Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Size of drilled holes. (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/size-drilled-holes-65314/)

paulthenurse 05-09-2008 04:46 AM

Size of drilled holes.
 
So I'm gettting a few of Jaybirds false bottoms and we're talking about what size hole to drill. I've go no idea about any sort of plumbing, except I know that everytime |I do any sort of plumbing it involves at least 6 trips to the hardware store. I figured I'd use a 3/8" ID nipple. Anyone know what the OD is for that?

PTN

Chris_Dog 05-09-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulthenurse (Post 671324)
I've go no idea about any sort of plumbing, except I know that everytime |I do any sort of plumbing it involves at least 6 trips to the hardware store.

PTN

I though I was alone on that!

Sorry I can't help you out on the diameter.

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

Jaybird 07-01-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulthenurse (Post 671324)
So I'm gettting a few of Jaybirds false bottoms and we're talking about what size hole to drill. I've go no idea about any sort of plumbing, except I know that everytime |I do any sort of plumbing it involves at least 6 trips to the hardware store. I figured I'd use a 3/8" ID nipple. Anyone know what the OD is for that?

PTN

PTN
Are you going to use a tiptube? If so you have no plumbing to do. bend your dip tub as if your not going to have a false bottom. Then just drill the false bottom the same size as the OD of the copper tubing and run it through the hole. There is no need to connect the false bottom to the tiptube. Those false bottoms a tuff enough to take the load of 30# of wet grain and then some.
Sorry it I am to late I just saw the thread.
Cheers
Jay

BrewBeemer 07-01-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1408962)
PTN
Are you going to use a tiptube? If so you have no plumbing to do. bend your dip tub as if your not going to have a false bottom. Then just drill the false bottom the same size as the OD of the copper tubing and run it through the hole. There is no need to connect the false bottom to the tiptube. Those false bottoms a tuff enough to take the load of 30# of wet grain and then some.
Sorry it I am to late I just saw the thread.
Cheers
Jay

If you don't feel safe with the grain load on top of the false bottom add four 8-32 stainless screws with nuts as stilts to support the screened false bottom from flexing or bowing down under the grain weight load.
I had one fold up with 56 pounds of grain in the MLT on a srout. Prevention is a hell of a lot better than a massive false bottom collapse failure in the middle of a MLT process. A dollars worth of nuts and screws is a easy prevention of possible later trouble, lesson learned instead of being told "it should hold", WRONG! Trust your instincts you'll be out of trouble more offten.

paulthenurse 07-06-2009 01:29 PM

Very good idea. One I adopted some time ago. Jay makes pissah screens and I don't want to screw them up, so I screwed them and bolted them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.