hours with cleaning... GRRRRR.

-Alex

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #1497
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry for the off topic....But I have a Question that may intrigue. Has anyone brewed a High Gravity beer such as a DFH 90min IPA clone... OG 1.085, on a 50L?
The grain bill is a big one, 34.5 Pounds for a 11 Gallon batch.
The info I have from post # 236: Http://www.suebob.com/images/brew/mlt/mltsizetable.gif
Shows that 13 gallons of water @ 1.25qt/lb has a max grain capacity of 31.2lb. 13 gallons of water is exactly 1cm from the top fill mark on the 50L.
If I add more water (57qt) splitting the difference between 13g(52qt) and 15.5g(62qt) I will have the water needed for the total grain bill.
BUTTT, I believe I will be putting a strain on the pumps and/or maxing out the capacity of the malt pipe/system.
So, I was thinking of splitting up the grain and mashing twice with half the grain each time. I really don't want to cut back on the grain bill and add DME to get to the OG
Any foreseeable problems? Off flavors? Besides being a pain in the backside to brew...
Thanks in advance

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #1498
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Just a little progress report—I brewed yesterday (1/2 alt, 1/2 oktoberfest) and my measured mash efficiency was 79%! Total efficiency was about 69%. I think the RO water + phosphoric acid definitely improved my results (though we'll have to see if I got the salts right) about 5% or so. I was also surprised how easy it was to adjust the PH on a 10 gallon batch. I would have to dump like 15+ tablespoons of phosphoric acid into my city water to get it in the right range. RO water can handle like 1 tablespoon.

A question for my fellow Braumeister users: Has anyone tried to do an overnight mash with the system? Else, does anyone to set their braumesiter to the target mash-in temp the night before? My brew day is still taking me like 8 hours with cleaning... GRRRRR.

-Alex
69% brewhouse it´s very decent and 79% mash eff it´s great! My brewday started lasting about 8 hs it´s now down to six but with the braumeister are six hours of not very hard work so it´s fine. Find a brewbuddy that helps you with the cleaning, I got a friend of mine that works only to get free beer

Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #1499
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
Sorry for the off topic....But I have a Question that may intrigue. Has anyone brewed a High Gravity beer such as a DFH 90min IPA clone... OG 1.085, on a 50L?
The grain bill is a big one, 34.5 Pounds for a 11 Gallon batch.
The info I have from post # 236: Http://www.suebob.com/images/brew/mlt/mltsizetable.gif
Shows that 13 gallons of water @ 1.25qt/lb has a max grain capacity of 31.2lb. 13 gallons of water is exactly 1cm from the top fill mark on the 50L.
If I add more water (57qt) splitting the difference between 13g(52qt) and 15.5g(62qt) I will have the water needed for the total grain bill.
BUTTT, I believe I will be putting a strain on the pumps and/or maxing out the capacity of the malt pipe/system.
So, I was thinking of splitting up the grain and mashing twice with half the grain each time. I really don't want to cut back on the grain bill and add DME to get to the OG
Any foreseeable problems? Off flavors? Besides being a pain in the backside to brew...
Thanks in advance
I know this is a very long thread but if I remember correctly some people have tried this and it was discuss... I didn´t do a double mash yet but the only problem that I can think it´s been harder to get to your desire SRM colour, with a longer mash it will be a little darker and also your mash in temp. If you do a mash out at 76 cº and then remove the malt pipe and fill it with new grain you´ll have to cool down your wort. If you dough in at that temp (76 Cº)enzymes will be denatured and your efficiency will be hurt. Use the smallest amount of water first and don´t do a mash out, remove the grain, top up with cold water to hit your desire dough in temp and mash again the new grain. I wouldn´t expect a good eff with this but I think you can get a wort of 1.100+.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #1500
Redstag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Obliviousbrew,
I have the 5gallon malt pipe.
Fallowing your addvise, I will put a little less than max grain in for a 5g batch, mash in, mash, then remove the 5g mp, place the 10g mp in with the rest of the grain.
Top up with cold water then mash in, mash and mash out. As for SRM, as long as the flavor is there I won't mind a darker beer. There are many black IPA's being brewed these days. The next trick will be fermenting this bad boy and being patient with the conditioning phase.
All part of the game...... If you have any more thoughts, please post.
Oh I had another idea, I could do 3 complete five gallon batches with a third of the grain each time, add them together and boil them down.......Just kidding.
Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply