Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Site tube and thermometer for keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Site tube and thermometer for keggle

I'm looing to add a site tub and termometer to both my boil kettle and my soon to be made HLT. I'm looking at the setup msold by NB.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/weldless.html
part #7563 sorry they don't have individual part pages

Has anyone got any experience with this? It seems awful cheep compared to morebeer's site tubes

http://morebeer.com/search/102318

Does NB's kit include the tube or is it just the fittings?

Also, are 1/8" thermometers standard? None of the ones on thier site give that measurement, all they say is the size of the thread.

Thanks

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I got mine at IHS and it looks pretty close to what you're looking at - works great!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You have to look close at what you're getting with the kits. Do you want all stainless or are you OK with brass? You want real glass or can you like with polycarb plastic? Will you use a dial thermo with 1/2" MPT or a remote probe?

I'm personally looking at using a sight on all three of my kegs and I'm thinking about having a stainless T welded directly into the keg. I'll put a compression fitting on the top and insert a sacrificed 1/2" racking cane ($3 each). In the front of the T I'm thinking about threading in a 1/2" MPT thermo from Stpats.com

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'll put a compression fitting on the top and insert a sacrificed 1/2" racking cane ($3 each).
Be careful with that. Racking canes are brittle plastic and can crack around the ferrules. I'd use teflon/nylon fittings/ferrules if available or consider using poly type or teflon tubing. At the very least, I would never install a sight glass without a shutoff valve, that's really asking for trouble.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well looks like I'll call NB today to see what it the kit contains. I just can't tell from the pic and description if the tube itself is inclused or just the fittings. I really want one that is a combo gauge/thermometer since I only want to drill one hole.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I bought the Thermosight from Northern Brewer and installed it in all 3 of my kegs. I think they are a great idea, but they were a challenge to install. I have a step drill bit and drilled a perfect hole, but I just couldn't get everything to come together tight enough so it wouldn't leak. I believe they have an inherent flaw in their design where the 'close nipple' gets wider towards the middle... so it makes it impossible to tighten it far enough. The ultimate solution was to put several SS washers on each side until it could tighten enough not to leak. One of mine still drips, but it's just the HLT and I just put a cup under it during brewing.

To answer some of your questions, yes NBs Thermosights come with everything you need including the tube (except extra washers and Teflon tape). They take standard 1/8" probe thermometers, but if I remember correctly I think they can go up to 1/4". I know most everyone here likes digital, but I prefer analog bimetallic thermometers. I use Taylor... they're cheap, reliable, and calibratable. PS... for a1/8" probe thermometer on the Thermosight, I had to wrap the probe where it meets the fitting on the Thermosight with teflon tape to make it leak-proof, but it worked like a charm.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine
I bought the Thermosight from Northern Brewer and installed it in all 3 of my kegs. I think they are a great idea, but they were a challenge to install. I have a step drill bit and drilled a perfect hole, but I just couldn't get everything to come together tight enough so it wouldn't leak. I believe they have an inherent flaw in their design where the 'close nipple' gets wider towards the middle... so it makes it impossible to tighten it far enough. The ultimate solution was to put several SS washers on each side until it could tighten enough not to leak. One of mine still drips, but it's just the HLT and I just put a cup under it during brewing.

To answer some of your questions, yes NBs Thermosights come with everything you need including the tube (except extra washers and Teflon tape). They take standard 1/8" probe thermometers, but if I remember correctly I think they can go up to 1/4". I know most everyone here likes digital, but I prefer analog bimetallic thermometers. I use Taylor... they're cheap, reliable, and calibratable. PS... for a1/8" probe thermometer on the Thermosight, I had to wrap the probe where it meets the fitting on the Thermosight with teflon tape to make it leak-proof, but it worked like a charm.
Thanks mensch, just what I needed to know. Looks like I'll be getting a couple for my rigs. Got 2 Perlicks on order and looking at getting a hopstopper. Man I love getting new toys

Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You guys way want to consider other options than o-rings for sealing your fittings. I use Gore-tex gasket material - best stuff on the planet.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I bought the Thermosight probably six months ago, it's been sitting on the workbench ever since. I want a sight tube, I *need* a sight tube, I just hate putting another hole in the keggle...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I know a lot of people use weldless but I've also been reading a lot of problems with them getting a seal and that's why I'm stuck on welding. It's costly on labor, but you do save a bit in materials. Since I know this hole will always be dedicated to the thermometer/sightglass, I don't have any qualms about directly welding the Tee in to the kettle.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply