Spare Bedroom Equipment Tomfoolery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_State

Reaction score
After a very precise and clear title like that, I don't think there is any need for further explanation.

But for those of you who don't get what this thread is about, here it is:

I am storing on my equipment in/around a table in a spare bedroom. What have you done to make the storage of your equipment look better in your home? I am thinking a large cabinet, but I am interested in what the rest of you are doing with your equipment.

After a very precise and clear title like that, I don't think there is any need for further explanation.

But for those of you who don't get what this thread is about, here it is:

I am storing on my equipment in/around a table in a spare bedroom. What have you done to make the storage of your equipment look better in your home? I am thinking a large cabinet, but I am interested in what the rest of you are doing with your equipment.

I leave my equipment setup in the spare bedroom since I brew there with electric... my "brew room" kind of resembles a laboratory at this point so I just keep the door closed when not in use... But judging by your "clear and precise" comment I get the feeling you are a very structured and organized person and this wouldn't fly in your home.

Many people create "brewcarts" to wheel their homebrewing equipment in and out of storage and enable them to be neatly tucked away. I have even seen some people mount the equipment to the cart or buckets for easy organized storage. A wardrobe closet or large pantry may also work well.

I keep all my gear in the unfinished portion of my basement. I've built shelving and such to maximize storage, but I wouldn't say it looks particularly refined. It is, however, quite functional, and out of sight of visitors.

How often do you have visitors walking through your spare bedroom?

I have a dedicated area in the basement where my brew tree and some shelving is where everything is kept. Its out of the way, its "my space" so to speak so I can organize it the way I want, and I don't have to deal with setup/breakdown every time I brew.

I have that metal shelving from any big box hardware store. Almost all of my equipment fits on that.

But it's pretty tucked away to begin with, a little offshoot of the utility room.

10292339_10152755698641705_2894598954350904133_n.jpg

It's a little cramped, but keeps the wife happy.

Is the spare bedroom ever used by guests or does it have another use at all? If not, I would say open shelving as I think it can be cheaper, slightly. If you do have guests from time to time, look for a large TV armoire or TV entertainment center and see if that can fit your stuff. I would put buckets and carboys where the TV would go and use the drawers for small storage.

I just organized my home brewery equipment into wall shelving and cabinets in the garage and just got my garage back. It feels good to be finally organized.

If I were you I would invest in both strong shelving (costco/home depot/lowes) and a cabinet (Ikea of course) to keep the dust off things you don't want to have to clean again.

I leave my equipment setup in the spare bedroom since I brew there with electric... my "brew room" kind of resembles a laboratory at this point so I just keep the door closed when not in use... But judging by your "clear and precise" comment I get the feeling you are a very structured and organized person and this wouldn't fly in your home.

Many people create "brewcarts" to wheel their homebrewing equipment in and out of storage and enable them to be neatly tucked away. I have even seen some people mount the equipment to the cart or buckets for easy organized storage. A wardrobe closet or large pantry may also work well.

I was going heavy on the sarcasm. Oh well...I like the brewcart idea.

I have that metal shelving from any big box hardware store. Almost all of my equipment fits on that.

But it's pretty tucked away to begin with, a little offshoot of the utility room.

View attachment 260815

It's a little cramped, but keeps the wife happy.

I think this is exactly what I am going for. All about keeping the beautiful lady of the house happy...that is my goal too.

Is the spare bedroom ever used by guests or does it have another use at all? If not, I would say open shelving as I think it can be cheaper, slightly. If you do have guests from time to time, look for a large TV armoire or TV entertainment center and see if that can fit your stuff. I would put buckets and carboys where the TV would go and use the drawers for small storage.

The room is the dog's bedroom (large 120 lbs guard dog). He has his futon in there on the other side of the room. The room is getting cramped, but I could get away with shelving.

I think this is exactly what I am going for. All about keeping the beautiful lady of the house happy...that is my goal too.

Wife's bitchin about it, huh?

All my stuff is in the garage where I use it. Luckily I have a 2 stall garage I use for brewing and a 3 stall garage for keeping the cars in.

Wife's bitchin about it, huh?

All my stuff is in the garage where I use it. Luckily I have a 2 stall garage I use for brewing and a 3 stall garage for keeping the cars in.

Not yet, but the goal is not to get there.

My lovely wife gave me a spare hall closet, which is now the brew closet. I put in shelves and tried to get every usable bit of vertical space. Somehow almost all the stuff I need fits including my kettles and control panel, whatever equipment I don't use anymore goes to the shed for storage.

Back