Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Siphoning with the Carboy Cap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupusUmbrus
Nice post, Walker. Do the caps really hold the racking canes in place vertically? If so, I'll probably 'convert' to this system if / when my auto-siphon dies.

In regards to the canes, did they have a tip on the bottoms when you got them? If so, were they difficult to remove?
The canes are not held perfectly vertical. They tend to angle away from where the hose is attached (the weight of the hose pulls them to the side a bit.) However, for the first 90% of the siphon it doesn't matter. Only as you get into that last 1/2 gallon to you need to worry about it, and I usually just steer it with my hand at that point, tip the carboy, and get the last of the good stuff out.

As for the tips on the canes; Yes, they came with little orange tips to help with trub control. I just forgot to put them back onto the canes in those pics. Mine come right off with no work at all. I just pull on them and they slide off easily.

-walker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I actually picked up one of these my last trip to the brewstore on Walker's recommendations. Can't wait to try it out for the first time tonight!

Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #13
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
The canes are not held perfectly vertical. They tend to angle away from where the hose is attached (the weight of the hose pulls them to the side a bit.) However, for the first 90% of the siphon it doesn't matter. Only as you get into that last 1/2 gallon to you need to worry about it, and I usually just steer it with my hand at that point, tip the carboy, and get the last of the good stuff out.

As for the tips on the canes; Yes, they came with little orange tips to help with trub control. I just forgot to put them back onto the canes in those pics. Mine come right off with no work at all. I just pull on them and they slide off easily.

-walker
I was just wonding if you ever had trouble with keeping the cane above the trub. In typical early morning fashion, it didn't even occur to me that if the tips were removable, you could just put them back on after threading the cane through the cap

Old 10-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Walker

Recipes 

Tip on use. Don't use too much sucking or blowing. Blow/suck firmly, but don't try to empty/fill your lungs. It only takes a small difference in pressure to get the beer moving through the hose. Blow/suck a small amount of air in/out and give the system a few seconds to cope with the sudden difference in pressure. That's usually enough to get things moving, and then you can remove your mouth.

-walker

Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupusUmbrus
I was just wonding if you ever had trouble with keeping the cane above the trub. In typical early morning fashion, it didn't even occur to me that if the tips were removable, you could just put them back on after threading the cane through the cap
yeah, that's what you do. Remove tip, insert cane, re-attach tip.

Even if you don't have a tip for the cane, the cap holds the cane firmly. It will not slide up and down. You can position the tip of the cane a full 8 inches off the bottom if you want to stay way clear of the trub.

As the beer drops and gets nearer the tip of the cane, you can push down on the cane to force it deeper into the brew and let the siphon keep going.

-walker

Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #16
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default my order

i just ordered one of these as well. i've had this carboy for about 6 years and haven't used it once!!! now it will be easyier to transfer. ty for the help!!

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 10-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Just used mine for the first time tonight. Order came today, bottled my IPA. Easy to set up. For about a quarter of the siphon I had an air bubble, or better put, a large air void in the hose that I couldn't get rid of. Tried blowing more, wouldn't go away. Moved the cane in the carboy and like magic it started siphoning perfectly. I think I had an air leak between the carboy and the cap. Other than that, worked great for the first time.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-24-2005, 06:33 AM   #18
Walker

Recipes 

if you get an air bubble in the line, pinch it for a second with your thumb and forefinger, near the top of the bubble. It will go away.

-walker

Old 10-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #19
Thor

Recipes 

Default Thanks for the details!

I wish I saw this thread this morning, as I just struggled through my first siphon. After trying to figure out how to get a flow without poisoning my wort, I ended up gargling with vodka and cheating, that is, sucking a bit on the end of the hose to be placed inside my carboy. Hopefully this was brief enough to avoid the blue meanies; I think it will be fine.

Nonetheless, I plan on this method moving forward, and I appreciate the details!

Enjoy!

-------------
On-deck: an ESB; a Sierra Nevada Porter clone; an Irish Ale
Primary: cleaning
Secondary 1: Summer Wheat
Secondary 2: American Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Lonely
Bottled/Drinking: Heineken clone w/Calif. Ale yeast; Fat Tire clone

Old 12-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Carrying on from this post and one a day or so ago.

I tried racking with the carboy caps today and after the debate on using a filter and blowing into the cap or sucking on the end, I used the technique of pressurising with CO2. It worked like a dream, one short shot of co2 and it started. I also purged my secondary with CO2 first. So it should mean my brew got racked with out coming into contact with any bugs from me or any O2.

Quick Reply