New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Are sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate the same thing? are they washing sodas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
letsbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Are sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate the same thing? are they washing sodas?

Well now its hard to find PBW in Mexico (maybe the distributor doesnt import it any more) so i was using Oxyclean but has the little blue dots (i guess they make to foam, so the rinsing activity became harder but it works).

I came up with the idea of using sodium bicarbonate it comes in white powder. But doest it really works this stuff for cleaning in an alkaline way my equipment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

one is commonly called baking soda, the other is baking powder.

they are different.

no, they will not work as a replacement of cleaners like PBW or caustic soda or oxyclean.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You want sodium percarbonate, that's the ingredient in Oxyclean, pbw, etc. Most of us use oxyclean here in the states.

So look for a washing soda that contains an majority of SP.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

hehehehe it seems i want to bake some desserts hahahahah (no baking soda!!)

so its precarbonate what i need, i m going to search for some one or still using oxiclean

any way today i m gonna assist to a conference with the brewmaster of new belgium brewery and his head of production at the 4th Festival de la Cerveza in Guadalajara,Jalisco yeah!

Quick Reply