Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Siphoning with the Carboy Cap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #81
AugustDerleth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thank you very much for this! I highly prefer this over a stopper. I've jammed stoppers into fermenters and dropped them in before, and I tend to have a hard time getting them out. The cap is awesome and easy! Obviously, I was going from bucket to carboy but I just used the pre-drilled hole in the bucket lid and slid my cane through that so there was still VERY little interaction with outside air. I used suction on the small stem to begin the syphon, it took quite a bit of energy and a few different breaths but once it started I just walked away, love that it's hands-free!
Close up of rack in progress: and I took the cap off of the side-stem, it was nothing but co2 being pushed out so no oxygen was getting in. If you leave that cap on, the syphon slows and will eventually blow the cap off haha.
Finished w/ airlock in:
RDWHAHB

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

SWIBA: (She Who Is Bad Ass) bought me a 6gal Better Bottle! Excellent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #82
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelic View Post
How much of a problem is it to siphon with your mouth?? I'm getting the impression that it can ruin your batch, is that the case (because of bacteria or exposure to air) ? Or is all this attention to detail in the interest of perfection and really just neurotic / OCD behaviour ?
Yeaaaaahhhhh don't do that. If you are forced to use a regular cane and not an auto-syphon, what I did originally was to take some brand new in the package, kitchen yellow latex gloves, cut the fingers off from the palm and the tips off, soak them in sanitizer then slide them over the end of the tube so when you go to jump-start the syphoning, your mouth only comes in contact with that latex rubber glove. As the liquid begins coming, quickly pull that latex off, get to rackin, and then throw that away! Cheap and effective way to stay sanitary with your current equipment. Though I will say a fermtech auto-syphon is MORE than worth the 12.99 they charge at LHBS. good luck!
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, S.O.F. Ale, D.C.O.S., AAA2, AAA3, OSS, SS211, DPDB, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Arachnid Brown Ale, Oktoberfeast, Apple Cider1, Apple Cider2, AAA1

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #83
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well done, Walker-san

I'd thought I'd post a photo of how I push beer from primary to keg using a carboy cap. This is a black ale being pushed from freezer/fermentation chamber to corny keg using CO2 @ ~7 psi

The output goes into a CO2 purged, sanitized keg. The output hose is connected to the "out" post on the keg.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #84
DungeonBeast
Recipes 

PSI over 10 will blow the carboy cap right off!!! just saying.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #85
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustDerleth View Post
Yeaaaaahhhhh don't do that. If you are forced to use a regular cane and not an auto-syphon, what I did originally was to take some brand new in the package, kitchen yellow latex gloves, cut the fingers off from the palm and the tips off, soak them in sanitizer then slide them over the end of the tube so when you go to jump-start the syphoning, your mouth only comes in contact with that latex rubber glove. As the liquid begins coming, quickly pull that latex off, get to rackin, and then throw that away! Cheap and effective way to stay sanitary with your current equipment. Though I will say a fermtech auto-syphon is MORE than worth the 12.99 they charge at LHBS. good luck!
I purchased a little sanitary filter that fits into the side hole of the carboy cap that I blow into to start the siphon. I got it from an online brew shop for a couple bucks and it was sold for this purpose.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #86
AugustDerleth
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
I purchased a little sanitary filter that fits into the side hole of the carboy cap that I blow into to start the siphon. I got it from an online brew shop for a couple bucks and it was sold for this purpose.
Yeah, what I was telling him about was not having to do with the carboy caps. Just for general bucket or fermenter racking. With the carboy cap, you don't actually need any kind of secondary piece of equipment. You can just create suction on the receiving carboys end and everything will remain sanitary. . .

Old 12-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #87
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonBeast View Post
PSI over 10 will blow the carboy cap right off!!! just saying.
notice the radiator clamp holding the carboy cap.

Stop by sometime. I'll show you.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #88
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

Hugh Jass.. LOL@ your user name!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #89
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelic View Post
How much of a problem is it to siphon with your mouth?? I'm getting the impression that it can ruin your batch, is that the case (because of bacteria or exposure to air) ? Or is all this attention to detail in the interest of perfection and really just neurotic / OCD behaviour ?
The tubing on my racking cane is 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD. I bought a little bit of 1/2" ID tubing and after sanitizing both I slide a short piece of the 1/2" ID tubing over the end of the 3/8" ID tubing. Suck on the 1/2" tubing to get it started and then separate. Duck soup.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #90
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4611 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
notice the radiator clamp holding the carboy cap.
OT a bit, but do those carboy caps lose elasticity after multiple uses? Trying to determine if I get some more of the brewers hardware sanke conversion kits or go this route...

Quick Reply