New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > small oxygen tanks and regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
neumann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default small oxygen tanks and regulator

Do the threads on the small oxygen tanks match what is found on full size tanks? For example, if I wanted to use this tank with this regulator with a hose and stone, would that be possible? I realize this is a significantly more expensive way of getting oxygen in my beer than some of the other pre-made solutions, but my LHBS doesn't have any of those solutions and I would like to brew tomorrow. Any feedback?

Primary: *empty*
Secondary: *empty*
Lagerring: Oktoberfest
Kegged: Deep Roots Oak Aged American IPA, Hopped Up Wheat Ale, Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Very different TPI on those regulators. The one for small bottles (the Lowe's link) is 20TPI, where a standard O2 regulator is 13TPI (using my TPI gauge set).

If you're looking to use a standard sized (welding gas) O2 tank, then get a regulator that also has a flow meter on it. I scored one off ebay a few weeks back for pretty short money. I just had to get the fitting to go to the 3/16" ID tubing that connects to my oxygenation wand. That was a few dollars on Amazon.

Only the initial hardware cost will be more with the full size tank setup. You'll get tons more batches this way. Plus, with an actual flow meter on the regulator, you'll KNOW how much O2 you're infusing the wort with. That will allow you to calculate the O2 PPM numbers.

Check any local welding supply stores/shops in your area. You could find one that has an O2 regulator already setup with a flow meter. Get the tank from them too, and you're done (assuming you have the stone and rest of the setup)... I would also get them to either set up the regulator with a 1/4" fitting to go to swivel nuts, or to a 3/16" barb for you.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I'm pretty sure the CGA 540 threaded regulator you linked to is for the larger O2 bottles. It won't fit the tank you linked to. Those require a different "regulator" and they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. It won't help you for tomorrow, but here is what you need http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN-REGULATOR-P700.aspx

Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't believe that you will be able to adapt that cylinder to the regulator you have. The regulator you show has a CGA 540 (industrial type) fitting and the disposable cylinder CGA 601 are completely different. And I have not been able to find an adapter.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

That's the small regulator that I actually checked the threads on... Not using it at all since getting the one with a flow meter, that works with my full size O2 tank (forget the volume size, but it uses a standard regulator). For a while I used the PSI regulator from my old welding setup, until I got the flow meter regulator. Worked pretty well, just couldn't tell how much O2 was going into the wort (no reading on the low pressure gauge). With the flow meter setup, you see what the O2 LpM rate is, so you KNOW how much O2 is going into the wort.

I did get the complete setup, originally, from Williams... Love the air stone on the wand. I did change the tubing to use 3/16" ID beer line, so that I could clamp it.

Either way, using pure O2 makes for even better brews into your glass...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
neumann
Recipes 

what i am getting from most of your replies is that there isn't a good way for me to get what i need by tomorrow and that i should order a small regulator and just brew next weekend

Kegged: Deep Roots Oak Aged American IPA, Hopped Up Wheat Ale, Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale

Last edited by neumann; 11-05-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: that came out way whinier than what i intended

Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
neumann
Recipes 

OK, new idea. What about this? I see the regulator i need right there. it looks like the two hoses are stuck together but that they might come apart. what if i put pulled that black hose off and put the hose with my stone in its place?

Old 11-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumann View Post
OK, new idea. What about this? I see the regulator i need right there. it looks like the two hoses are stuck together but that they might come apart. what if i put pulled that black hose off and put the hose with my stone in its place?
That will work. You will pay more in the long run for the low pressure/low volume cylinders.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
neumann
Recipes 

I know that the small bottle isn't ideal but I simply haven't got anywhere to keep a bigger bottle of O2. How many 5 gallon batches of beer can be oxygenated with one of the small bottles? I don't need it for any other use but beer.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

$60 for something you'll only use one small part from?? Not a good idea in my book. Better to get the Lowe's regulator, tank and some beer line from the LHBS to connect up to the stone. If there are no welding shops/stores in your area, call some on Monday and see about getting a regulator setup to go to large tanks, with the flow meter. Or search on ebay for one that will work. use an O2 tank for welding (you'll need the regulator with the correct connection) means you won't need a Rx to get it filled/replaced.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply