Slow Leak out of Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryLove

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am very new to the brewing process and have made one batch before that turned out pretty well with no major issues. However, on my second batch, I have a slow leak at the spigot during primary fermentation. The yeast was pitched approximately 36 hours ago and I first noticed the leak the next morning. I have been reading around on the forums for the best remedy, but haven't quite reached a consensus.

I currently have a sterilized bag around the base of the primary fermenter to catch any leaking wort, but I'm concerned about bacteria and/or oxidation affecting the beer. Should I just continue as is or should I try to siphon the liquid to a glass carboy even though it's about 36 hours in?

Thanks in advance for any help. It's greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't have an issue with stuff getting in as long as you still have positive pressure on the fermentor (airlock is bubbling out and not in).

Generically, check for a crack in your spigot, that the handle is seated all the way down. If you're sure its internal to the spigot and not external, sanatize both the spigot and a small piece of tubing that fits, put it over the end, and clamp it shut (may also need to lightly clamp to the spigot). That will cover you until you go to secondary . If this doesn't work, make sure your spigot is seated tightly to the bucket.

You'll probably have to replace it for the next batch.

Thanks. One more quick question... Will it be very obvious when the airlock is bubbling? I checked yesterday afternoon and I didn't notice any activity. I actually thought maybe some of the vodka that I filled the airlock with was gone, so maybe that indicates the pressure is off? My first batch was with a Mr. Beer kit so I haven't seen an airlock in action.

Airlock action doesn't necessarily occur - make sure your vodka is filled up to the fill line, and then check gravity with your hydrometer in a day or two if it doesn't react.

Airlock action doesn't necessarily occur - make sure your vodka is filled up to the fill line, and then check gravity with your hydrometer in a day or two if it doesn't react.

I just checked again and the vodka is definitely still in there... must have glanced too quickly earlier. Thanks a lot for your help.

Let me be "that guy", if I may. I know that it doesn't help you today, but in the future, ferment in a carboy or a bucket that does not have a spigot. That way, there is no chance for a leak.

The bucket with a spigot is your bottling bucket. You don't want to ferment in it even if it didn't leak, as the trub will likely block the spigot... and you can't really mix your priming sugar in well without kicking up trub, which you'd prefer to keep out of your bottles.

Let me be "that guy", if I may. I know that it doesn't help you today, but in the future, ferment in a carboy or a bucket that does not have a spigot. That way, there is no chance for a leak.

The bucket with a spigot is your bottling bucket. You don't want to ferment in it even if it didn't leak, as the trub will likely block the spigot... and you can't really mix your priming sugar in well without kicking up trub, which you'd prefer to keep out of your bottles.

I fully welcome the advice and acknowledge that I have little idea of what I'm doing at this point, haha. Have to start somewhere.

What would you recommend I do in terms of bottling considering that I have an empty glass carboy to use? My initial plan was to skip the secondary fermentation because the kit didn't recommend it, but I didn't think about the spigot getting blocked. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I fully welcome the advice and acknowledge that I have little idea of what I'm doing at this point, haha. Have to start somewhere.

What would you recommend I do in terms of bottling considering that I have an empty glass carboy to use? My initial plan was to skip the secondary fermentation because the kit didn't recommend it, but I didn't think about the spigot getting blocked. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rack it to secondary, let it sit for a couple days to a week to nicely clear up. Clean your bottling bucket out, fix the leak in the spigot, rack back to it and bottle.

Back