New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #1401
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy
My first pull from my first beer brewed on the braumeister, "Pedal Time" a alpine spring clone
Nice!

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #1402
Village_idiot
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello everybody,
I'm new to this board and I just wanted to share a few of my experiences with you all. I've had my 20l BM for a about 5 months now with about 25 or so batches under my belt, and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I've forgotten just about everything there is to forget on this thing, I forgot the rubber gasket once which caused the pump to struggle, beer was aborted, I forgot the bottom filter once, the pump became clogged, beer was aborted, and I didn't press the quit button after mash was through once, the pump was still running so a lot of grain ended up in the wort, this was salvageable and the beer turned out great... (I should probably just stick to beer on brew day). I've had one fountain experience which I blame on Northern Brewer, I let them crush my grain and it was absolutely pulverized. As for reliability, I had to replace the stock valve with some brass fittings from Lowe's because the Teflon grommet twisted around to where it was almost completely sealed off, I took it apart and reseated it once but it failed the next brew. I'm currently having an issue with my temperature probe, it's reading anywhere from accurate to about 20 degrees C low. This ruined a batch of beer due to my mash temp being way to high before I noticed it. I emailed Speidel about 2 weeks ago with no response yet. I called morebeer about 1.5 weeks ago and they said they would try to contact speidel, no word back from them yet. So my last batch I did everything manually, which really makes me appreciate how great this setup is when it's working properly. I searched the boards and haven't found anyone that's having the same issue, the morebeer rep has advised me not to try and troubleshoot it myself or it might void the warranty. So anyway, I have plenty of beer to drink for now and I can't wait for summer so I take this puppy outside and get my wife off of my case. Cheers!

Last edited by Village_idiot; 04-17-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #1403
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome VI. If I were you I would call my place of purchase everyday until you get an answer. These units are still fairly new and with the gap of the ocean and language barrier for some if not most it could be forgotten. You invested a good chunk of coin in this unit and it should run like so.

Wow! 25 batches in 5 months is impressive!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #1404
Village_idiot
Recipes 

In my current job I do a lot of sitting on my arse, but I have lot's of time off as well. So one of the benefits of brewing more is I burn calories, since I'm always doing something like kegging, bottling, cleaning, testing, I can drink beer but my gut stays neutral. I will use just about anything for a fermentor if I can get it sanitized, my old polarware pots work well, so no problem with multiple batches going at once.

I'll prob give morebeer a call tomorrow, I am starting to get a little peeved.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #1405
becks41
Recipes 

Sorry, I didn't take pics on the first batch, will do it this weekend when we brew again. Does anyone have advice on the crushing the grain? I used my Corona Mill and adjusted it to be fairly coarse as suggested but the efficiency went down to around 65% on 11kg of grain - I double mashed so one mash with 5.5 kg grain then a second mash of 5,5 kg of grain. I was expecting a bit better efficiency given the second mash and from what I've been reading on the forum. In the end I needed to add a fair amount of DME to get the target OG to where it needed to be.

Any advice here is appreciated.

Cheers

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1406
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sounds to me like you need to set the crush a bit tighter on your Corona. I had pretty bad efficiency when I started using it, and had to crank it down to the point where I was scared, then I started hitting all my numbers. Of course, I don't use a Braumeister, so YMMV.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #1407
becks41
Recipes 

Yeah, in my ice chest mashing system I was able to hit some pretty decent numbers with a fairly fine grind - no problem there, never a stuck mash or sparge. But on the Braumeister I've read that it doesn't handle the finer grinds very well, I'm sure there is a balance in there somewhere. We're brewing again this Saturday so I'll take some pics of the grind and see what everyone thinks.

Cheers

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #1408
becks41
Recipes 

Redstag/Village Idiot

I do live in Munich, originally from California. I actually travel out to Stuttgart on a regular basis for work, and if you look that up on the map you'll see its fairly close to where Speidel produces their lovely Braumeisters - though I have yet to stop by and I'm not really sure if you even can.

If you send me the details about what you've done, who you've contacted, etc I can try to give them a call for you and help move the process along a bit or try to find out why it's taking so long. Just send me a PM and I'll give it a shot, its easy enough to give them a call and ask.

Cheers

The Reinheitsgebot destroyed German beer culture now it needs to be rebuilt!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #1409
Village_idiot
Recipes 

How do you delete a message?

Last edited by Village_idiot; 04-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #1410
Getafix
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks41 View Post
Does anyone have advice on the crushing the grain? I used my Corona Mill and adjusted it to be fairly coarse as suggested but the efficiency went down to around 65% on 11kg of grain.
I use a Corona Mill from my batch sparge days. I brew mostly beers that are 60-70% malted wheat or have upto 50% raw grains. Tightening down the mill and then some (lots of flour) worked well for batch sparging. For the Braumeister system less flour works better. Grinding less coarsely without too much flour is possible with the Corona mill, it just can't be dialed in like with other mills.
My efficiency is 70-72%, for beers that have high proportions of wheat, and or raw grains with OG's of 1.050-60.

A few of things:
Conditioning (lightly moistening) the grains prior to crushing helps keeps husks and such intact while being more gentle on the grain.

Crush physically different grains separately, and or double crush.
When I double crush the first crush is manually cranked and the second crush is motorized.

While crushing check the results often and tweak the mill gap.

Grind less coarsely with little flour.
-

I have on occasion crushed too fine and got lots of flour, the Braumeister pulled through with some pauses and stirs. Circulation was definetly reduced so naturally the efficiency suffered. I now give alot more attention to crush quality.

Quick Reply