Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #141
beefeater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to see you guys are up and running!
How were your efficiencies?

I have noticed that while cooling the temperature reading aren't very accurate compared to what I measure on the surface. I think the trub settles on the sensor and insulate it.

Running the pump while cooling will speed things up but I haven't been doing that because then the settled hops and trub will be put back in suspension and I'll have to wait again for that to settle.

I just clean the elements as good as I can with a brush, keeps them ok but difficult to get to the "back" where they're close to the kettle.
I'll also put the hose from the chiller into the pump holes a couple times each direction and blow out everything inside with water.
Every five brew or so I've been giving it a more thorough cleaning with some acid to keep things nice and shiny. Then I'll also pull the pump and clean the rotor inside.

One advice; don't use leaf hops directly in the kettle, they will clog the pump and you will have to pull it after each brew and won't be able torun it during chilling! Pellets is no problem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #142
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My efficiency today was 84%. I was pleasantly surprised! I am trying to edit my video at the moment but one thing I did was recirculate the wort after raising the malt pipe. I did this by simply running a vorlauf from the spigot and pouring it back into the top of the malt pipe. I left the screen and filter in place. I probably did about 2 gallons a quart or 2 at the time.

My temps were pretty much dead on between what the computer was displaying and what I was checking at the top.

I flipped the unit over and unscrewed the pump heads and cleaned that out as well.

My only challenge was the bottom filter not seating all the way. I was curious about that as you have 14 gallons of hot water in the kettle when you add the malt pipe and then the screen and then the filter....which floats on the top (which you will see if I can ever get my video loaded). I also have video of the placement of the bottom filter after I dug the spent grains out. I NEED ONE OF THOSE SCREEN FILTERS!!!

All in all I had a BLAST brewing on this unit and even though I had an almost 8 hour brew day I am very relaxed and not spent. If this thing holds up this way every brew, it was WELL worth the money....to me.

I did use my dip tube and it worked great!! My hops clogged it up at the end and I only ended up with about 9 1/2 gallons of wort in the buckets. even though, for not adding any additional water I was excited about that because running regular water I only leave 1/2 quart behind. With the hops (6 ounces) I left over a gallon behind.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #143
Yambor44

Recipes 

Here's the recipe I made:

Robs Haus Pale Ale #77
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Rob
Date: 4/17/11

Size: 11.0 gal
Efficiency: 84.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 196.03 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.059 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 11.16 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.79% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 35.7 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
20.0 lb Canadian Craft Brewers Pale Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
1.0 lb Honey Malt
2.0 oz Cascade (5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.85 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.25 oz Cascade (5.4%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

Notes
First session on the BrewMaster!

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.15

Old 04-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #144
beefeater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
My only challenge was the bottom filter not seating all the way. I was curious about that as you have 14 gallons of hot water in the kettle when you add the malt pipe and then the screen and then the filter....which floats on the top (which you will see if I can ever get my video loaded). I also have video of the placement of the bottom filter after I dug the spent grains out. I NEED ONE OF THOSE SCREEN FILTERS!!!
If you got the cloth filters with a recent production unit that's probably what's available for that size at the moment. I have never seen screen filters for any size Speidel described or for sale anywhere before they showed up in this discussion so it must be a very recent upgrade. A lot of users here in Norway have been wishing for them to make stainless screen filtes after experiencing the same thing as you did today with the cloth filters.
I've been stitching the bottom filter to the bottom screen with small pieces of steel string/wire before inserting both at the same time into the malt pipe. Others have been using alength of stainless chain around the edge to weight it down.

Congratulations on a successful brew!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #145
Yambor44

Recipes 

Here's "part" of the brew day....

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #146
Yambor44

Recipes 

Part II....

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #147
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

looking forward to the other parts

Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #148
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just a thought, but here is my plan for the Malt Pipe Filter issue. Maybe forgo the cloth filters altogether and just use a Swiss Voile bag like the BIAB folks do. I use one currently for BIAB and it works great, just put in your false bottom, add your grain bag with all the grain and tie the top closed, then add the false top. The grain should float pretty freely in the malt pipe at that point. If the center post ends up being an issue you could always fashion the bag with that in mind.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #149
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cool video, I like the way you say guuh-loves.

_

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #150
Yambor44

Recipes 

Part III....

Quick Reply