Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sparge flow rate control.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sparge flow rate control.

I'm rehabing my single tier 3 keg system. I'd like input on sparge control (fly sparge). Should I use a grant and pump from there, or use valve for control and pump directly into boil kettle. Direct seems best for recirculation but a grant seems better for run off control. Currently I switch between the two ,but it's a PITA.
I am also going to use quick disconnects. I guess you are all using free flow (no check valve)?
Thanks in Advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think most people use a pump and throttle the output with a valve. If your boil keg is at the same level, I suppose you'd need 2 pumps.
Most people are using free flow QD's, either brass ones from mc master or SS tri clovers from swagman or brewers hardware. Poppets would restrict flow.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I gravity feed from MLT to BK and use a ball valve to adjust flow. I use a pump to move sparge water from HLT to MLT and again adjust flow with another ball valve.

It is a little bit of a dance getting them even and then just adjust as necessary. I sure would like to have some kind of a flow meter!

Quick Reply