Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #1481
Soviet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Well just filled my fermeter with 20.5 l of wort (about 5.5 gal) OG 1070 didn´t hit my limit but close enough and I end up with 1 liter more than what i expected. Mash efficiency was around 87% brewhouse efficency was lower due to the absorption of hops (this is a hoppy IPA) 76% measured. I think that maybe I can fit half a kilo more or so in the malt pipe. A little tired now time to clean up!! See ya!!!
Oblivious brew, what was your total grain weight and initial water volume on this brew? Also, how fine/coarse are you grinding your grain? Finally, are you adjusting your mash PH? Do you use RO water or tap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #1482
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Just checked the temps the set temp was 62 C on the top of the malt tube was 61.7 and in the bottom 62 C. I´m using the short malt pipe with 6.30 kilos there was room for maybe one more pound but 6.30 kilos seemed enough for me.
excellent.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #1483
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Oblivious brew, what was your total grain weight and initial water volume on this brew? Also, how fine/coarse are you grinding your grain? Finally, are you adjusting your mash PH? Do you use RO water or tap?
For water adjustment I´m only using 5.2 Ph stabilizer now. Water volume I´m not very sure cause this last time I´ve used water from a natural fountain near by and I boil it the day before to reduce temporal hardness and to kill any possible bug there. I will say 30 liters plus 6 more for sparging but in this case it´s only an estimate. About the grinding of the grain I´ve used a just calibrated barley crusher at 1.15 milimiters (0.046 inches i think) I took a few pictures of the crush/grist here you go: (6.3 kilos of grain)
img_20120522_154650.jpg   img_20120522_154713.jpg  

Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #1484
becks41
Recipes 

You mean that little black O-ring in the barley crusher that comes with it when you first buy it broke? I took that thing off immediately, it doesn't serve any purpose that I could see other than to get chewed up while you're milling. That crush looks good, and it sounds like you got some better efficiency than I've been able to get so far, what mash schedule are you using?

The Reinheitsgebot destroyed German beer culture now it needs to be rebuilt!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #1485
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks41 View Post
You mean that little black O-ring in the barley crusher that comes with it when you first buy it broke? I took that thing off immediately, it doesn't serve any purpose that I could see other than to get chewed up while you're milling. That crush looks good, and it sounds like you got some better efficiency than I've been able to get so far, what mash schedule are you using?
Yup that little black O-ring almost f...ed my brew day. It broke on my very first use but was still there... six batches after the mill was working fine but last time I noticed that my grain wasn´t crush at all so I inspect my BC and found that one of the rollers wasn´t turning. I look some threads about it and found that that was that little crappy o-ring fault it supossed to make the passive roller turn... so long story short I had to run to the hardware store get a new one, comeback and take the unit apart and put the new one on and of course recalibrate the gap of my BC. With the o-ring on no problem at all
About the mash schedule (I know that a lot of you guys don´t do a protein rest and only single infusion for pale malt but I don´t) I mashed ín at 50 C, protein rest at 55C for 10 minutes, then two sac one at 62C for 40minutes and one at 71 for 25 minutes (I think 15 with the second sac rest will be enough anyway)

Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #1486
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Hey I like your signature becks41 "The Reinheitsgebot destroyed German beer culture now it needs to be rebuilt!" It´s really odd to see anybody in Germany with those toughts. Brew on!

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #1487
rnarzisi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Reinheitsgebot is 500+ years old, it is German beer culture.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1488
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Double post deleted

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #1489
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarzisi View Post
Reinheitsgebot is 500+ years old, it is German beer culture.
This is way off-topic but anyway:

Well actually Reinheitsgebot it´s from 1516 so is less than 500 years old (now don´t argue that it was form 1487 I don´t buy that)...so forget about the +... also if we are going to be strict the purity law didn´t mentioned yeast and also if you think about that William IV had the barley monopoly in Baviera when the law was written it makes you think. It is not my desire to hurt anyones sensibility but the Reinheitsgebot also "kill" a lot of traditional recipes that used something else than barley. I have drink lots of beer made under the purity law some are great and some other are just a pice of crap... so no law it´s going to make you brew better beer. Thank good that with the UE things changed in the way of making beer in Germany... just my 0.02

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #1490
becks41
Recipes 

yeah off topic a bit, but to be clear, I'm not German, I just live in Germany. The Germans make great beer, but lack any creativity, it is often times very hard to distinguish a difference between their beers (eg. most Helles taste quite similar), and it's their lack of ingenuity that is hurting their beer sales here. There is an interesting article here - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41872277.../#.T13C_IcS29U

That said, I'm about to keg my pale ale and move my ipa to the secondary for dry hopping, next brew with the Braumeister might be next weekend and I'll check out changing my mash schedule around a bit and let you all know how it goes. Maybe one of these days I won't be too hungover to take pictures.

Cheers!

The Reinheitsgebot destroyed German beer culture now it needs to be rebuilt!

Quick Reply