Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Space Heaters and Fermentation Chambers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Space Heaters and Fermentation Chambers

With winter nearly here, I need to find a way to heat my ferm chamber. I'm using a 17-cubic foot upright freezer and a Johnson A419.

I've been eyeing the Lasko MyHeat Personal Heater as it pulls only 200 watts. I'd use this along with a fan to circulate air in the chamber.

I see a few here use this heater ... has anyone had a problem with this unit? Does this put out enough heat to maintain fermentation temps? Also, does anyone know if this unit has an auto-off function (I'd like to avoid having to re-wire the unit)?

I searched around, but didn't see much feedback on this heater, other than some people use it. Any advice/recommendations/regrets?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just got that exact same heater last night at Walmart for $11. I picked it up as a backup for my ceramic reptile heater in case I need a little more heat in the ferm-chamber this winter. This will be my first winter with the ferm-chamber so I want to be prepared.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My 60W reptile heater does fine in 30* temps.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

dutchoven, you dont even have "winter" in The City!

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 11-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use a 60w ceramic bulb also... but where I live it never gets all that cold.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

200W is overkill for a fermentation chamber, unless maybe it's setting outside in Fargo, ND. You'll find that the unit short-cycles.

If your freezer door seals are good, you'll find that 50-75W is plenty of heat load. If you can also run a small fan to evenly distribute the heat, you'll find that this works well. I use a motor and blades from a bathroom exhaust fan mounted in a double-gang box.

- CStone

Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodlemania
200W is overkill for a fermentation chamber, unless maybe it's setting outside in Fargo, ND. You'll find that the unit short-cycles.

If your freezer door seals are good, you'll find that 50-75W is plenty of heat load. If you can also run a small fan to evenly distribute the heat, you'll find that this works well. I use a motor and blades from a bathroom exhaust fan mounted in a double-gang box.
Depending on the insulation in his freezer, I'm calculating a max temperature differential of about 120° (under impossibly ideal conditions). If it's going to be outside in 0° weather, it's really not that overkill.

Short-cycling is definitely going to be an issue in warmer weather with that kind of output though, so I would really only want it if the heat is adjustable on that thing, or if it at least works on a dimmer. That way, you could decrease the wattage in order to avoid heating too quickly.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
CrystallineEntity
cosmozoan life-form
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 860 Times on 841 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have that heater. I have it connected to the dual stage temp controller everyone gets from ebay. Without that, it is either on or off. It does however have a fan built into it. I've only used it once, as it doesn't get that cold around here.

I fit right in with the people I admire most - David Yow

http://smokenator.com/

Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have that same My Heat heater in my mini fridge ferm chamber. This is the first winter I've used it for and it hasn't gotten that cold here yet, but it's been anywhere from 30 to 70 in the last few weeks in my garage and I am easily able to maintain mid 60 temps in my chamber with no hot/cold cycling. I have fans in my chamber and I attach the probe to the side of the better bottle with insulation. This heater seems to be working perfectly for me. I also think it has overheat protection and will only operate sitting upright so it seems pretty safe, but I have had it running for quite a while and it never gets hot to the touch.

I also have it sitting under a glass shelf to protect it from any condensation and I have it stuck to the fridge shelf using double sided tape.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Bump. Thinking about getting one of these...for those using it, any issues? Good purchase or should I stick with my 40W lightbulb?

Quick Reply