Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Slightly OT: extending water line into garage..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
beergears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Slightly OT: extending water line into garage..?

This is not strictly beer-making yet related;

I am gradually setting things up in the basement, near laundry area, and this wil not really work out well, long-term.

My garage is really a chunk taken out of basement floor plan (think house on a slope).
My plan is to establish a corner of the garage dedicated to brew days, and to run a cold water flexible tubing form laundry area, semi-permanenty attached in place, to one of these laundry plastic sinks on four legs (rinsing, IC feed water, etc, draining to bucket or lawn nearby). The water line will only be "live" when brewing.

I think there is a reinforced water plastic tubing for this "temporary" kind of setup.

Would anybody know the best type to use?

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Disclaimer, I know NOTHING about this.... but my Brother-in-Law is remodeling his kitchen, and tore out a wall...... and while he was in there, he had a friend help him re-plumb all of the 2nd floor feed lines.... he used what looked to me (untrained eye) to be 1/2" silicone tubing?!? bright red, used copper T's and 90's with "zip-tie" style hose clamps on the fittings. Just a thought.

AquaPEX might be the product : http://pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=25&brandid= ... but that's just from visually ID'ing it. i'll try to call him and ask.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Beerlord
Recipes 

Depending on where you live you need to keep the line from freezing, that means going below the frost line.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I think he means his garage is part of the house, kind of like in this pic :
http://webpages.charter.net/ramesnad/House/Front%20of%20House.jpg

(It's a hair big, I wont bother y'all by inserting it inline)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
beergears

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, Chriso is right, that is the approximate configuration.

The line would stay in semi-heated areas, no outside exposure.

Chriso, that would be interesting to know the actual source of the material you BIL used.

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's called PEX tubing, it is molecularly cross-linked Poly-ethylene. Aquapex is one brand, made by a company called Upinor (used to be Wirsbo). PEX comes in potable and non-potable varieties, so make sure you get the correct type. Any consumer plumbing supply house sells it and should be happy to show you how to make the connections. It is fairly easy to work with.

Good Luck.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
It's called PEX tubing, it is molecularly cross-linked Poly-ethylene. Aquapex is one brand, made by a company called Upinor (used to be Wirsbo). PEX comes in potable and non-potable varieties, so make sure you get the correct type. Any consumer plumbing supply house sells it and should be happy to show you how to make the connections. It is fairly easy to work with.

Good Luck.
Be warned you will have to rent a tool to attach all fittings, this is good stuff, I just helped a buddy plumb his house with it. Supposed to be better than pvc or cpvc.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Beerlord
Recipes 

Oh, ok, attached garage. May as well run a seperate hot water tank too, that way you can have it set at your dough in temp, thats my dream anyway. I looked at pex when i was doing my under groudn sprinklers, just seemed too exspensive after renting the tool.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sharkbite makes a simple snap fitting for copper and PEX http://www.cashacme.com/. I've seen them at homedepot for around $5 a fitting. I also seem to remember the PEX being cheaper than copper now since the prices have been going up

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've done a little work with PEX and the plumbing I had done two years ago was all done in PEX. It is as easy to use as any plastic tubing. The fitting sound expensive, but since the piping is continuous, you generally only need two. I had a bit of trouble with a PEX-to-galvanized connector leaking. Extra Teflon tape took care of it. According to the specs, the water in a PEX system can freeze without damaging it or causing leaks. Might check that the hard way tonight or tomorrow night as the temperatures head into the teens.

Contractors around here love it, because unlike copper, it has zero scrap value and doesn't get stolen.

[Anything relating to preparing to brew or improve brewing conditions, IS on topic.]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 01-22-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply