Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > So if you are not using Corn what are you using?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default So if you are not using Corn what are you using?

I have a few Beer Pigs and about 20 Corneilus Kegs but have been considering getting rid of the Corneys and getting "real" beer kegs.

I was wondering if some of you have moved on from Corneys and using 1/6s or something else.

ME? I am tired for fighting with them,,, though that may change if I can build a Keg Washer...

So if you have moved on... what are your opinions of your current system?

DPB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

why? what's not to like about corney kegs?

I use sanke kegs as fermenters but much prefer corney kegs for serving beer. Sanke kegs are much harder to clean and sanitize unless you have a keg cleaning system. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty expensive pump to clean sanke kegs without removing the spear. Corney kegs are much easier to take apart and the big lid makes cleaning much easier.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
DPBISME
Recipes 

Default Just wondering if there is an easiler way

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
why? what's not to like about corney kegs?

I use sanke kegs as fermenters but much prefer corney kegs for serving beer. Sanke kegs are much harder to clean and sanitize unless you have a keg cleaning system. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty expensive pump to clean sanke kegs without removing the spear. Corney kegs are much easier to take apart and the big lid makes cleaning much easier.
I have been kegging with corneys for 12 years and just wondered/researching to see if there is better way...

I don't know much about sankes, hell... I don't even know what a "spear" is...

Any way that I go I am pretty sure I am going to buy a few firkins to make some "Real Ale" IPA's to age for a year or so...

Happy Brewing

Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can make "Real Ale" With a Corny. Just add priming sugar to the corny(about 2.5oz of dextrose is what I normally use), seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks. If you want to be true to form and not use any extra CO2 you might want to fashion or buy a beer engine, or elevate it and use some if the residual co2 to start a siphon and let gravity do it from there after off gassing the extra CO2 with the pressure release valve. Boom, no need for firkins.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
DPBISME
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbrewer View Post
You can make "Real Ale" With a Corny. Just add priming sugar to the corny(about 2.5oz of dextrose is what I normally use), seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks. If you want to be true to form and not use any extra CO2 you might want to fashion or buy a beer engine, or elevate it and use some if the residual co2 to start a siphon and let gravity do it from there after off gassing the extra CO2 with the pressure release valve. Boom, no need for firkins.
Yep... I knew that as I have been "priming" a lot of my kegs and my local Homebrew Club has a "Real Ale" party each year... this years had 11 kegs to try.

The reason I want the Firkin is to be ale to Celler Age a few beers for a year and I don't want to use my Corneys since they are needed for the beer I have in the pipeline...

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Fair enough.

Quick Reply