Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Smashed the carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #61
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3523 Times on 2177 Posts
Likes Given: 3013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMoreBeers View Post
I do not like the deflection in the BB when they are moved.
Although I'm a big BB fanboy, I agree with you on this. I hate the accidental suckback when I forget pick one up and forget to tilt the airlock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #62
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
Actually, I meant hot tap water. The only way you could safely use hot water at any temp would be to pre heat the carboy evenly before filling it. The stresses caused by uneven heating is enough to break a carboy. Think about it, you start filling the carboy with hot water, the bottom starts to heat while the sides are still cool, the expansion of the glass at the bottom is faster than the sides. This could cause a failure, and possibly a trip to the emergency room.
That is in no way possible. Room temperature is about 70F and the hottest tap water is maybe 120F if you're nuts enough to put it that high. a 50F temp differential could in no way cause glass to shatter. If it did, then people would be routinely breaking wine glasses and pint glasses when they do the dishes. Both of those glasses have thinner glass than a carboy.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #63
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 196

It is certainly possible and you should always try to minimize the thermal shock to glass. Glass vessels are often broken when one doesn't heed this advice.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #64
fc36
Recipes 

Honestly, anything is possible and glass can shatter from thermal shock, but the possibility is virtually nonexistent. I shouldn't go spouting off that it's entirely impossible. When glass fails due to thermal shock it's usually due to a thicker bottom that actually expands slower, not faster, than the sides of that glass vessel or it's due to a preexisting crack or chip that expands due to thermal shock. The big 6.5 gallon carboys are a uniform thickness all the way around the sides and on the bottom. The 5 and 6 gallon carboys are the same except for those ribs running up and down and around the sides. There isn't a huge difference in thickness between the sides and bottom for thermal shock to exploit and unless you've decided to use a cracked/chipped carboy then most people won't have integrity issues with their carboys. The idea that glass can break due to a 50 degree differential is theoretically possible, but only in extenuating circumstances. There's no need to scare everyone with your doomsday prophecies that their carboys will break if not properly preheated. If you take good care of your glass carboys and don't hit them against tubsides, then they won't shatter. I have several friends who've been homebrewing for 10+ years each and none of them have ever had a carboy shatter when cleaning with hot water and a lukewarm carboy. I'd be interested to see if there are people out there who've managed to break a carboy like this?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #65
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36 View Post
That is in no way possible. Room temperature is about 70F and the hottest tap water is maybe 120F if you're nuts enough to put it that high. a 50F temp differential could in no way cause glass to shatter. If it did, then people would be routinely breaking wine glasses and pint glasses when they do the dishes. Both of those glasses have thinner glass than a carboy.
You're talking about a much smaller glass vessel than a carboy. A large glass vessel has much more surface area than a wine or pint glass, hence the variation of temperature from the bottom to the sides. Glass, like everything else, expands when it's heated. Smaller vessels, such as a beer bottle, will heat (expand) more evenly due to the smaller size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #66
fc36
Recipes 

Once again, I'm asking all people out there if anyone has ever actually experienced a carboy breaking under the incredible strain of a 50F temperature differential? I realize glass can break due to temperature differential. Ancient cultures used temperature differential to quarry stone. However, unless you've decided to use a carboy that's already cracked or chipped and has integrity issues and you don't take care of your equipment or inspect it, this will almost certainly never happen to you.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #67
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 53

i dont know how i stumbled into this thread but no I have never experienced it and I do this all the damn time

Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #68
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Removed

Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #69
Michelob6
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

On my glass fermenters I bought some polyurethane caulk and smeared the bottom with about 1/4" of it so i don't worry about setting it down. I also used silglaze on the perimeter kind of like a spider web pattern. I have now fear now in case they accidentally clank together.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #70
fc36
Recipes 

Here's what happened to me 2 years ago when I smashed mine against the side of my tub. Don't worry, don't worry, no beer was harmed just me as I had just finished transferring it to secondary. That damn PBW makes the outside of the carboys pretty slippery. Anyways, I ended up with 19 stitches, 11 across my left toes and 8 more on my left ring finger. Pretty wicked, but it was not because of thermal shock. It was because of physical shock. Anyways, no need to worry, carboys are great and they're amazing for fermentation, but you must treat them with care and with respect because they can cause serious harm if broken.

2010-07-02-09.59.23.jpg   2010-07-02-09.59.18.jpg   2010-07-01-21.38.09.jpg   2010-07-01-21.38.28.jpg   2010-07-02-14.21.44.jpg  

Quick Reply