Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Some conical questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Some conical questions..

Been considering getting some conicals to replace my buckets. Couple questions regarding them though..

1) I brew upstairs in my garage. The conicals would ideally be downstairs in the cool basement. I'm currently used to just pumping the wort from the kettle in to my bucket and hauling it downstairs so I'm not sure how I would go about doing this with a conical

2) Having a hard time deciding on a brand. The Stout ones seem nice for the price. Any cheaper/good alternatives?

3) Are there any "must have" options on these?

4) Lastly, i'm considering going with a 14g conical for my 10 gallon batches, but when I do 5 gallon batches, is this going to be too big of a conical to use?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Answered #4 by doing a bit more research. For some reason I couldnt find the answer before lol. Sounds like it would be just fine.

Another question though.. is a racking arm worth it in the conical? On the Stout site, it mentions they believe the rotating racking arm isn't worth it, but they dont mention a stationary one.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Brewhemoth brand offers more options, pressurizable to 160 psi, internal chilling, spunding valve option, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I was checking out those as well and they do seem pretty nice.

From what i can tell with the Brewhemoth is the Tri-clamp version doesnt include the valves, and the Stout tanks are tri-clamp and do include the valves. I'm not sure if the Stout conical can be pressurized though.

Internal chilling isnt a big deal for me since i'll be chilling through my plate chiller. Not sure if i would need the spunding valve or not since i think i would be doing all my carbonating in the kegs.

Also, no racking arm on the Brewhemoth, but i'm not sure if thats a big deal or not. And would a 20+ gallon fermenter be too big for the normal 5gallon batch?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v View Post
I was checking out those as well and they do seem pretty nice.

From what i can tell with the Brewhemoth is the Tri-clamp version doesnt include the valves, and the Stout tanks are tri-clamp and do include the valves. I'm not sure if the Stout conical can be pressurized though.

Internal chilling isnt a big deal for me since i'll be chilling through my plate chiller. Not sure if i would need the spunding valve or not since i think i would be doing all my carbonating in the kegs.

Also, no racking arm on the Brewhemoth, but i'm not sure if thats a big deal or not. And would a 20+ gallon fermenter be too big for the normal 5gallon batch?
The internal chilling option is more for fermentation temp control (I believe) than the initial chilling process after the boil.
If you are brewing upstairs and wish to run wort downstairs it seems like gravity would do well to help you out, but maintaining a hose long enough might become a problem (maybe a series of polysulphonate disconnects to break it into smaller chunks for sanitation purposes?)

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstoneline View Post
The internal chilling option is more for fermentation temp control (I believe) than the initial chilling process after the boil.
If you are brewing upstairs and wish to run wort downstairs it seems like gravity would do well to help you out, but maintaining a hose long enough might become a problem (maybe a series of polysulphonate disconnects to break it into smaller chunks for sanitation purposes?)
If thats the case, then i would guess that i could run the conical in the garage with the chiller in it to keep it cool. Not sure what i would or how i would hook it up to keep it chilled constantly, but i could see that being an option.

Aside from running hose to the garage, yea, i dont see any other way to get the wort to the conical. I do have a march pump, but i'm not sure if its strong enough to pump the wort that far.

Without the thermowell option on the brewhemoth, would I just stick a tape-on thermometer to the side of it?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
arkham_razors
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not sure about the layout of your house, but I had the same issue, and did this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-chute-306772/

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Alchemy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by riored4v

If thats the case, then i would guess that i could run the conical in the garage with the chiller in it to keep it cool. Not sure what i would or how i would hook it up to keep it chilled constantly, but i could see that being an option.

Aside from running hose to the garage, yea, i dont see any other way to get the wort to the conical. I do have a march pump, but i'm not sure if its strong enough to pump the wort that far.

Without the thermowell option on the brewhemoth, would I just stick a tape-on thermometer to the side of it?
The stout tanks have a thermowell option, I have a 7 gallon one without a thermowell and I love it. Rotating racking arm isnt too big of a deal in my book as the racking port is low enough where ther won't be much loss.
Bottled Bog Monster Cranberry Grape Melomel, Grape Burn and Pillage Pyment
Kegged A Dark Ale w/No Name, Tosh's Cinnamon Challenge Cider, Carabou Slobber

Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I went with brewhemoth because it was able to control temps without being in a fridge. I use a cooler and a cheap pump controlled by a temp controller. I put frozen 2 liter bottles or an aquarium heater in the cooler.

I am very happy with it and want to get another one in the future.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkham_razors View Post
Not sure about the layout of your house, but I had the same issue, and did this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-chute-306772/
I was going to suggest something like this. Although I'd personally use a larger opening that I ran silocone tubing through so I could remove the tubing and clean it. But that is me personally.

Quick Reply