Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > from the south, everything in a skillet.lol..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
woog11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default from the south, everything in a skillet.lol..

Looking at going to allgrain. I'm looking at a 30qt stainless steel pot, i only make 5 gal batches. It's really thin ,but i'm on a budget and its around $50.00. Ive heard alot about scorching the wort? Would it be possible to place a big cast iron skillet i have already under the pot to help even out the heat? any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the input. skip...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That may work, but if you are going all grain, you will probably need a bigger pot... I have an 8 gallon pot that I can barely fit enough runnings into for good post-boil efficiency. Also, with all-grain, you won't really be that concerned with scorching since you won't have any malt "solids" in your boil. The only time this might be relevant is in a very high gravity beer. For those doing extract, you still shouldn't be adding extract during the boil. It should be removed from the heat for the extract additions.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply