Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > SP-10: can it be used in a garage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
frerichs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SP-10: can it be used in a garage?

Hi,

I bought the Bayou Classic SP-10 as I intend to switch from partial to full boils.
I'm planning on buying a 10 gal. pot. Haven't decided between Polar ware, Megapot or Blichman; but that is another question. The question I have is:
Is it safe to use this in a garage? The burner arrived with all sorts of warnings not to use it under any coverings period. In fact it says to be like 15 feet away from them. I have plenty of yard, but none of it is level. Plus it tends to rain all winter in Oregon Anyway would it be safe to use this bad boy in the garage if I keep the fire extinguisher handy? Or should I go throw this on craigslist and buy a different burner?

For reference
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Explore similar items

Thanks
Nathan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would think as long as you have the garage door open for good ventilation you'll be fine. I just got the SP-10 too and I was cleaning some stuff today, firing it up for the first time on my back patio. It's gets pretty hot but only within maybe a foot of the burner. I'm planning on brewing in my garage. I'm on Oregon too. Where are you in OR?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Having a fire extinguisher is next to useless with a propane fire. I used to be a firefighter and the only way to fight a propane fire is to shut off the flow of propane. To put the fire out adds to the risk of explosion. Being honest, I am scared chitless of propane. Used properly, it is fine. I don't pass judgement, you do what you feel is right, but I would never use a propane burner in my garage.

I have seen the consequences of using propane indoors, although I do have to admit, it wasn't a home brewer. The poor guy was using a propane heater in his garage while working on his car and the garage door more than half open. After the Fire Marshall finished his investigation he surmised that the heater flame must have gone out and enough propane leaked by the time the guy realized the flame went out, that when he tried to relight the heater, he triggered an explosion that blew the garage off it's foundation. Unfortunately propane is heavier than air and does not dissipate quickly. The poor fella died 10 days later as a result of his burns.

Guy

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes you can but definitely more hazards.
is your hot water heater in the garage? (possible natural gas fumes ignition)
Anything combustible, clear it well away.
Open all doors leading to outside, ideally there's a healthy cross ventilation.
Put the burner on close to the driveway, almost outside to keep as many fumes outside and to make cleaning up spillovers easier.

By the way, I bought that exact burner from that exact vendor a month ago and it rocks.... It'll take several batches before the paint chips stop flaking off. Dunno why they even bother painting it...a powder coat would be better, cost i guess.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You will not find a propane burner that is approved for indoor use. Unless it is a gas range that is MEANT to be in doors. Or a Wok burner.

Also, aside from the burner, there are regulations on how much propane you can have in your home/garage. I beleive that per the safety regs. that comes to (2) 1 pound propane tanks, whether it be in your house or garage.

Bottom line is, all of this propane brewing gear is recommended for outdoor use for safety reasons, along with the propane tanks themselves. You can take the advice of anyone, but in the end if something happens, the insurance company will only be concerned with how it happened, not that someone on the internet gave you the go ahead.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a good reason to put in a cement slab with one of those canopy carports (just for brewing). In the winter you can put up a couple of plywood walls (like a room divider) to block the wind and have a place for the picnic table...which can be moved out from under when the weather is nicer.

Oh, and welcome!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Sometimes warnings are rather amusing. My propane wall heater says: "Do not use outdoors". But it came with a regulator and line for a 20lb tank that says: "Do not use indoors."

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have seen those heaters mounted say in a garage, but the regulator and tank are actually outside, since regulations do not support the propane being used or stored indoors. In that case, those warnings make perfect sense.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Sometimes warnings are rather amusing. My propane wall heater says: "Do not use outdoors". But it came with a regulator and line for a 20lb tank that says: "Do not use indoors."
Why is it amusing? It sounds like the heater is to be used indoors but the tank and regulator mounted outside the home.

Guy

Old 06-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The most important thing when using ANY open flame is COMMON SENSE!!!

All of those labels are a result of somebody's stupidity and a resulting lawsuit. The Lord and Master, Ron White says "You can't fix stupid" and he is dead nuts on. IF you are smart enough to follow the brewing directions and not boil your hands off the chances are you are smart enough to leave the garage door open a bit and understand the warning signs of CO exposure. Keep flammable liquids away and clean the floor of sawdust. Don't put the fire source next to an escape route. Use ur head and don't drink TOO MANY homebrews while doing it.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Quick Reply