The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Some conical questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrazier77 View Post
I went with brewhemoth because it was able to control temps without being in a fridge. I use a cooler and a cheap pump controlled by a temp controller. I put frozen 2 liter bottles or an aquarium heater in the cooler.

I am very happy with it and want to get another one in the future.
did you run their chiller, or go a different route?

I dont want to put these in a fridge either. My basement stays pretty cool year-round but there have been a few times where i've had to do the ol' wet towel with a fan method on my buckets.

Quote:
Not sure about the layout of your house, but I had the same issue, and did this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-chute-306772/
I think i'm going to try running some tubing through the house to see how it does. Figure I can just hook up my pump upstairs and run starsan through the tub, down to the conical and then drain it out in to another bucket. I'm just hoping the pump can push it that far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Ben58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

For chilling my Brewhemoths, I use the "E-bay" aquarium controller driving a Little Giant condensate pump, which is filled with food grade anti-freeze in the beer fridge freezer. I used a high density foam camping mat for insulation on the outside, with a small heating pad under the insulation for heating. Works like a charm. Oh yeah, I bypassed / removed the float switch from the pump.

Last edited by Ben58; 03-14-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Moby
I need more gadgets....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default Brewhemoth Weld Quality

I'm not a welder, but looking at the Brewhemoth welds on their website make me question the quality. There seems to be a fair amount of discoloration on the welds...do the ones they ship out look like that too?

Does it matter?

I have a B3 conical and every weld is pretty, clean and unpitted (to the naked eye).

But given the price of the Brewhemoths, if their welds are actually quality, then that's a hell of a deal!

Moby

Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I am using the chiller that came with it, but I use an IC chiller to bring the wort down to pitching temps. My basement is not cold enough to ferment at 66 degrees without help. When I am fermenting 10 gallons the temp inside can easily be over 6 degrees higher than the room temp, during primary active fermentation that is.

I just use a cooler, water, a cheap $10 submersible pump, and a temp controller.

As for welds, I cannot weld SS but I have welded a lot of carbon steel. The metal will discolor often from the heat associated with welding. Polishing can remove it, but it is cosmetic only. I have actually visited where they make Brewhemoth before I bought mine and from what I saw I am comfortable with their welding and welds.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I like the idea of running the water to cool it for now.

If i was to run multiple conicals, then it might become an issue. Any chances are, i'll be getting a couple of these.

Can the brewhemoth be used for 5 gallons batches?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

5, 10 or 15 gallon, all work well!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Using the internal chilling coil on the hemoth, and/or an external heating pad, resulted in nearly 15degF temp differential between the top and bottom. This is after vigorous fermentation of course. During high krausen, it's pretty even top to bottom. I guess the welds could be better for the newer price. I'm happy in any case. Considered polishing them up myself, but I'm not sure now that I'll bother.

I need to get a chamber for it to go in.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Would make it alot easier to decide on who to go with if I get them to answer my emails

Got a quick response from Stout, but then havent heard back. Absolutely no response back from Brewhemoth and I sent my email well over a week ago Starting to lean towards the Stout conical anyways, but a little help from the seller(s) would be nice

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
CrankyBeaverBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i also am torn between brewhemoth and stout...
i like the brewhemoth design but not valves and everything bring it right back to stout..

hmmm desicions decisions

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyBeaverBrewery View Post
i also am torn between brewhemoth and stout...
i like the brewhemoth design but not valves and everything bring it right back to stout..

hmmm desicions decisions
the main thing i like about brehemoth better is the actual design and appearance.

I want all tri-clamps and it appears Stout comes with all that already. size is a tad smaller, but could be more friendly to handle because of that. Stout also still has the ability to push the beer to the keg with C02, has the racking arm, lower price and a couple other things. Its a pretty tough choice, and alot of money, but i'm really leaning towards Stout and just tossing up a cheap fermentation room to control temps. I figure I can build a room for the same price (likely less) than the cost of the chiller from Brewhemoth.

Quick Reply