Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > So... what filter system works with an IC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
sensibull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default So... what kind of screen system does work with an IC?

I recently started using a keggle after installing a ball valve and dip tube (center pickup). I guess I didn't read up enough, because both of my batches so far have gotten horribly clogged. For the first one I used a SS bazooka tube, like those used in cooler MLT but looped back on itself to form a circle. For the second, I removed the bazooka tube and just hoped the cold break and hop sludge would flow through the pickup tube as I was planning to filter on the other side, as it flowed into the fermenter. Well, it stuck again. Immediately.

So, my question is, what kind of filtration system works with an immersion chiller and pellet hops? I've read the false bottoms and hopstoppers are out due to cold break matter and I'd rather avoid using a hopsock as I want full utilization.

Thanks in advance...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
johntangus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i bent my dip tube so it picks up more on the side instead of in the center. i've never had a single clog - lots of break material and hops make it into my fermenter, but it settles out during fermentation.

If you bend your tube and it still is getting clogged, i'd use a nylon bag for your hops. i've never heard of not getting full utilization.

Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time? Because I like to party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply